MTNL to Offer PC for Rs. 4,500

Status
Not open for further replies.

comrade

foreign return(0)
If you happen to be a Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) customer in Mumbai and Delhi, you will soon be able to get a PC for as low as Rs. 4,500. This PC, is being offered by MTNL in partnership with Chennai-based Novatium and comes with an internet connection for a small monthly fee.

More....

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Pic
*img222.imageshack.us/img222/7627/imgnetpczn1.jpg

Technical details
*img253.imageshack.us/img253/9923/untitledff2.gif

Product Page

Direct link to PDF

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Customers have the choice of using either Windows or Linux operating systems. Since the entire concept is routed through a centralized server, customers are saved the hassles of hardware and software costs as well as upgrades as these tasks are carried out centrally.

So finally we are going close to the Idea of Grid computing :D waoh !!!

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i guess you could call it a dumb terminal right? I mean only some sort of a lean os is running on the machine and all main execution is done at the main servers?

Whos gonna provide the network bandwidth for that to work?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
ilugd said:
i guess you could call it a dumb terminal right? I mean only some sort of a lean os is running on the machine and all main execution is done at the main servers?

Bandwidth will be given by MTNL... and who will use it ?? hey Terminal Server with (CAL) is really really effective....

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ilugd said:

Its better called a thin client
good in IMO as the monitor costs of 3k are optional so one still get a second hand crt @2k then reduce 1k more:)

One thing that I'm not happy with is the 10/100 LAN port. They should have supported Gigabit ethernet 100/1000Mbps port because the main servers are managed within your locality and it's like increasing the FSB of your Motherborad if only it had a Gigabit port!

anispace

dattebayo
but how does it work actually. what happens when i boot up the PC? do i get a full fledged OS like windows or linux or the embedded linux OS.

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
i think that it wont be so popular.
who is gonna buy such a lame computer.
now dont tell that many poor people will buy it! aare those who cant even afford two time meals a day wat will they do of this.
and those who fall in the lowest income range in middle class wont want want to spend money for network.
and for avg earnin people they can atleast afford a 15k comp with at least a bit good config

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Can't trust MTNL. All the information including your documents would be stored on their servers so if there is no network, you won't be able to access anything. There won't be any CPU, u would get only monitor(optional), keyboard and mouse. MTNL's servers would serve as CPU and even OS wud be installed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom