My New One Plus One (Day 1 Impressions)

Got my new One+One today, which my bro ordered in Delhi.
Its not a new phone anymore, since so many people already have it, and there are tons of reviews online with better photos.
So what i will do i compare it with some devices i have.

The model i got is 64GB model, which is the sandstone finish. At first it feels like the "sand" will scratch off with some wipe. But they are there pretty firmly. Time will tell if it smoothens out after prolong wear and tear. Anyways, this thing is a beauty !! Can believe such beauty can come from such a simple design. The subtle arc design in the bottom part+ the constrasting coloring which gently shows..all these make this a beauty! Dont call me a Apple hater but it is definitely prettier than the iPhone 6 my cousin sister uses.
*i.imgur.com/HmoWIk2.jpg

The OS is fluid and snappy. Opening phonebook and scrolling through is a breeze, something Samsung phones totally lag behind. i installed some Free Themes that barely changed anything. The good themes that truly transform the looks of the UI requires payment. Anyone knows how to get them through "ahem ahem" means???

The display is gorgeous. Specially the color accuracy. Here i compare it with other phones. Starting from left to Right, you can see the Xperiam M, Zenphone 5, One+One and the Tegra Note 7 . It would have been better if i had put some high res pictures but i am lazy, so this is it... All are in maximum brightness with Auto Brightness off. I love the whites on the One+One
*i.imgur.com/6b9VMlk.jpg

Another thing i like about is the size. Compared to Zephone 5 with a smaller 5"inch screen, they both seem the same size. In fact handling the One+One is easier and more comfortable due to the slim design and the gentle curve. Sandstone finish beats any plastic body.
*i.imgur.com/Ui1Qjy3.jpg

The number of customization is huge. The Settings screen on the One+One is where this phone trounces the rest. I could list all but i am afraid i may miss some. The touch capacitive keys can be configured to different functions, you can put on screen keys like classic nexus devices, and go furthur by customizing them too like LG phones.

The camera quality was a bit mehhh to me. Its high time phones came with full res Panoramas. The Panorama mode is useless if you want to view the pictures on a computer, its very low resolution.
Even with it 13mpx sensor,performance isnt too great. It is somewhat similar to Zenphone 5 in terms of quality (or is the Zenphone quality that good?). In low light One+One its a bit better though. But then i was comparing One+One's 13mps to Zenphone's 8mpx.. Again im too lazy to upload pictures, there are better reviews online that shows the quality better. The front camera is nice though. Good details in the skin, something the new Samsung selfie phones like Grand Prime lacks

One thing i didnt like is the speed at which the app drawer opens. My App drawer in Zenphone 5 and Xperia M is a bit faster. Maybe the minute transition effect delays it a bit, or maybe its the themes i installed that makes it slower. Speaking of themes,the almost non-existence of decent free themes is a bummer >_< .
Certain gesture commands like dragging a "V" to open flashlight needs to be customizable, i mean i dont want to draw a huge "V", how about letting me draw a smaller "V", something i can do with one hand. Maybe the next Cyanogen version will allow us to make our own gestures.

Anyways, i am not much of a reviewer, if there is anything to ask or you want to inquire, just say it and i will get into it.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Congrats for getting Oneplus One :doublethumb:

Themes for Oneplus One are nothing but apk files. ;)

All CM11 themes should work on it too. :)

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
ok, my version says. Cyanogen OS Version 11.0-XNPH05Q
Android 4.4.4

Some website talks about NIGHTLY and all.. is my phone NIGHTLY ?

- - - Updated - - -

umm, can you just PM me the site from wher ei can get these CM 11 themes?>

- - - Updated - - -

Ok no need.. Found lots on XDA forums

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
ok, my version says. Cyanogen OS Version 11.0-XNPH05Q
Android 4.4.4

Some website talks about NIGHTLY and all.. is my phone NIGHTLY ?

- - - Updated - - -

umm, can you just PM me the site from wher ei can get these CM 11 themes?>

Don't worry about the OS. You can just flash a monthly release from xda or cyanogenmod's website if you get problems with the current OS. I'd recommend you to head over to OnePlus One - XDA Forums and root the phone beforehand installing anything on it. Rooting OPO requires bootloader unlocking and it wipes the data.

Too many sites for that, I just use google whenever I need anything. Play store has good amount of CM11 themes and so does XDA.

$hadow

Geek in making
XDA is the best option for getting the themes plus I guess there is a in built theme engine in the phone.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I downgraded to kitkat (mokee rom) from lollipop (liquidsmooth rom) because I was unable to install some good games on it. You can flash [ROM] [5.0.2] [OFFICIAL] ParanoidAndroid 5 | OnePlus One | XDA Forums if you want lollipop. IMO PA roms are better than CM roms.

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
It is a great phone. Btw will it update to Lollipop ? or CM12. (official build) ?

I wrote my review after a week's use
*www.technext.org/oneplus-one-hands-on-review-complete-flagship/

I hope I am not advertising Mods Please delete if it is :)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
BTW guys is there any theming options for omni rom? AFAIK cm theming engine doesn't work in omni rom.

try Xposed framework,no need to flash a rom and it can be disabled for OTA updates(though you lose root with OTA and must root again,no biggie)

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
try Xposed framework,no need to flash a rom and it can be disabled for OTA updates(though you lose root with OTA and must root again,no biggie)
So if I root my android device and install xposed modules without any rom installation, do I still receive ota?

Top Bottom