My Ubuntu 9.10 Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
After ages I decided to give Ubuntu another try. Now Note that I left Ubuntu when it was 7:10 I think. So I didn't know what to expect with it when I gave it an install. SO I first went and downloaded the image from here.

*www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

I have an AMD system so I went for the AMD 64 bit distribution . However you can stick with the 32 bit distribution and barely notice the difference in my honest opinion. Further I must add I downloaded the alternate install as from my experience I have always had disasters occur with me on the other installation techniques.

The installation was pleasant and I love the feature where you can check the install media for defects . So I ran a check for giggles and then installed the Distro . Total time with an alternate install was about 30-40 minutes . Anyway after the install I booted up and was quite happy that it easily detected my Windows Install . However I do find Grub being painfully slow to what I experienced in Arch. However the graphics are quite pleasant and has all the applications you could need for a simple install. Although I was kind of scared of what Pulseaudio would do to my install I found that it worked flawlessly.

Now I was expecting a hefty memory usage foot print but to my surprise with all my applications open my system was only using 350 MB and note this is with Firefox with 4 tabs open and Xchat running. The sudden spike you see is probably from opening System Monitor and taking a screenshot also.

*img138.imageshack.us/img138/6240/screenshotsystemmonitor.png​

Anyway from what I was using previously I definitely think system is much more fast and responsive of course it could be the system which I'm running it on.

My configuration on the machine is.

AMD Phenom X2 550
2 GB RAM
1 IDE , 1 SATA Drive

Even with that said I think it should be easily usable on other machines with much lesser resources and if you resort to stripping it down or using another environment like Fluxbox should be just as fast.

Ubuntu is absolutely on the right path and is improving a ton :D which is a good thing! Kudos to the community. Hopefully the experience with my install will stay the same way which I'm pretty sure it will. PS. I don't see any possible way to make the distribution to be any "easier" to use. If you aren;t a gamer well then I see no reason why you shouldn't give it a try.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
spot on. Ubuntu are now in the right direction. been using this version since December and it's fing awesome.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Nice Experience.
By the way, filled void & desiibond - Did you guys know how to enable 5.1 channel audio in pulseaudio? I have tried as per some tutorials but it failed.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Yup.. now Ubuntu is definitely going on the right path.. I had so much bad experience with 64-bit Ubuntu that I switched to Fedora and using it since last 1 year... btw.. here is the 64-bit Ubuntu's screenshot.. with AMD Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.3 GHz..

*img688.imageshack.us/img688/8794/64bit.th.png

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ubuntu were also in the right direction in the days of 7.04 Fiesty and 7.10 Gutsy.

But 8.04 Hardy and 8.10 Intrepid sucked.

Jaunty and Karmic have been great. I just hope that the next release is pretty stable.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

By the way, filled void & desiibond - Did you guys know how to enable 5.1 channel audio in pulseaudio? I have tried as per some tutorials but it failed.
Have you tried this? *help.ubuntu.com/community/SurroundSound

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
From being in Ubuntus channel today and querying about some stuff I've found that 5.1 really doesn't work out perfectly from what I hear but I personally don't find that a major flaw. Pulseaudio probably just needs more time to mature and should be ready. I'm right at home with Gnome and prefer not to put KDE on my systems for any purpose other than testing. I'm updating my system now and Im getting intermediate speeds which are in the range of 100kB/s . That probably might become better if I find a better repository than the one automatically selected .

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
My mint installation cant figure out sata drive n ubuntu failed to load after it installed successfully. So i m still installing xp.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
My mint installation cant figure out sata drive n ubuntu failed to load after it installed successfully. So i m still installing xp.
Do you have a thread on the ubutuforums running ? If so link it.

Rahim

Married!
I agree totally with the point that Gutsy was the last good release of Ubuntu. They were stable and above all lean. Then it went to bloatware in 2008.

My 5.1 works fine even though i dont use PulseAudio(I dont know whether i am using it or not in Ubuntu :D ) But it works wihtout Pulse in my Debian.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
i really don't think its bloated beyond unusable limits. I mean my system once in a while goes to 512 MB of ram and I'm using Gnome , Eye candy and whatever applications I have open which is usually Wesnoth, Firefox, Xchat, Empathy etc .

Previously I never looked at another view point. How long can people offer you the same thing within the same memory footprint or processing resources. As time goes by things are going to change I mean if it didn't we'd all be still using the 64 KB of memory someone promised would be more than enough :D .

At this point if your system is slow on resources I'm recommending to switch from Gnome to Fluxbox or one of the other environments. That said I have Ubuntu running on a system with not even half the resources I think its doing a good job. Remember Ubuntu is being a "Even my GrandMa can use it" distro so I guess some of the changes are expected.

If you ask me from the last time I used Ubuntu which was Gutsy I still think 9.10 has made huge improvements over the previous versions. Although I always use the 64 bit one so I'm not sure if thats another factor which would explain my opinion.

Rahim

Married!
^I was referring to 2 versions of Ubuntu (Hardy & Ibex) which were bloated. Karmic has definitely cut out the flab, kinda like Vista minus Flab = Windows 7 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom