need 2.5 lakh server rig

tec

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: to be used as a server for red hat linux running minimum 10 nodes...... applicationt that will be running on it are quantum wise, silvaco, cadence, matlab, etc

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 2lakh 50 thousand

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:yes if possible in budget

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:red hat linux

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: minimum 250 GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:not needed will be added later

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:eek:nly components needed for server i need to buy no need of components like mouse keyboard and monitor

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:as soon as possible ( within a week)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:already done before

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:delhi

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: RAM NEEDED -25 GB
its a college based server to allow multiple student logins....

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
wow, 2.5L for a college? id suggest take a look at existing IBM Blade / Dell Enterprise Servers.

Intel Core i7 3960X Sandy Bridge @ 57k
2 x ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 4 GB DDR5 Graphics Card @ 64k Leadtek Nvidia Quadro 4000 2GB @ 52k / Dual GTX 580 SLI @ 50k
ASUS P9X79 PRO Motherboard @ 20k
Gskill RipjawsX 8GB RAM F3-17000CL9Q-8GBZH x8 @ 64k [64 GB ram]
Intel 520 240 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive @ 20k
WD 1 TB Black Desktop Internal Hard Drive @ 6.2k
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window @ 13.5k
Seasonic Platinum Series - 80 Plus Platinum SS-1000XP 1000 Watts PSU @ 17k
Corsair AF120 120mm Cooler @ 0.8k
2 x 230mm Fans @ 3k ( cant find any on flipkart )

i think you would also require a GPU for this?

If it does not require considerable GPU power then ill suggest this :

2 x Intel Core i7 3960X Sandy Bridge @ 100k
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS @ 50k
Gskill RipjawsX 8GB RAM F3-17000CL9Q-8GBZH x8 @ 64k [64 GB ram]
Intel 520 240 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive @ 20k
WD 1 TB Black Desktop Internal Hard Drive @ 6.2k
Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window @ 13.5k
Seasonic X Series - 80 Plus Gold SS-760KM 760 Watts PSU @ 9k
Corsair AF120 120mm Cooler @ 0.8k
2 x 230mm Fans @ 3k ( cant find any on flipkart )

EDIT NOTES :

you can swap in this ram :

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMX8GX3M1A1600C11) x 8 @ 22k [64GB]

kelper architecture is slower than the gtx 580 by 30-40% in compute performance so people please provide configs with 5xx gpu / quadro / tesla

If you want a true 8-core cpu, get a i7 3990x but itll be 75k or almost 90k ( which is not even revealed yet... )

Last edited:
OP
T

tec

Right off the assembly line
graphics are not required that much ..
any suggested amd config also i want min 8 processors......

hitesh

In the zone
@Noas
This is not a gaming rig buddy. No need to suggest a gaming card.

@tec
Do you need vPro ?

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
its not a good option to overclock a server pc. And since matlab can use CUDA computational cores, id suggest either get the config with the dual gtx 670 or get a gtx titan

@Noas
This is not a gaming rig buddy. No need to suggest a gaming card.

@tec
Do you need vPro ?

check the requirements of each and every software, then tell me whats wrong here. secondly if he plans to go for vPro its not going to work, matlab requires cuda. And thirdly Tesla standalone processors are too expensive... stock configs can almost cost 1.5 lakh alone.

the titan will act as a standalone single card @ 2688 cuda cores and the SLI'ed gtx 670 each has 1344 cores. if you want even more extreme compute performance, decrease the ram to 32Gb and add another titan.

hitesh

In the zone
Also would there be a lot of data exchange through the server?
In that case you would need something like 910

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
@ tec : will you be using multithreading in matlab? also will you be using gpu compute?

Also would there be a lot of data exchange through the server?
In that case you would need something like 910

assuming you are talking about phenom? the core i7 is what he needs for optimum compute.

hitesh

In the zone
@ tec : will you be using multithreading in matlab? also will you be using gpu compute?

assuming you are talking about phenom? the core i7 is what he needs for optimum compute.

I was taking about Intel 910. But anyway its out
Just checked its price.Its 1lakh+.. I was hoping around 40-50k

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
I was taking about Intel 910. But anyway its out
Just checked its price.Its 1lakh+.. I was hoping around 40-50k

ahahah okay, bro im telling you just check the requirements of the softwares...

the quantum wise requires a 64 bit cpu conforming to IA32 and supports MMX and SSE, why do you want to stuff in a xeon / server class processor when the i7 can do that at half the cost... specially for these applications...

you just need a good amount of ram, a good cuda gpu and done.

not to mention a rock solid psu + cabinet, thats why i suggested the gold / platinum psu

but you dont need an intel 910 for this stuff, a 15k SAS drive will do or even the 520 SSD is a speed king ... take a look at tomshardware SSD guide

if op wants, he can get samsung 840 pro 256gb @ 50k (imported)

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

you mean an 8 core processor? the Intel Core i7 3960X is a 6 core processor, with 2 threads per core which theoretically equals to 12 core single thread processor.. obviously real world benchmarks will differ, the i7 can match upto 80~85% efficiency of a 12 core single thread processor

Why u guys not suggesting an intel xenon cpu which is mainly for servers and why not server cabbies?

i dont want to suggest a xeon based server

1. parts are difficult to obtain
2. warranty is a hassle
3. software which he is running does not require a xeon based processor... his work is more computational .

Just read what software he is going to run and their requirement.

i suggested a full tower cabinet...

for an amd based config, computational power will decrease by quite a huge amount... as the commercially available fastest amd processor is the fx 8350 which is leaps and bounds behind the computational power of an i7 by a huge margin

the other thing which factors here is reliability, assuming this is college work this server is going to be used 24 hours a day at almost full load for modelling and thats where reliability is a very big problem.

I am giving a very rough config:

Xenon E5-2643 (around 50K)
Some LGA2011 motherboard (around 20k)
Atleast 32 GB RAM, Corsair Dominator would be good as it has large heat spreaderd ( around 18k)
HDD up to your desired capacity, just don't get WD green
Atleast a Corsair 700 W PSU (5000-7000)
Optional: GTX 680 or quadro 4000 (28000/ 40000)
CM trooter (10000)
6-8 120 mm fans (2000)

total: around 150000 to 200000

maybe you can get a dual LGA 2011 socket motherboard and go fotrtwo xenons.

You may also go for i7 3990k instead of xenons.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
not that todays cpu / motherboard are not reliable irrespective of the manufacturer... its better to have good quality components.

I am giving a very rough config:

Xenon E5-2643 (around 50K)
Some LGA2011 motherboard (around 20k)
Atleast 32 GB RAM, Corsair Dominator would be good as it has large heat spreaderd ( around 18k)
HDD up to your desired capacity, just don't get WD green
Atleast a Corsair 700 W PSU (5000-7000)
Optional: GTX 680 or quadro 4000 (28000/ 40000)
CM trooter (10000)
6-8 120 mm fans (2000)

total: around 150000 to 200000

maybe you can get a dual LGA 2011 socket motherboard and go fotrtwo xenons

when will you guys learn its called "Xeon"

this is even worse than the i7.. its a quad core.

and where are you getting the price of a server cpu???

you clearly stated you want to run "matlab" so how does graphics not figure into this? anyways im not providing you with gfx but with cuda cores.

thats what i suggested too, but the problem is that the dual cpu motherboard is not available easily here...

Top Bottom