Hey everybody, my PC's in a very big mess right now.
I've Win XP, Win 8(not activated). Since it is not activated, Microsoft is giving me huge trouble about it:
Everything hangs after about 5 minutes of usage, and also some system32.dll file is missing from Win X, so it does not boot.
Now, I wanted to switch back to Win 7, removing both Win XP, Win 8, but since the stupid Win 8 does not support CD/DVD
drive, my PC does not boot from the CD drive(containing Win 7 installation), even though I put it on first priority in the BIOS settings.
Please help me quickly coz I cannot use my Laptop forever...
Thanks...

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Go to the bios and put the primary boot device as CDROM - save and restart the pc after inserting the bootable (ensure it is a bootable Win 7 disk) disk.

After restarting while the pc is booting up the bios, press the button to select the boot device (It can vary from pc to pc and it generally is F8), boot from the disk.

Format your C drive and install win7

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
Is your windows 7 disk bootable? Even if you don't have any os, you can boot from optical disk via bios. If your bios support usb boot then make a live usb drive with windows 7 disk.

OP
A

abhisheknaik96

Broken In
rakesh_ic
I tried to do what you said abt the F8, but now it seems to be stuck at the opening BIOS screen featuring Intel.
What do I do now?
Thanks.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Restart :)

BTW, can you confirm if the disk is a bootable disk??
Coz there is no point trying to boot from a disk which is not bootable in the first place.

Also, trying out from the intermediate steps will not help. First change your primary boot disk to CDROM (if you havent done it already).

OP
A

abhisheknaik96

Broken In
Yes, yes, I performed all the intermediate steps. Once, it even started doing something like-Windows is collecting files, and then it shut down abruptly.
Then when I restarted it again, it made some wierd noises, a little different from the ones when there is moisture on the RAM chips, but then it got stuck all over again.
Thanks.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I dont think its even booting/trying to boot from your disk.

You still dint answer the most important question here. Unless you confirm if the disk is bootable or not, nothing can be done.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
its a typical mess into which i get usually every month since i have started using computers in 2005. The longest run without formatting or messing up the system was around 6-8 months with my windows 7 home premium (i tell u win7 is the most awesome OS ever, much better and stable than xp) ..
I would highly recommend you to get atleast a 4 GB pendrive from somewhere & install windows 7 setup (iso or setup files, iso is much simpler) on it. you can use windows 7 usb tool for that.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Your DVD may be corrupted, Try installing Win 7 from XP/ make a Win 7 bootable pendrive

BTW , what do you want to say by Win 8 doesnot support CD/DVD Drive :confused: , Does not support Installing from Win 7 Disc? Or The DVD drive itself?

OP
A

abhisheknaik96

Broken In
The DVD drive itself!
That's, in my opinion, Win 8's 1 n only drawback- It doesn't support it!
Microsoft decided that nobody uses CD/DVDs much any longer, so y bundle it with its drivers with the OS? Ppl can buy the Windows Media Centre if they want it so badly, which I don't. So, my PC doesn't support optical discs right now.
Even when Win 8 was working just fine, whenever I put a DVD in, Win 8 would crash n restart.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
who told you windows 8 doesn't support dvd drive?for your information the support for dvd drive will be there for any MS operating system to be released in next 4-5 years at least.your problem is due to some other reason not because win 8 doesn't include drivers for dvd drive which btw are few hundred kb's only in size.mention the laptop model no. & if it has UEFI bios then use it in legacy mode.

Better make a bootable pen drive of win 7 on your friend's computer using this tool.

WinToFlash - Install Windows from usb - Laguage selection

Keep usb drive as first in boot priority.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey everybody, my PC's in a very big mess right now.
I've Win XP, Win 8(not activated). Since it is not activated, Microsoft is giving me huge trouble about it:
Everything hangs after about 5 minutes of usage, and also some system32.dll file is missing from Win X, so it does not boot.
Now, I wanted to switch back to Win 7, removing both Win XP, Win 8, but since the stupid Win 8 does not support CD/DVD
drive, my PC does not boot from the CD drive(containing Win 7 installation), even though I put it on first priority in the BIOS settings.
Please help me quickly coz I cannot use my Laptop forever...
Thanks...

rakesh_ic
I tried to do what you said abt the F8, but now it seems to be stuck at the opening BIOS screen featuring Intel.
What do I do now?
Thanks.

Yes, yes, I performed all the intermediate steps. Once, it even started doing something like-Windows is collecting files, and then it shut down abruptly.
Then when I restarted it again, it made some wierd noises, a little different from the ones when there is moisture on the RAM chips, but then it got stuck all over again.
Thanks.

@ OP - I think you have some serious hardware issue .. check your memory modules using memtest86+ app, HDD suing HDD manufacturer diagnostic tool .. also make sure sata cable/port, HDD/ODD power cable and ram slots all are Ok.

BTW, can tell us ypur pc config including the brand of PSu and ram modules ?

Top Bottom