My Linux Woes-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
As I mentioned earlier that I have many distros. But many of them do not boot in one system while they boot well on others. GentooLinux did not boot in gui anywhere, it always ended in bash when booted. the same is the case of Mepis. Mandrake 10/10.1 at times work fine, and despite thjeir not working in the FOSS lab, I could install Mandrake 10 at my personal new notebook, Yoper did not even boot in many systems. I have been recovering Windows loader if I failed in some Linux installation through Mandrake CD, but now this is failing. How can these be explained?
Woes-4 Xandros CD
I frequently used Xandros to repartition even Windows partition (or used QT Parted in some cases even to reformat a partition or get free space if a distro desired so.). But Xandros too described the 4 GB unpartitioned space in my HDD as 'unusable' and could not do any thing with that in the same system. Why?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Try to boot from Red hat or FC Setup CD, and when it asks for partitioning, select to Remove All partitions and then create partitions from scratch.

Make sure u hv a backup of ur data!

U can also use Partition magic to format that 4 GB partition.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
You mention that you are using different partition managers on same disk time and again. This is a problem in itself. No two partition managers work the same way and neither work the existing partition same way. You are bound to get wierd results, some times you will even need to repartation it.

I cant recall a partation manager it was based on linux and it can be written to a botable CD. I have it I will let you know later.

Can I ask you a question, whats is that you want to achieve by hopping mutiple distros so frequently. If you can explain clearly what is that you specificaly need from a distro, may be some of us can be of good help to you.

OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
Well now my Ubuntu crashed. So either I would attempt to revive it or change. When I failed in getting my work done in one distro, I switched to another. But I agree with this months Digit analysis. Xandros is THE most user friendly distro, except that I could not get Grass installed. But Urdu was made possible there, if not Bolnagri Phonetic Hindi keyboard. I am waiting for Kubuntu that I might get in a day or two. So would switch to that. However, I did succeed in internet thru my RIM in Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom