Myth crushed as hacker shows Mac break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
nepcker said:
Until a lot of details are published about this, I'm not even going to acknowledge that a true hack has occurred.

For one thing, the standards of the so-called hacked machine have not been stated, and it may very well be that it was compromised just so such an exploit could occur. What, you have total faith in the honesty of this contest?

did i say something wrong... only common sense needed to understand such simple comments... i aint saying it been done or not.. but am sure that
it can be done

nothing is impossible...

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well I am leaving this thread. Just smells of fanboyism from all the 3 sides - mac, linux and windows. No use of talking sense here.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Yes, macs are hackable:(. What's more, hacking a mac is way too easier than hacking a Windows PC. Here are the steps which you can follow to hack a mac: ;)

Step 1: Find a dude with a mac running.
Step 2: Tap on his shoulder, and state something like "Hey, is that Steve Jobs over there using an iPhone?".
Step 3: Quickly rip the Mac from his hands, and run like hell.
Step 4: Pray that he was logged on as an admin, so you can change the rights.

See? It is crystal clear that the mac is more hackable. In my attempts with Windows systems, I had to perform Step 2 several times over to try and get the driver disks, Service Pack 2, the anti-virus program manual, et cetera. I have also noticed that the mac I own, the Mac Pros are more secure, as the hacker will probably fail in the step 3 process.

Seriously, I know there are holes in the Mac OS X, as there would be with any. The line about Mac not spending enough time on security when compared to Windows is a crock, as they (and the UNIX developers) started working on security about twenty years before Windows even considered it. I think it would be very interesting to see the code behind the hack, as I suspect it actually may be more like my "comedic code" above than a true, and grave threat.

There are currently zero real viruses for Mac OS X. It's not that it is impossible to infect or exploit a Mac, it's that Apple hasn't shipped millions of Macs listening wide open for commands to act upon, or shipped a web browser designed to naively run programs like Microsoft's ActiveX did, or installed an email program designed to automatically run commands that arrive as attachments as Outlook did. To say that Macs are not targets for hacking because there are not enough of them installed is just plain ridiculous.

If you still are under the illusion that this was really a hack, here's a great link for you to check: roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/616874CC-35CE-49D3-B859-C2719B6FF352.html

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
This is something that freebird and eddie know and want. This is the sole reason they keep saying that Apple should open the source code of Mac OS X.
Man...oh...man...
Does your imagination run wild or what!!! Do you just keep shooting crap out of your mouth or do you have some valid links where I said that "Apple should open their source code"? Is it something you dreamed about or is it another one of your "thoughts"? All I have ever done is to get Apple fanboys in a line when they were whining about Windows "copying" from Apple OS. All I ever said was that Apple should contribute something back from the place where they "copy" so much!!!
mediator posted a thread the other day about some article that says Microsoft should open the source code of Vista if they want to survive. I, on behalf of Microsoft, would like to give the author of that article (whoever he/she is) the famed salute that requires the use of only one finger.
There is another finger adjacent to that "salute" finger of yours...it is known as "Index Finger". Use it to click on the link of that article and then use your eyes (they are two things just above the nose on your face) to read it...once you are done with reading the article...read the articles that are linked to it. Those articles give some valid points and are written by professionals...they are not comments of some random 19 year old who has problems with reading long articles but love to rant without any reasons.
I am not pointing a finger at anyone in particular and any names I have mentioned are purely for reference purposes. If anyone feels insulted, they should probably give up their Internet and phone connections today.
People who rant and mention names just for the heck of it without any valid points backing up their statements should give up their computers and watch WWF on their TVs

freebird

Debian Rocks!
now who wants apple to open source os x,it is a wrong accusition by a fanboy.Apple OS X heavily depends on Free BSD which is open sourced-thats what i want 2 say.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey chill folks, lets not turn it to a war thread again. :) you know very well arguing wid a fanboy is of no use. just wastage of ur time and the characters u've typed. they won't be read anyways!

cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom