My Prince of Persia Warrior Within review

Status
Not open for further replies.

satanlives

Journeyman
Well i know its a bit late for this but wanted to try my hand on writing a
review for a long time and i loved this game so i thought this would be a
good thing to start with so here goes........

After Sands of time blew our minds with its mind-blowing gameplay storyline and graphics ubisoft Montreal quickly got into the development into a darker sequel for the prince of Persia franchise and what an awesome sequel it is ,addressing the biggest complaints of SOT like being 2 short and a not having an engaging combat system they hit us smack in the face by adding a lengthier campaign and ofcource the awesome amazing enchanting free form of fighting system.

Warrior within feature a new and sort of improved prince whose grown mature and has in short become a bad ass than that fairy tale prince that he portrayed in sot.It starts off with a cut scene about him talking with an oldman about changing his faith. The graphics in the cutscenese are simply
mind-blowing and i always wonder when will the actual gameplay look so
beautifully detailed like the ones in the cut scène.

The game basically is about how the prince is condemned cause he messed around with time and unleashed the sand of time and now the evil beast dahaka is after him for doing so. We are on a quest to kill the mysterious empress of time whose the creator of the sands them selves. and its all up to us to try and help him to change his fate.( Believe me the story is far better when u play the game than my description :p) that along with a few mind bending twists in the story is the main factors that will pull you into the game more deeply than anything else and you actually loose track of time playing it hehehe.....

You feel more attach to the prince than ever and you will keep wanting to play the game till then end to see what faith has had enstored for our prince. So to put it in short The story line is extremely immersive and satisfying.

The combat in this game is intensive and the free form of fighting and
dual wilding of swords is extremely fun and works like a charm. Although
sometimes you are so into the combat that u don’t care what u want to do tothe guy except kill him simply by left clicking you’re mouse and pressing E as hard and as fast as you can until everyone around u turns too dust :p. Butstill it is fun to throw enemies off the edge or throw weapons at them orstrangle them. My favorite move in the game was definitely the dual sword decapitation, its done beautifully where u see a guys head cut off in slow motion and blood spilling out from it, i mean what more could you ask for ;).

There are a few boss fights in the game and they are fun to kill but a bit overused. The combat is mixed with some cool time powers like the old
slowing of time known in the game as "The eye of the storm" where everyone and everything except you gets slowed down and this power is the one which really comes in handy during boss fights. then there’s the powerful Ravages of time power where your screen turns red and you pull off multiple combosextremely fast, this is really fun to use but it drains of around 2 sandtanks, and there’s also the power called cyclones of fate in which u throw acentral energy blast which throws all enemies around you and hurts them a little this one really comes in handy when you are surrounded. Ofcource there’s also the brand new travel through time where you can travel to the past and present depending upon the story.

The most exciting part of popww for me were those dahaka chase
sequences where the screen suddenly turns sort off black and white and heavy metal music provided by god smack kicks in man it is simply thrilling when u have to quickly pull off several jumps and swings to get away from it and if ur playing with surround sound its even more funner to hear his giant footsteps behind u while ur trying at any cost to escape his clutches. These chase sequences are extremely fun and get harder and more challenging as you progress in the game

The graphics in the game are awesome especially the environmental andlevel designs are stunning. The animation of the prince is as fluid and realas before and is done well the monsters and beast look real and monstrousenough to hate them hehe and the big ones like the brute and that flying eagle boss look cool and i even caught a bit of heat haze from some of the fire lanterns in a few stage. The only complain in the graphics department I have is how theve animated A character in the game called Kaileena although her voice is given by the super model Monica Belluci her animation is absolutely horrible and looks really out of date her face and hair are lifeless and her features were not at all detailed. She looks as bad as that beautiful princess in sot i mean she looked so hot in the cutscene but when the game began i almost laughed out :p same thing for kaileena she plays an important role in the game and i really wish the ppl at ubisoft had taken more time to give her the features that she deserves i mean c’mon with a voice like monica bellucis they should have given a body deserving of it ;) even the prince sometimes in the normal cutscenes looks like a sissy :p

What is a Prince of Persia game without environmental jumping around puzzles and traps, and prince of Persia warrior within gives you more to keep you satisfied till the next sequel if there ever will be one :p. Its absolutely awesome and fun jumping around and running across walls. Walking along narrow beams while one of the enemies is trying to get you as well as going down curtains with the help of your sword are a few new and interesting feature added to popww and is fun. There are a few puzzles in the game but they’re not that hard if u put some thinking to it ull solve it easily and that is a let down as i felt that the puzzles in sot were a bit tough and challenging. But still the environmental jumping and swinging around is extremely fun and ull never get tired of it and is every bit as satisfying as the combat.

Well no game is perfect till this date and like all pop ww has a few
things that are annoying. First thing is the stupid camera angles in some
places you will feel like it has a life of its own, but still if ur patient
enough u will get used to it and it wont bother u much then i mean who cares about camera angles when ur life is at stake and you just have to get to the b***h empress of time to stop her from creating the sands.

Another part of the game that most of the ppl played it find annoying is
the fact that some of the levels are repeated several times, i mean ull have
to go through a level that u just crossed; all over again to get somewhere
else and with a different purpose and this purpose i guess keeps you going
and also the second time ur equipped with a more powerful sword so u can finish of the enemies quicker and go through faster .to put it simply the game becomes a little boring, goin around the same places and getting lost sometimes, but the story and twists keeps u going. And also there are a few secrets weapons like a hockey stick, raymans glove or something like that which add a nice touch to the game.

The music this time around is mostly heavy metal provided by godsmack and is awesome atleast to me cause im a fan of heavy metal. In some parts there’s a combination of heavy metal along with some Persian type music which adds a nice touch . But still i was kinda hoping for it to match up to the fantastic music of sot which had superb and enchanting Persian style music, but i guess theve added the heavy metal to suit the darker tone of warrior within.

The game also has a lot of replay value as there’s an alternate ending to
the game which u get by collecting all the life upgrades and the combat
system keeps you wanting more.

Allinall i think this is an awesome and worthy sequel to the sands of time and the best third person action game ive played this year with awesome graphics ,fun combat system a lot of blood and gore ;)(which we fps fans cant do without it :p) and the best and most engaging story line with mind bending and intriguing twists that will keep you to the edge of your seat till the end. I would definitely give the game a 9/10 and a must have for all pop fans and those who’ve never tried third person game this is the game to start.

I hope you guyz like it :p this was my first attempt on writing one.
P.S like to thank my critic serial_killer without whome i would have really messed up the story part my review :p thanks dude

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Good One Dude.....keep it up.....yes POP:WW has great deal of Potential as its game engine has been much more improved from Its Predecessor and yea the gore element now is deeply stressed....the Limbs heads and body chopping off sequences are nicely rendered and ones when he weilds Dual swords are just a blaze.....a total package for a class gameplay 8)

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
Whoa! Cool u also had the concentration to type this thing or maybe u wrote it earlier and pasted it. anyway keep up the good work

Arachnid

Broken In
Great review dude.

Just one small glitch :

him talking with an oldman about changing his faith

I think the word is FATE :D . Though faith can be a good enough example as well.

I have written some stuff abt POP:WW on the skoar forums as well. So check those out too if you want more info. Though i think satanlives has covered almost everything.

What i would like to write about is how vastly the experience differes from the PC version and the console version. SOT i did on the PC and WW on the x-box - game - The exact same, gameplay - different! However, since this is a review, i will refrain from starting a console v/s PC discussion here, but what i will say...is that this game totally rocked me! SOT was quite annoying coz you really could not relate to the prince (FPS people ONLY), in this one, you can! He swears, he's ruthlless and his attacks are as graphic as they are deadly.

Play the game. Its worth the money.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Come on dude, I am an FPS guy, and I am really starting to get annoyed with the game. :D I just can't clear "Clockworks and Gears" and God knows how long I've been trying. GRR! I seriously wish for a GameShark right about now. So I gave up for sake of my mental health and thought I will come back to it later. Still working with the IA license in GT3. :D Another frustrating experience.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
No, Gran Turismo 3, and when they say "The real driving simulator", they REALLY, REALLY mean it. You've got to keep getting licenses to move into the advanced sections and compete in the races there. The levels go thus in ascending complexity, B, A, International B (IB) and IA, with a separate Rally license. You've got to have perfect handling, plus you're always pitted against the clock.

BTW, what about the train missions in GTA-SA? I got into a train after the "lowriding" mission, but pressing R3 doesn't toggle the missions on. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Must check out a walkthrough, I guess.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
HELLO Dudes !!

Well will this PRINCE OF PERSIA:WARRIOR WITHIN
will run better (as POP sands of time has runned gr8 on my system)

my system has P-4 ,2 Ghz, 256 MB DDR RAM, 40 GB Hard disk,nVIDIA ge FORCE 5200 256 MB DDR,mouse,keyboard,DIRECT -X 9.0b and 1000 WATTS 2.1 speakers.

thanx bye.....

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
ashu888ashu888 said:
HELLO Dudes !!

Well will this PRINCE OF PERSIA:WARRIOR WITHIN
will run better (as POP sands of time has runned gr8 on my system)

my system has P-4 ,2 Ghz, 256 MB DDR RAM, 40 GB Hard disk,nVIDIA ge FORCE 5200 256 MB DDR,mouse,keyboard,DIRECT -X 9.0b and 1000 WATTS 2.1 speakers.

thanx bye.....

Definetly will run quite smoothly on ur system considering u have a 5200 256Mb card but the ram might just be a lil bit struggle part but yea will do fine enough on ur part :wink:

@vyask.....i suppose POP:WW is more Graphic hungry than Sands of time 8)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey THANX "allwyndlima" :wink: well now i can go and purchase the CD version of POP-WW.Is it true that POP-SOT was more RAM hungry than POP-WW ??well strange guys !!! coz the SOT version was also rocking and since i hv read only half the review of POP-WW in this section where the Writer of the REVIEW (oops sorry yaar i dont know his name. :wink: ) says that the PRINCE is more MANLY and has sum really bad @ss kickin' :twisted:

neways thanx for the answer dudes.

Cheers n peace.

ASHU.. :idea:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@ashu888ashu888.....anytime dude...btw i felt POP:WW is more Ram Hungry (both Physical as well as Video Ram).....AFAIK the game is quite renewed from its predecessor and but agree that the First one looked quite eye candy compared to This one....baah....but who cares new game new try....and yea Prince is Sure a Bad A$$ now and has great tricks up his sleeve or rather his Sword and moves.....u oughta see the part where he uses his swoard to slash his opponents body into Half.....geeezz that looks as if prince is making a human Salami :lol: :lol:

Yup grt game try it out.....worth a play :wink:

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Dont know about the POP:WW appeitite for RAM but I know one simple thing...POP:SOT would'nt run on my system while POP:WW demo ran beautifully.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
ALL ABT GRAPHICS CARD !!!

Hi guys, well i want some suggestion and tips on how I can extract more POWER,PERFORMANCE and QUALITY from my existing GRAPHICS CARD for my games (FIFA-2004,POP-SOT,POP-WW,DOOM-3,FIFA-2005,NHL-2005)

My system configuration is as follows:
:arrow: Pentium-4 ,2.00Ghz processor on an INTEL 865GBF Motherboard ,40GB hard disk ,256 MB DDR RAM, WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL EDITION,Monitor SAMSUNG Syncmaster-753s [ 17" ]

My GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORTS these FEATURES:
:arrow: PIXEL SHADER & VERTEX SHADER 2.0
:arrow: MICROSOFR DIRECT-X 9.0 Optimisations and support.
:arrow: open GL 1.4 Optimisations and support.

I am having an nVIDIA GeForce 5200 FX 256MB DDR graphics card.

These are my graphics card settings.

:arrow: Processor--nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200,256 MB DDR RAM
:arrow: BUS-8X
:arrow: IRQ-- 16
:arrow: BIOS-- 4.34.20.27.06
:arrow: TV ENCODER TYPE-INTEGRATED (MV)
:arrow: SCREEN RESOLUTION-1152x864
:arrow: COLOR QUALITY-HIGHEST (32 bit)

:idea: :idea: PERFORMANCE & QUALITY SETTINGS

:arrow: IMAGE SETTINGS:
I have 3 options
-->HIGH PERFORMANCE
-->PERFORMANCE
-->QUALITY (I hv chosed this Option)

:arrow: ANTIALIASING:
I have 6 Options)
-->APPLICATION (i hv chosed this option)
-->NO ANTIALIASING
-->ANTIALIASING 2X
-->QUINCUNX ANTIALIASING(tm)
-->ANTIALIASING 4X
-->ANTIALIASING 4XS (DIRECT 3D only)

:arrow: ANISOTROPIC FILTERING:
I have 4 Options)
-->APPLICATION (I hv chosed this option)
-->ANISOTROPIC FILTERING 2X
-->ANISOTROPIC FILTERING 4X
-->ANISOTROPIC FILTERING 8X

:arrow: TEXTURE SHARPENING (I hv CHECKED this option)

:idea: :idea: DIRECT 3D SETTINGS

:arrow: PERFORMANCE & COMPATIBILITY OPTIONS:
ENABLE FOG TABLE EMULATION (I hv checked this option)

DISPLAY LOGO WHILE RUNNING DIRECT 3D APPLICATIONS (I hv unchecked this otion)

:arrow: MIPMAP DETAIL LEVEL:
I hv 5 OPTIONS here)
-->BEST IMAGE QUALITY (i hv chosed this option)
-->HIGH IMAGE QUALITY
-->BLEND
-->HIGH PERFORMANCE
-->BEST PERFORMANCE

:arrow: PCI TEXTURE MEMORY SIZE:
Use upto 31 MB (the computer has chosed this option by itself) of system memoryfor textures in PCI mode.
[I hv a limit from 2MB to 127MB of PCI texture memory size]

:idea: :idea: OPEN GL SETTINGS

:arrow: PERFORMANCE & COMPATIBILITY OPTIONS:
Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets (the PC has unchecked
this option)

Enable comformant Open GL texture clamp behaviour (the PC has
unchecked this option)

:arrow: DEFAULT COLOR DEPTH:
I hv 3 options)
-->Use Desktop color depth (PC has selected this option)
-->Always use 16 bpp
-->Always use 32 bpp

:arrow: BUFFER FLIPPING MODE:
I hv 2 options)
-->Use block transfer
--> Auto select (PC has selected this option)

:arrow: VERTICAL SYNC:
I hv 3 options )
-->Always OFF
-->OFF by default
--> ON by default(PC has selected this option)

Please tell me wat OPTIONS shud i change/tweak so that i can get more PERFORMANCE,POWER and QUALITY from my graphics card for my GAMES.

:!: :!: :!: NOTE: PLEASE ,I want an answer from a genuine person who knows about tweaking GRAPHICS CARD PROPERTIES.

THANX Guys.

cheers n peace.

ASHU..... :) :)

rohita

Right off the assembly line
Hardware req. for POP series

ctrl_alt_del said:
Dont know about the POP:WW appeitite for RAM but I know one simple thing...POP:SOT would'nt run on my system while POP:WW demo ran beautifully.

Hey! I am still playing POP3D (I guess I am ancient). Does SOT and WW require much more RAM, etc. than 3D?

bharathbala2003

why need title?
rohita said:
Hey! I am still playing POP3D (I guess I am ancient). Does SOT and WW require much more RAM, etc. than 3D?

which world are you in m8!! :shock:

u not only need RAM u need a GFX card.. :D and POP3D is too old.. and will run on any comp now!! :D

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
HI guys well plz dudes plz help me out with my querry on TUNING UP MY GRAPHICS CARD as posted earlier in this FORUM plz dudes...

thanx bye.......

cheers n peace. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom