MY COMP GAVE ME A SHOCK!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by sahil_blues, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sahil_blues

    sahil_blues New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2004
    Messages:
    283
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    New Delhi
    I have a HP Pavilion t560i (3 GHz, 512 RAM, Intel 865g mobo). I bought a BIG Geforce 6600 GT AGP Version (128 MB DD3 video memory) today to replace my Geforce 5200 XT. When I plugged it in and it was working just fine. But suddenly my cabinet started giving a current. Yeah I got to know that afer getting an electric shock when I touched a metallic part!!

    Panicking, I quickly turned the computer off and unplugged all the cables. However, there was still a lot of static charge there. I waited for 5 mins but the current was still there. Then I kind of moved my cabinet and the current suddenly went away. Quite sure that my new graphics card is messing things up, I replaced it with my Gefore 5200. However, the current still comes in intervals (when I move the cabinet again). What might be the problem?? A loose connection?

    Please note that the 6600 GT had to be connected the SMPS. However the 5200 didn't need this. Does the problem lie here?
     
  2. RCuber

    RCuber The Mighty Unkel!!!

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2004
    Messages:
    7,104
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು (Bengaluru)
    check the earthing first. and also ckeck if there is any Current by using a tester and not by touching the cabinet with your hand. If you dont find any current leak from the tester after many trials then i guess its Static electricity. Even i get a shock after sitting for many hours and then touch a metalic part. I suggest you to get a proffesional help if problem persists.
     
  3. OP
    OP
    sahil_blues

    sahil_blues New Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2004
    Messages:
    283
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    New Delhi
    Can it be due to some kind of an overload becuase I connected a more power hungry card? (trying not to sound lame!!)
     
  4. teknoPhobia

    teknoPhobia t3h g04t

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Messages:
    483
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    AnKH Morpork/Tsort
    Your comp is not earted properly... test the earth opin on the wall socket and the power cord, also check if the live and neutral are reversed in the wall socket
     
  5. Ankur Gupta

    Ankur Gupta Wandering in time...

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,293
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Delhi,India
    check the wiring in ur house and also the socket.
    i too had a similar problem and the socket had a problem.
     
  6. amrit1

    amrit1 Are we there yet?

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Near my PC.
    ha ha ha ...........
     
  7. dIgItaL_BrAt

    dIgItaL_BrAt New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Messages:
    1,135
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    not exactly helpful,is it?
     
  8. hsksattish

    hsksattish New Member

    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Tamil Nadu
    Its surely an earthing problem.
    If u overload something, most probably it will get fried but im sure it will not produce any shocks.
     
  9. Nemesis

    Nemesis New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,634
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    New York
    @amrit1: Don't post if you have nothing useful to say. You are simply spamming.
     
  10. nishant_nms

    nishant_nms New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    Messages:
    1,344
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Pune
    It must be related to earthing. Get ur earthing checked by electician. Earlier I had also a problem I was facing geting socks from my monitor and it got correct when my earthing was fixed
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page