Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
rb_kaustuv

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
Kenshin said:
Also in your schematic there are none sensitive components so any iron will do

Tell you something..go read about the HD44780 controller datasheet.

Also a known fact is the iron should not be kept in touch with the components for more that 5~7 seconds.:rolleyes:

Kenshin

meowww meoww
hehe....I hv worked with HD44780 for bout 4 yrs now...initially i used to be careful with it...but with experience..its a bit robust...and here in mumbai we get it for around 70bucks a bit cheap....and yeah 5~7 seconds is insane......and yeah if u check out the pinout points of the module..they are not of copper...theres a reason for that ;)

Last edited:
OP
rb_kaustuv

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
Kenshin said:
I hv worked with HD44780 for bout 4 yrs now

Seems you can help me a lot..
Can you explain to me the difference between the power supply and signal pins between a 20x4 display and a 40x4 display..

Since a LCD can at the most display 80 characters so i need to know in what respect do these two displays viz a 20x4 and a 40x4 differ ?

Hope you can shed some light on it..:D

Kenshin

meowww meoww
a 20x4 has 4 rows of 20 characters each and 40x4 is 2 of em both has i think 5*8 dot matrix kinda display...

and datalines start from 1 in case of 40x4 and there are 2 enables rest signals are same rs r/w etc and in case of 20x4 its much of same like 16x2 databits from 14 i suppose..

and i suppose u will be using 8 bit addressing since ur using a pc to interface...for me with microcontrollers i use 4 bit addressing.btw in which field u r..

and yeah do you mean you want to create custom characters :confused:

Last edited:
OP
rb_kaustuv

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
Kenshin said:
a 20x4 has 4 rows of 20 characters each and 40x4 has i think 5*8 dot matrix kinda display...

and datalines start from 1 in case of 40x4 and there are 2 enables rest signals are same rs r/w etc and in case of 20x4 its much of same like 16x2 databits from 14 i suppose..

and i suppose u will be using 8 bit addressing since ur using a pc to interface...for me with microcontrollers i use 4 bit addressing.btw in which field u r..

Dosen't a 20x4 also have a 5*8 dot matrix kind of display??
AFAIK a 40x4 is nothing but two 20x4 seamlessly integrated together..

Can you give me some schematics using a microcontroller with 4 bit addressing mode for a 40x4 LCD and also for a 20x4 LCD??

Help would be highly appriciated..:)

Kenshin

meowww meoww
yeah no worries wait i will post the pics....hey which compiler and controller u use??...I use AVRs so will give pics according to that

AFAIK a 40x4 is nothing but two 20x4 seamlessly integrated together..

Thats why the 2 enables na..

OP
rb_kaustuv

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
Kenshin said:
yeah no worries wait i will post the pics....hey which compiler and controller u use??...I use AVRs so will give pics according to that

I would have preferred to use the PIC controllers ..but all the same, just provide the schematic for the AVR ..rest i have to see to decide..:D

Kenshin

meowww meoww
Heres a pic of 8 bit addressing.
u can see tat 2 ports are wasted...tat is the reason why i don't use 8 bit addressing...I use 4 bit addressing...for that,suppose if i use portb
the i use the following connections

PORTB0-RS
PORTB1-RD
PORTB2-EN
PORTB3-not connected
PORTB4-DB4
PORTB5-DB5
PORTB6-DB6
PORTB7-DB7

BTW I use codevision AVR for compiling...I have also attached the code for my project i made this semester...I got 2nd price for it...Its "temperature monitoring and control system with PC based fontend"

Last edited:

Kenshin

meowww meoww
rb_kaustuv said:
I would have preferred to use the PIC controllers ..but all the same, just provide the schematic for the AVR ..rest i have to see to decide..:D

Heyyyy am planning to start workin on PICs...coz of their high mips,they surely beat avrs in that....can u gimme sume links to tutorials..:)... i badly need to learn them...hv to teach my gf also :D

OP
rb_kaustuv

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
Kenshin,
Can you provide the schematic of the project you made.. i need to see some things..

Anyways thanx for the 8bit addressing mode schematic..

Awaiting your project schematic..

Kenshin

meowww meoww
Here it is

I used hyperterminal to control it in Windows and Minicom in Ubuntu...

And ha i had to disable JTAG to use PortC

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom