My cousin has been posted to Siachen

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
You might be thinking what the hell is this thread doing here? WTF....has it got to do with technology...I would enlighten you soon.

My cousin who was quite a brilliant student, got over 80% in high school, decides to join the army without going through the normal route of going to a good college, completing graduation, and getting a job in IBM or with Jasubhai digital media for that matter. Anyways, he was always lazy, sleeping during study hours among other stuff. He is also a Bengali and Bong's are not so famous wearing uniforms. It was quite a bold decision to take. He got through the training period and it was TOUGH. But now he faces a tougher challenge in Siachen where temperature can get down to minus 50 degrees and snowfall about 35 feet! There is no electricity, generators run for three hours, and food is limited to noodles. There are huge chances of frost bite and avalanches, and it takes about more than a month to get on top of Siachen. So where the hell is Technology? Is Technology related to big cities and towns? Is it not needed at places like Siachen, where there is no contact with outside world as such. Yeah, i read in wikipedia that there is the world's highest telephone booth, but i don't know if it works at all. You can't use anything there, no laptops, mobiles or anything tech like. And there are 3000 people posted there, working their butts off. What's the Indian Govt. doing? We just sit here in front of our computers reading this topic through 2 mbps broadband (and it's still not enough to many) , getting fat in our chairs and there they freeze and live as if, we are still in the stone age.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Dont you think keeping alive 3000 people at minus 50 degree is a technical achievement itself ..?
Your perspective of technical advancement is very different from Indian Army ..

And by the way ..Joining Army was your cousin's personal decision and I am sure when he can take such tough decisions and survive the hardcore training, he can survive Siachin too .. Do not belittle his courage and compassion.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
its not the guys getting fat sitting in front of the comps' fault .... its the govt .... and as anand said hats off to ur cous for taking such a bld desicion may he and his crew be safe and enjoy the brandy in the cold

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
Hats off for your cousin's bold decision yaar....

BTW, how do you think that cables are going to be laid there when the land is covered with snow??? The only way to provide proper communication channel, as of now is using satellites... isnt it???

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
it_waaznt_me said:
Dont you think keeping alive 3000 people at minus 50 degree is a technical achievement itself ..?
Your perspective of technical advancement is very different from Indian Army ..

And by the way ..Joining Army was your cousin's personal decision and I am sure when he can take such tough decisions and survive the hardcore training, he can survive Siachin too .. Do not belittle his courage and compassion.
He he he.U think those guys are alive due to technology!!!!!!:D

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
well...the thing is...he is like my own brother....and it would be hard for me not to get in touch with him during that time....and well satellite phones could have been an option. But i guess it's not used there,is it? And the important point is, is it worth to spend millions and millions of rupees in Siachen and still the place is like as cold as your wife after a divorce!

maybe this thinnkdigit forum can cook up some tech products which could be used in Siachen. But the major hiccup is that there is no electricity except from the generators (3 hours every day)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
At that height, you do not require technology like computers, you require

1) A sataite phone

2) Hot tents to survive

3) Way to melt ice for clean water (A must)

4) Way to preserve food for many days. Meat is the best food out there cos it gives the body a lot of heat.

Here is the thing, you bro made a good & tough decision. Not everyone is that gutsy. You should be proud at him, & trust me more then a Broadband connection he is missing a heater there.

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
gx_saurav said:
At that height, you do not require technology like computers, you require

1) A sataite phone

2) Hot tents to survive

3) Way to melt ice for clean water (A must)

4) Way to preserve food for many days. Meat is the best food out there cos it gives the body a lot of heat.

Here is the thing, you bro made a good & tough decision. Not everyone is that gutsy. You should be proud at him, & trust me more then a Broadband connection he is missing a heater there.

yeah....u r right but people need some entertainment naa....when they are so far away from their friends and family...with nothin but clear skies and ice all around you...u need the basic forms of entertainment like watchin a movie sometime and listening to soothing music...

virus_killer

Journeyman
First of all Hats off for your cusine bro, I really appriciate effort of all those soldiers who are fighting for our nation and for us, n your cousin is one of them you should be proud at him.

gx_saurav said:
more then a Broadband connection he is missing a heater there.

true..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom