My laptop Smells funny - dv6 6140tx

vgr

Broken In
My laptop smells like something is burning when I play games these days! I'm not sure if it's the plastic or any of the parts inside!
It first happened last week when I was playing saints row 4.... I thought it there was something cooking in the house close to mine so I didn't bother much.... but then I took a whiff after playing and realized that it was coming from the laptop!@#!$#!#%!#$%!$%!
A few posts on other forums said using compressed air could help... I haven't been able to find it here in Kochi so yea any suggestions on how to fix this?? I really don't want to let go of this one...

Temeratures with a laptop cooler:
Normal Operation Temperature - 45 to 60 degrees
at 60% RAM usage.jpg
Gaming Temperatures - 75 to 95 degrees
*not going to risk gaming again till I get this sorted out in some way :)

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
My laptop smells like something is burning when I play games these days! I'm not sure if it's the plastic or any of the parts inside!
It first happened last week when I was playing saints row 4.... I thought it there was something cooking in the house close to mine so I didn't bother much.... but then I took a whiff after playing and realized that it was coming from the laptop!@#!$#!#%!#$%!$%!
A few posts on other forums said using compressed air could help... I haven't been able to find it here in Kochi so yea any suggestions on how to fix this?? I really don't want to let go of this one...

Send it for servicing before it explodes!!! This is very serious... Is it under warranty??? :-/

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Send it for servicing before it explodes!!! This is very serious... Is it under warranty??? :-/

This..

And also as a prevention to most of the heat related issues, avoid using your laptop while on bed as placing the laptop on mattress or pillow will reduce the life of the laptop due to heating issues.

OP
V

vgr

Broken In
My warranty got over a couple o months back :(
is it possible to add warranty now and then ask them to check it out?

This..

And also as a prevention to most of the heat related issues, avoid using your laptop while on bed as placing the laptop on mattress or pillow will reduce the life of the laptop due to heating issues.

I've got a laptop cooler with me at all times :)
core temperatures are always around 50 degrees during normal operation
It jumps to 90 when I play games though

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
90 deg is pretty high like rijinpk1 said.

What kinda games do you play on your laptop?

To me even the normal operation temperatures are high with a cooler used. Can you check the cpu cooler speeds and temps on each core?? The samples like temp when the laptop was started, when u used it for normal operation for an hr, temp when u played for half an hr after starting the machine etc will be good to note.

Having said all this, none of it actually helps but to take it for servicing :)

Check with the HP guys if u can extend the warranty period after the default warranty period is over.

Hrishi

Dell recently released an inspiron series laptop which also smelled funny, like some tomcat's litter. ;)

Hrishi

It could be the capacitors getting ready yo explode due to swelling and overheating.

AshutoshM

Blue Age Wonders
How old is your machine? It seems a long time has passed and there is definitely problem with the cooling system, dust blocking the proper air flow around various components lke vrm, cpu, capacitors, etc. Probably your cpu is getting cooked and giving the burning smell. Bro, get it cleaned before it burns your whole place down. Do not operate it on your bed, bedsheet may catch fire or anything disastrous may happen.

Top Bottom