My dad agreed to a new comp :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMKM

Right off the assembly line
Hi all
my exams going so a short post only
my dad agreed 4 a new comp after exams i.e. 29th :)

the approx cost dad says must be below 30-35k
plz help me get a good config
i am a GOOD GAMER :twisted:
so hers it
512 mb ram? is it ok or more?
40gb hard disk
dvd writer
intel p4 processor

plz help me choose more

swatkat

Technomancer
Hmmm...I think this would be a good option:-
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
MSI RS480M2-IL Mobo
512 MB DDR RAM (1GB would do better)
Samsung 80GB-7200rpm HDD
Sony DRU710 DVD Writer
and other "normal" things.
All this, you can get under 35k.
Onboard ATi chipset is pretty good! You can refer July Digit for this motherboard test/review.

[Edit]Plz move this to Hardware section.

G

gxsaurav

better & possible option in your budget

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, venice core, or 3200+, but venice core

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard or ASUS A8N-E

2X256 MB DDR400

Samsung 80 GB SATA

Lite-On or Sony DVD writter

Gainward or XFX GeFource 6600GT, as there is no onboard video in this motherboard

crashuniverse

In the zone
intel 64 bit processors are in the market.
u need to check out their performance too before u actually decide to go with amd processors.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
gxsaurav said:
better & possible option in your budget

AMD Athlon 64 3000+, venice core, or 3200+, but venice core

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard or ASUS A8N-E

2X256 MB DDR400

Samsung 80 GB SATA

Lite-On or Sony DVD writter

Gainward or XFX GeFource 6600GT, as there is no onboard video in this motherboard

Ya I think the config with AMD 64 3000+ and Asus A8N-E and XFX 6600GT (PCI-ex) is a good config, but that will eat up around 25k of your budget. I enquired around a week back in Kolkata and I got the following prices:

A64 3000+ ~ 7500
A8N-E ~ 6500
XFX 6600GT PCI-ex 128MB DDR3 ~ 10500

Yes, get a GB RAM if possible but even if you settle for 512MB get a 400MHz RAM. Lower freq are no good. And stay away from the MSI board. It is more expensive but not better than the Asus board. That one is based on the nforce4 ultra chipset and the best available in the market. And don't get a DVD-writer unless it's absolutely necessary. Get a combo drive instead. It is cheaper and also a good value for money. Get a 80GB HDD as well. You decide the rest of the components but these are must.

Thanks

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Sorry about the MSI board. I mistook it for the Neo 4 platinum. That was much more expensive. This board is good and is cheaper and also has onboard ATI graphics and a PCI-ex slot and onboard LAN and sound. It is also around 1500 bucks cheaper than the A8N-E. Get this if your budget falls short otherwise get the A8N-E.

OP
K

KMKM

the biggest problem is
my dad says intel p4
as my computer sales manager has said that
amd processesors do give good performance at the beginning but intel p4 is better for the long run. :cry: :cry: :cry:

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Tell that sales manager that he is better of selling the stuff rather than advising on technical issues (which he doesnt know anything about) and also remind him to grab a copy of Digit if he wants to upgrade himself to 21st century rather than 18th century. :evil:

G

gxsaurav

i third Zombie, that sales manager is simply saying that to eat his commision

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ will give u performance equivalent to a Pentium 4 3 GHz when installed on a 915G motherboard, but it will also run a lot cool in temprature

if Intel, then go for Pentium 4 6xx series, 2.8 GHz is enough, Intel 915GAG or any other 915G motherboard, U will get FX 5200 level graphics which u can lator upgrade

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Crux of the matter is Intel CPU/mobo combo will be costly if you do a cost/benefit analysis. So go for AMD. After all so many AMD fans cant be wrong. I dont say that Intel is bad. Just that for the same amount you can get much more with AMD.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
gxsaurav said:
i third Zombie, that sales manager is simply saying that to eat his commision

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ will give u performance equivalent to a Pentium 4 3 GHz when installed on a 915G motherboard, but it will also run a lot cool in temprature

if Intel, then go for Pentium 4 6xx series, 2.8 GHz is enough, Intel 915GAG or any other 915G motherboard, U will get FX 5200 level graphics which u can lator upgrade
Man this is a very common thing,i dont know why but they seem to always insist on intel.I remember one local assembler told me that even celeron is better than athlon 64..... :) :)
Most probably they are just not familier with amd....most of the assenmblers are trained on intel platform so they just dont want to go with amd in fear of something unexpected.
Another coz may be.....that intel costs more so the profit margin is greater
Any way thake a goos decision...trust experts niot nerds like ur ****** manager

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
When we went to purchase a PC for my room mate in Jan 2002, word on the street was that AMD CPU heats up a lot. Still we went for AMD, our simple arguement was that if you use AMD recommended heat sink, there wont be any problems. Without proper heat sink even mighty P4 may conk off. :twisted:

cyrux

In the zone
take it from me ---P4 has heating probs while amd 64 doesnt have....ask for ur sales manager on what bechmarks is he advising u intel and i m sure he will go mum.....i tell u its because of such people intel is still so popular

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
cyrux said:
take it from me ---P4 has heating probs while amd 64 doesnt have....ask for ur sales manager on what bechmarks is he advising u intel and i m sure he will go mum.....i tell u its because of such people intel is still so popular

Most of the times first time buyers are so very adamant on P4 just because their cousin who "knows" a lot about computers told him. I mean those guys dont know nothing and keep on giving advice. Cunning dealers add to the confusion.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
zombie said:
cyrux said:

Most of the times first time buyers are so very adamant on P4 just because their cousin who "knows" a lot about computers told him. I mean those guys dont know nothing and keep on giving advice. Cunning dealers add to the confusion.

People can be mad when they hear about Athlon 64. Today my colleague and a good friend told me that I was mad that I was spending around 25k for 3000+, A8ne and 6600gt. He told me that there's nothing like Intel and if I spent the same amount on a Intel config, then I would get a better config. :evil: or perhaps if I spent a little more, then I could get a laptop. I am thinking of challenging his machine (a PIII 866 with 128MB ram) with my machine when the upgrade is done. I will tell him to tell his 3d mark 03 and 05 scores and compare that with mine!!! But first a 3d mark score is required from him...in order to compare.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Today if you think about 64-bit computing, of course if you think the future is 64 - at least I think so, the winner is AMD. In this forum you would find several topics by me on AMD64 and 64-bit computing.

Config.:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939
MSI RS480M2 Mainboard
Kingstone 512 MB 400 MHz DDR RAM (Recommended 256 x2)
Samsung 120 GB SATA-II HDD
Sony DRU810A
Microsoft Mouse-Keyboard combo,
Others.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
sidewinder said:
Man this is a very common thing,i dont know why but they seem to always insist on intel.I remember one local assembler told me that even celeron is better than athlon 64..... :) :)
Punch him in his face on my behalf.

I had a similar experience recently. I told a non techie friend to buy a 3000+ and a RS480 mobo. But the dealer flat out refused to build a AMD rig and said that he won't provide any warranty and won't repair it if anything goes wrong. :evil:
His reason was that AMD runs really hot and has very poor performance.
Yeah right! My system temp is 37 degrees WITHOUT any case fans. Lets see a Prescott top that.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
drvarunmehta said:
I had a similar experience recently. I told a non techie friend to buy a 3000+ and a RS480 mobo. But the dealer flat out refused to build a AMD rig and said that he won't provide any warranty and won't repair it if anything goes wrong.

Anti-AMD lobby at work. But trust me now people are getting somewhat interested in AMD since it offers 64-bit computing. This group includes people who have basic to medium knowledge of computers and who read IT magazines like Digit.

OP
K

KMKM

well thanx a lot 4 ur replies
but my dad now says that budget must be less than 25k
including ups. if possible dvd writer also.
ive shown this page 2 my dad and 2morrow will show to my manager also :twisted:
well my dad also suggests if plz the digit's tec section can advice me on it :)
im a class 9th student and a GAMER + i want to pursue my carrier as a soft engg. (most probably 3d designer designing game agrrrrrr MAYA!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom