MUST READ!!! Triple Buffering: Why We Love It

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Source: *www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591

So there you have it. Triple buffering gives you all the benefits of double buffering with no vsync enabled in addition to all the benefits of enabling vsync. We get smooth full frames with no tearing. These frames are swapped to the front buffer only on refresh, but they have just as little input lag as double buffering with no vsync at the start of output to the monitor. Even though "performance" doesn't always get reported right with triple buffering, the graphics hardware is working just as hard as it does with double buffering and no vsync and the end user gets all the benefit with out the potential downside. Triple buffering does take up a handful of extra memory on the graphics hardware, but on modern hardware this is not a significant issue.

It's a must read article. Enjoy!!!

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Err strnge as it may seem, i dont notice tearing on my lcd panel playing at >120 fps ... and since i'm into MP mostly, i need to play without vsync to reduce mouse lag to the fullest ..

Triple buffering is easy to do now with D3D Overrider :) .. thanks to Unwinder :) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom