My drives wont let me acess them

Status
Not open for further replies.

clifford

Broken In
Hi there....

well hers the story.... everytime i try to acess my drives that is my D E F drive i always get this error "acess denied"... well after i formated the C drive i was able to double click n get the drive to open up directly...... but the other drive i have to open up by going to the Drop down menu on the top and access...wel can someone help me out here..... i think its a virus prob....

thanking advance

clifford

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
are the other drives cd/dvd drives or different partitions, or different physical drives?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Enable "Show Hidden files" option and disable " Hide Protected system files" option in "Tools -> Folder Options" and then open any drive, e.g. D, E or F.
Now u should get an .inf file or a suspicious .EXE file there. If u can't find then pls post which file/folder u see in the root of these drives.

OP
C

clifford

Broken In
well vishal....i tried ur method but icant see any .inf file or a .Exe i tried all the disabling hide protected system file...but i still have the same prob.....

denzored

Right off the assembly line
if u can access the drive via drop down menu or just by typing the drive letter in the address bar try this.

Open the drive (root like c:\) make sure all file sare visible including hidden,system and protected operating system files..( to change settings go to control panel> folder options > view (tab)
under hidden files and folders check mark the "view hidden files and folders"
uncheck "hide protected operating sytem files"

Now go to the drive root say c:,d: etc press refresh or f5 if needed u should see a file called autorun.inf try deleting it or rename it to autorun.txt ,if access is denied open command prompt navigate and type like this
c:\>cd\ (replace c: with the name of the drive u want to access)
c:\>attrib -h -s autorun.inf
c:\>del autorun.inf or c:\> autorun.inf autorun.txt
accept any warning if any to rename.

Now u should be able to open ur drive by double clicking on the drive icon. if the problem persisit check whether the autorun.inf file returned?? if then u run a virus scan (usually caused by trogens like win32/agent.aec) i suggest using NOD32 and run a full sytem scan once the trogen is removed remove autorun.inf again.

Best of luck..:)

OP
C

clifford

Broken In
well tried all of the above..... i am not able to fix my drive prob..... can it be a virus attack i am using AVG free eddition its up to date as i update it every update which come

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
It indeed is a virus in different forms, I was attacked by both variants & AVG could not stop or cure it then.

1st one changes the group policy without you knowing (I had to manually change it)

2nd it induces inf files (hidden)which auto start the blocking of the drives, I deleted them manually in safe mode.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
This thread should also help u, read my post no.8 & post no.20 in that giving the solution.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47732
make sure u check all drives for inf file in safe mode(enable to see hidden files &folders)

another one for reference is this one, give me different problem but it was related to group policy editor which might be applicable in ur case too.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=512888#post512888

let us know if this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom