msi rs482 vs the nvidia 6100 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I am planning to buy a AMD rig but am confused between the msi rs482 and the nvidia 6100 . I am pretty interested in games and plan to use the onboard graphics only. Please suggest

Ringwraith

Journeyman
The 6100 turns out to be slightly better. I would suggest that!
Xbit Labs wrote:
It should be noted that NVIDIA’s new integrated chipsets are undoubtedly preferable to ATI’s Radeon Xpress 200 not only because the GeForce 6150 and GeForce 6100 are slightly faster in a majority of applications, but also because they offer a much wider functionality.

*www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2539&p=1
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/gf6150-gf6100.html

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
same disscussion here also
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic...71&PHPSESSID=f56ca0b7653576dc98468e4eeb467db5

Kniwor

Learner
About the integrated graphics....
You cannot choose to prefer one over the other....both are same...
the only difference can be some overclocking features in 6100 which i dont know...
yeah 6150 is a bit faster than 6100 and RS480 / RS482

So my suggesion is that considering the chipsets as same compare the price and other features of motherboard and then decide... here´s anandtech

Re-benching the ATI RS482 did not suddenly move the ATI chipset to the front in performance, but it does demonstrate that the ATI RS482 and the NVIDIA GeForce 6100 perform about the same in most benchmarks. The performance is certainly close enough that OEM's will have no overriding reason to choose one or the other chipsets based on a performance advantage. The good news is that buyers can choose either solution based on price or features and get pretty comparable results. NVIDIA has closed the integrated graphics performance gap, but they haven't surged ahead as many expected.

from *www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2553&p=2

G

gxsaurav

Geforce 6100 with a prefered southbridge combination depending on your requirment

almost all the menufacturers out there, have similar configs, except for a few things, most motherboards are Micro atx so u will be limited to 2 PCI slot only

performance & fearure wise Geforce is better as it also gor purevideo, & since it's onboard it cannot be overclocked

Kniwor

Learner
gxsaurav said:
performance & fearure wise Geforce is better as it also gor purevideo, & since it's onboard it cannot be overclocked

well what is this rule......??????????

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Thanks Guys ! by the way what are the price difference of the two ? and could you name some good companies for the 6100 ?

Kniwor

Learner
izzikio_rage said:
Thanks Guys ! by the way what are the price difference of the two ? and could you name some good companies for the 6100 ?

MSI or ASUS..... equally good...

As I said go to the market and decide based on the price which of the 2 i want to buy.....
dont just blindly get a 6100 based mobo if it's not better than MSI RS482M2-IL

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
about the Asus A8N VM, it has the 410 southbridge and from what I found the only difference is that the Asus has less PCEe X1 slots compared to MSI 482 and does not have a TV out and a firewire port. It does however have SATA 2, so how do you compare the southbridge in performance?
By the way what is the price for the Asus K8N VM (not CSM, it is not available) series.

Kniwor

Learner
A firewire port canbe important sometime later, but then again if u are planning to use SATA II when they are out. But as of now dont purchase SATA 2 even if u get because SATA 2 will be no performance bot over SATA. The speed is limited by the drives and not the cables......
So all three, PATA, SATA and SATA 2 have the same speeds as of now...... because the drives are not fast enough to take SATA advntage.

TV out is not useful to me at all....
But if u plan on adding a graphics card later than get MSI RS482, it's better.
so it's up to u to decide.....

Kniwor

Learner
Ok, my opinion goes here after purchasing the mobo....

Get the MSI mobo, not the ASUS one, not RS482.

Get MSI K8NGM2-L

read here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=309221#309221

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I just checked out the MSI RS482 M4 IL mobo on my friends pc . the board is pretty good . it has 8 channel high defination sound and HDTV support and also a firewire port. The asus is a good board on the performance front but certainly misses a few features.
By the way any idea if the TV output cable (from the motherboard header ) is available?
will check the MSI K8NGM2 L .
I did plan to wait for the 6150 but there is always something better round the corner

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Ive used both a system based on RS482M2IL and also ASUS A8VGM. I reccoment 6100 based as is performs better and is better future proof. Also Asus board is based on Nforce 4 (non ultra). and also have a PCIEx1 slot. RS482 lacks that.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
My dealer seems to be pretty insistent that the MSI RS482 M4 series is about to be discontinued. any news on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom