My first successful OverClocking(3.06GHz ->3.72GHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hi guys,
This is my first successful attempt in OCing. I have a P4 Prescott 524 3.06GHz processor, and yesterday when i try to re-install the OS i just accidentally come across a option called Jumper Free in BIOS and i start play with that.

After few tries, i found what is what?.Then i increase the FSB(used Linked Mode instead of Auto) gradually and OCed my proccy from 3.06 to 3.15GHz and it increased gradually and i reached 3.8GHz :shock: at one stage.

But the system is not stable at that FSB and so i start decresing FSB gradually to see at which point the system is stable. Hurrah ! As a wonder my system was stable at 3.72GHz :shock: .

*rapidshare.com/files/188050807/OC-By-Me.JPG.html

Just download(just 89KB) this file and see what have i done?

After finding the stable FSB , i want to know the max limit of proccy and it goes upto 4.2GHz :D , but of no use, coz after the Windows welcome screen , a BSOD appears. So i just stop by 3.72 GHz, and i want to check its stability.So i play GTA 4 three hours in a stretch without any hiccups(yup,at lowest settings) and no crash,no BSOD etc.

The only problem is the temperature is around 70-75 C and the noise is also high.
Anyway i am happy on my successful attempt of OCing. Now i know what you guys are talking about.

EDITED :
As per topgear's suggestions , Orthos Test page and CPU_Z was added

*i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss123/pbrajkumar/CPU_Z.jpg

*i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss123/pbrajkumar/Orthos_Test_CPU.jpg

Just decrease the Clock speed by 35MHz and system was stable. Plz check those pics to see the ORTHOS TEST

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hehe. congrats on your first Overclock.

If you want to push more, apply some thermal paste (arctic cooler/cooler master) and try again. You may be able to touch 4GHz magic mark.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I already touched it, but system crashes frequently , esp after few mins the desktop appears. Anyway i just buy thermal paste and will try pushing further, who knows even i OCed it to a 5GHz mark :D
Anyway desiibond, i have a doubt.In everest report, it shows the Maximum Clock is 3800MHz.Is it possible to OC this to a 4GHz mark?

fuzzz

Broken In
congrats rajkumar.. i know how it feels when u get your first ever stable overclock :)
now try what desi suggested.. some arctic silver.. an after market cooler.. and some tweaking.. and u should get be able to get some more juice out of it ;)

paroh

Padawan
Hi guys,
This is my first successful attempt in OCing. I have a P4 Prescott 524 3.06GHz processor, and yesterday when i try to re-install the OS i just accidentally come across a option called Jumper Free in BIOS and i start play with that.

After few tries, i found what is what?.Then i increase the FSB(used Linked Mode instead of Auto) gradually and OCed my proccy from 3.06 to 3.15GHz and it increased gradually and i reached 3.8GHz :shock: at one stage.

But the system is not stable at that FSB and so i start decresing FSB gradually to see at which point the system is stable. Hurrah ! As a wonder my system was stable at 3.72GHz :shock: .

*rapidshare.com/files/188050807/OC-By-Me.JPG.html

Just download(just 89KB) this file and see what have i done?

After finding the stable FSB , i want to know the max limit of proccy and it goes upto 4.2GHz :D , but of no use, coz after the Windows welcome screen , a BSOD appears. So i just stop by 3.72 GHz, and i want to check its stability.So i play GTA 4 three hours in a stretch without any hiccups(yup,at lowest settings) and no crash,no BSOD etc.

The only problem is the temperature is around 70-75 C and the noise is also high.
Anyway i am happy on my successful attempt of OCing. Now i know what you guys are talking about.

Can u please tell me whats the meaning of Jumper Free in BIOS and which board u use for over clocking and Please tell the whole procedure of over clocking (Whether hard ware side over clocking or software level over clocking)

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I am using ASUS P5N MX Mobo. In Advanced tab, there are list of options like Jumper Free, CPU Configuration, blah,blah.
Enter Jumper Free option and change the FSB Mode from Auto to Linked(I am a novice in OC,so i select this) or Linked(if u r expert in OC).Change the FSB(QDR)Mhz,(this s how in my BIOS) value gradually and check the CPU speed at CPU configuration. thats it.

paroh

Padawan
I am using ASUS P5N MX Mobo. In Advanced tab, there are list of options like Jumper Free, CPU Configuration, blah,blah.
Enter Jumper Free option and change the FSB Mode from Auto to Linked(I am a novice in OC,so i select this) or Linked(if u r expert in OC).Change the FSB(QDR)Mhz,(this s how in my BIOS) value gradually and check the CPU speed at CPU configuration. thats it.
My board don't have any such option please tell any utility that can help me over clocking

Last edited:
OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ lol.. Dude, i check the temp in BIOS and it shows 55 C, May be coz its not under load while in BIOS. And i haven't yet faced any problems with the OC and i try to push it further. I am planning to buy Artic Silver compund and a after market cooler,to know max limit it can ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
remember. Intel dual core processor is availble for 2.5k. Make sure you spend not more than 50% of this amount. coz if you are thinking of spending 2k or so, it's better to get a new processor.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Dude i'll wait and get a Quad Core a month or two later.As i just now bought two 320GB HDD.And planned to buy a 9500GT by end of next week.So i'll wait for another two months and get a Quad Core(may be a Q8200 or Q6600).
BTW,I am going to buy Artic Silver for 350bucks and a Aric Cooling Pro fan for another 350bucks.So no harm for wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom