My eXPerience with XP64 Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake eyes

Right off the assembly line
I installed 64 Bit XP (SP1) :roll: a few days ago on a system with following config.
Pentium2.66
512MB RAM
6200TC (128MB) PCI-E
The experience has been mixed one...some good and some bad.
I am just typing these as they come in mind. Not in any particular order.
First good thing is the bragging rights. Not many people have 64 bit processors, leave alone 64 bit OS.
But thats not much good...is it??
Also this system feels a tad faster. But I am not so sure.

But the real trouble comes when you have to install software...specially drivers.
Display drivers have to be 64 bit ( N'Vidia).
Sound wont play untill some patches are installed.
I have 8 channel onboard sound...but the drivers are 32 bit only...so they run in 32 bit compatibilty mode
I have not installed modem till now. Dunno if 64 bit drivers have to be downloaded for that too.

There are two Prgram files folders....one or 32 bit and the other for 64 bit software.
Any software of 32 bit has a 32 written after it in the task manager.
Also some software wont run..i get a message that the file is valid but for another type of OS (Huh).
Compatibilty issues are present inspite of tall claims by vendors.
Microsofts .Net,TweakUI and others like Java have to be 64 bit.
Quite some pain downloading them considering that I dont have broad band.
Some games like SilentHill4 wont run ....Message is that the game is not installed properly.
Other games like Black&White in diagnostics would show the OS as incompatible...but would run fine.
The OS gets detected as Windows Server2003...not as XP.
Quite some tweaks like modifying start button text dont work here.
Also you cant open explorer.exe in Resource hacker.
Interestingly icon storage file...shell32.dll is still named shell32..not shell64 as I expected.
Basically its same as in 32 bit.
There are quite some other issues too..but I cant type them right now.
May be later.
You can install this OS if you like tinkering with your computer a lot.
For casual or intermediate users...I'd suggest stick to 32 bit atleast for 6 months.....its not reallly smooth sailing as for now.

Thats all ....
Any questions or comments are welcome.

Kniwor

Learner
i installed 64bit and uninstalled in a day....

not i am planning on installing both just because i want to finish FarCry 64bit.....
THIS HAS STUNNING GRAPHICS

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
OK. I had got XP 32 and 64 for 3 months and now i had settled to XP x64 edition. Got each and every drivers. I think if u have got a 64 bit processor use it's whole capability would u like to walk on 1 feet even if u have got both of ur feet working

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm... i cant find drivers for my old (extra, not my primary) creative soundcard, my nokia cable and my bluetooth dongle... And there are not many programs out there which are 64 bit!

Kniwor

Learner
I do not have any driver problems just not using it for stability issues...

will someone give me a GOOD virtual drive software for XP 64 bit, I have 1 but that does not have GUI and is command based.... abhi to usise kaam chala raha hoon

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
Even Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 has got the virtual drive for XP x64

@kalpik you can use 32 bit softwares on x64 XP and for drivers visit the manufacturer's site

@Kniwor I didn't faced any stability problem till date

Kniwor

Learner
nishant_nms said:
Even Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 has got the virtual drive for XP x64

@kalpik you can use 32 bit softwares on x64 XP and for drivers visit the manufacturer's site

@Kniwor I didn't faced any stability problem till date

may be u do not run many demanding apps afterall....

another thing is that i was not able to play multiplayer in farcry32bit in winxp64....

so sure there are issues....

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
@nishant_nms: The manufacturer does not make 64 bit drivers what do i do about that? Sue the manufacturer? And not *all* 32 bit applications work on 64 bit. Get me a decent firewall for 64 bit and ill talk..

Kniwor

Learner
nishant_nms said:
U have got problem with ur PC's driver man

i am using manufacturers drivers.... moreover they are not in beta stage or anything... they are final release versions...

also see my config... i have the most popular hardware...

XFX 6600GT
ASUS A8N-E

and the drivers for x64 are well available...

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
I used x64 for quite some tim, had to give it up due to driver issues, namely my printer, also it's a lot heavier on RAM when running older 32 bit apps than XP 32

Kniwor

Learner
installed it basically to play Far Cry...

got a 400 Gb Hard Disk and Iĺl keep both 64bit and 32Bit i gues... and not to mention
Slamd64 also

jamyang312

Journeyman
teknoPhobia said:
I used x64 for quite some tim, had to give it up due to driver issues, namely my printer, also it's a lot heavier on RAM when running older 32 bit apps than XP 32

same case here

Kniwor

Learner
jamyang312 said:
Kniwor said:
installed it basically to play Far Cry...

got a 400 Gb Hard Disk and Iĺl keep both 64bit and 32Bit i gues... and not to mention
Slamd64 also

u must be rich!

not actually...

My college bears all my education expenses (Indian Statistical Institute) teaching, living etc ...
Govt of India gives me 56000 p.a. as scholarship :wink:
I am given all this by the government to get things to study etc....

so now if i get a little money from parents... i can get all that i have.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom