mtnl dialup costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
So I went out of station for a week, got practically no net access there. When I came back, I saw that someone had taken off with my Lan(internet) wire. contacted the local cablewallah isp to fix it, but he delayed it for 3-4 days, then I got sick for few more days and then finally my isp tells me it would cost 500, which I am not interested in paying(for several reasons)...

So I am looking at dialup option here.
I want to how much using Mtnl's dialup would cost. SAy after including everything whats the per hour cost?? Are night charges cheaper?

and what exactly is ISDN?? can this isdn be used with a dialup modem??

ty

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
If you a moderate user, dialup is better avoided due to speed and tariff issues.
AFAIK, pulse rate is 80p/3min. Thus for 1 hr, 16 Rs.+ Internet access charges(about Rs.5per hr)=21 Rs/hr.(somebody plz confirm the internet access charge). I think internet access charge is not applicable during night time.

OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
^afaik those are ancient rates.
Mtnl increased pulse to 6 min and bsnl to 10min in 2005 for night users !
Somebody plz give info abt exact rate of MTNL dialup..

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^afaik those are ancient rates.
Mtnl increased pulse to 6 min and bsnl to 10min in 2005 for night users !
Somebody plz give info abt exact rate of MTNL dialup..
ya, its 6 min for night, 3 min for rest of the day.
*mumbai.mtnl.net.in/internetservices/internet-tariff1.html

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Actually chess, here is a better idea. Since you want to go for MTNL dialup, I assume that you have MTNL landline. Now all MTNL landline holders can get a free dolphin SIM until 31 March. It comes with lifetime validity. What you need to do is get the unlimited GPRS plan activated in this free dolphin number. It would cost you :
Activation charges: Zero
Monthly charges: Rs 350 + tax

At the most 400 per month gets you an unlimited connection to internet. Landline dialup is way expensive than this. Naturally you must have a GPRS/preferably EDGE phone which can be hooked to the PC and work as a modem.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^Mohit, You have a better idea. Doi you have any idea what the speed on GPRS is?

raksrules

Youngling
Is the Dolphin/Trump GPRS speeds good. I am using airtel and find the speeds really good. Also does MTNL have any pay as per your use for GPRS as it is available in airtel (Rs. 14.99 per day for prepaid customers)

kumarmohit

Technomancer
@ Rohan - Unless you are in Rohini, you get near EDGE speeds, In Rohini we only have GPRS yet.

@rak, *delhi.mtnl.net.in/services/dolphin_tariff_opt.htm

Here are the plans. Unfortunately the activation is not zero but 50 Rs. My mistake, Sorry.

OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Hey Thanks a lot mohit, rohan :)
I'll try GPRS, btut i have no idea if my phone supports it..
Also how much wld the pc to mobile cable cost??

and can't seem to find info about the free sim. Where do I apply for it??
Thanks again

Last edited:

raksrules

Youngling
Hey Thanks a lot mohit, rohan :)
I'll try GPRS, btut i have no idea if my phone supports it..
Also how much wld the pc to mobile cable cost??

and can't seem to find info about the free sim. Where do I apply for it??
Thanks again

Let us know what Phone do you use ?
Also for getting the free SIM you need to go to the nearest bill payment center of MTNL. I am going to go to the one near my home this weekend.

MTNL offices are open on saturdays rite ?

raksrules

Youngling
^I have just 2 cheap ( under 2.5k) nokia phones..
Then probably it wont have the GPRS functionality. But today many of the basic phones have GPRS is them. Give you phone model no and/or verify on net whether it has the GPRS functionality.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Saturdays are half at MTNL
For the free SIM you have to go to Sanchaar Haat
The phones complicates matters. I do not guess ur phone is capable of acting as a GPRS modem for PC. The minimum from Nokia is 2630 (I bought one last month for Rs3800). It would need a BT dongle though.

Just checked you can connect 6070 or 5070 with data cable. They are a a few hundred cheaper but I do not have a great experience with data cable which tends to break after some months of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom