My new system is running slower compared to my previous system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

instinct

Right off the assembly line
Hello friends,
I recently decided to upgrade my machine to play the latest high-end games. I upgraded from an Intel Celeron 1.1 Ghz + Mercury board + 256 MB SDRAM to Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz + Intel board D945GNT + 512 MB DDR II RAM.
Now, mind you, I was pretty satisfied with my previous configuration if only it supported the newest as well as upcoming games (Hell, it ran Doom 3 as well as Quake 4 & both were very much playable). I almost never had a problem with it & even if I did run into some sort of a problem with it, I, myself could easily fix it.
Now, when I had only just installed Windows XP professional with Service Pack 2, my system booted in flat 3 seconds (I had even clocked it with a stop-watch), I was tremendously happy. However, little did I know what lied ahead of me. Right after I had installed the board drivers, all of my woes began one by one. Here's a list of all of my problems:
  1. My system boot time slowed down considerably to the extent Windows now took over a couple of minutes to load. I disabled 'Load Startup Items' from System Configuration Utility even if I hadn't installed any third-party software at that time & it was of no avail whatsoever. What is taking so long?
  2. The sound is distorted and scratchy. The audio codec used by this particular board is SigmaTel. Now I'm sure most of you might have already started to rush to the Intel site & had begun searching for the audio issues related to this particular board. You need not take so much trouble for I've already been there & done that. *www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm#distorted. Unfortunately, none of them apply to me. My speaker is i2-600. It gets even worse to the limit of being extremely unbearable if the CPU is being used. I had no audio problems with my Mercury board. How do I make the sound smooth?
  3. I learnt that I can't use the line in (for my external TV tuner card) & the microphone at the same time. My computer vendor being an escapist (like any other Indian computer vendor out there (no offense, but you know it's true), told me to purchase a sound card which is available for cheap. My question is, why the hell should I have to again spend money (even if it's just a farthing) after I'm done with all of my upgrades?
  4. My system is EXTREMELY slow. It takes over 10 freaking minutes just to write a 700 MB CD with no applications running in the background. Hell, my Celeron took less than 5 minutes! I'm wondering if there are any settings (perhaps in the BIOS?) to make the best use of the dual-core of my Pentium D?
Needless to say, please help me!!!

P. S. - Do NOT suggest checking for spywares & using anti-spywares because let me remind you again, my system is brand new & these problems occured right after I installed the drivers from the CD which came along with the Intel board package. I tried installing the latest drivers available from the Intel site, but they only made matters worse. Also, I'm one of those people (if such people exist & they should) who believe that if you surf carefully & don't install anything & everything that pops up on your screen (especially ActiveXs) your system will run just fine without any third-party protection softwares. You will of course have to have the Windows XP Service Pack 2 firewall up right after you've installed Windows XP & running at all times. Believe me, it works because I only formatted only very recently as I was upgrading. Don't tell me I didn't visit risky sites as I use serials & cracks very often.

Last edited:

Anand_RF

Journeyman
1. Windows XP on Pentium D takes a long time to boot. Happens to me too, but it's normal. After boot, your system is more stable.
2. Right-click the Volume icon on the systray, click open volume control. Search for something named "Input Monitor" or similar. It should usually be on the extreme right and it's volume control bar maybe disabled (greyed out). Mute it and your audio problems will be solved.
3. Even I dunno what to do lol.
4. Do you have a very old cd writer?

OP
instinct

instinct

Hey Anand,
Thanks for your reply. You kind of expect your system to perform tasks faster after you upgrade it. Unfortunately, mine works slower. Anyway, muting "Input Monitor" did NOT work. It only muted the audio of my TV tuner card. I use Sony CRX320E.*www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/model.jsp?model_id=51271. I don't think it's a very old model. However, this was the very same one with which I used to write my CDs when I had my Celeron. So, I doubt it's what is at fault here...

OP
instinct

instinct

I know! & that's exactly what I want to find out here!!!

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
^^
1>Defragment all u r partitions
3>Install NOD32
4>Try and reinstall Xp freshly....
5>for games...so to the BIOS and increase the amount of memory for the GMA 950...to 64MB-128MB (remember it will be eating u r system ram)

Booting of the OS depends on the OS not in u r hardware (to an extent)

For eg) my tweaked XP boots in 30secs on a Athlon64 2800+ with 512MB ram...with a clean hdd..

My friends C2D E6300 with 1GB ram..boots in 1 mins

and my friends P4 3gig...with 1GB ram boots in 40 secs,,,

All what matters u r hdd and OS... duhhhh!

OP
instinct

instinct

1st & 2nd points are not applicable as like I said, it's a brand new system. 3rd point is going to be my last dying option. An all out format & reinstallation (which I seriously doubt will work). 4th point, it was set at 128.
I'll try using this brand new system on a different HDD, possibly a SATA HDD to note if it makes any difference...

P. S. - My only take is that it's the fault of the board drivers, because before installing the board drivers, my machine was absolutely blazing fast. After installing the drivers, it slumped down like a snail...

Last edited:

aquamatrix

Journeyman
i recently bought a new PC( a c2d rig) and had a problem with the sata 2 HDD, sent it for a replacement and my vendor gave me a pata hdd till it gets replaced, my booting time has become very very loooong, but when it boots up runs like anything. so maybe its gotta do wid ur hdd, better try the sata one.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
BTW you need to upgrade your PC to play the latest games, get 2-4GB of RAM, 1GB at the bare minimum, a good graphic card.

OP
instinct

instinct

goobimama said:
3 Seconds? That's really fast!
I know!
P. S. - I think I might have somewhat solved the sound problems. I uninstalled the audio drivers & then installed them MANUALLY i.e. directly from the CD & not auto-installation. It's still not completely without distortions or scratchiness, but it's very slightly better...

VD17

Journeyman
hmmm.. i'm not very sure.. but i feelmajority of your problem seems to be occuring cause of read/write of data to your HD (judging from ur boot-up and cd burning lags).... i have a very faint idea about this but one of my friends had a similiar problem and the fault was finally found in the IDE cables...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom