MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

slashragnarok

In the zone
Hi,

I want to know where in India (preferably in Kolkata) I can get the above mentioned card. Also what would be it's tentative price.

Thanks.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try MD Computers. Earlier this month they were quoting 16k for the 1gb version.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arguably the best 6950 out there. Performs closer to 6970 and if you are lucky, you can unlock the additional shaders.

guru_urug

iGoogle
@OP you may also want to go through this

The Radeon HD 6950 Sweet Spot: Five 1 GB Cards Rounded-Up : Radeon HD 6950 1 GB: But It Has Less Memory!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
But among those most probably Sapphire and TFIII might be available here and is most recommended ;-)

sygeek

Technomancer
I maybe not be qualified enough to post in here, but the OP may want to see this:

[Build Complete]6950 successfully unlocked shaders! Shader lock on new cayman gpus not entirely absolute. : buildapc

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ not possible with new batches. And generally it's only true for reference cards. :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently the best bet is the Sapphire Toxic. This card is supposedly a 6970 with shaders disable through BIOS which can be unlocked through the dual BIOS switch. Plus its equipped with a 8-pin+6-pin power connector, so theoretically it can be flashed with a 6970 BIOS without any ill effects.

Also MSI had released a BIOS earlier for TFIII to unlock additional shaders, it might still work.

rchi84

In the zone
Guys there is no need to fret over unlocking the additional shaders. If you are able to, great. If not, oc the card to 900/1400 and you will get 98% of the performance of a 6970 anyways. Look for a card with good cooling. That is way more important..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sapphire HD 6950 Toxic I mentioned is available.

Price?

Guys there is no need to fret over unlocking the additional shaders. If you are able to, great. If not, oc the card to 900/1400 and you will get 98% of the performance of a 6970 anyways. Look for a card with good cooling. That is way more important..

Is it possible to get that clock without changing volts? Although I haven't tried that far, I am getting a feeling on stock volts, it may not reach there. 850/1300 is easily reachable though.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, the price is good enough but on newegg it's selling at $290 whiuch is only RS.14,142 - why we can't get at those prices - we always have to pay high.

BTW, you have a nice and capable rig enough to run multi gpu config - my suggestion is to get one or two Sapphire HD6950 1Gb @ 13.2k now and ( if you are buying one add one later ) - 2x HD6950s will glide through any games you throw at it ;-)

rchi84

In the zone
^^ well, I can run my cards at 883/1375 on 1125 mv, for demanding games like Crysis 2, Witcher 2, Metro 2033 etc. I would say that I can push it more to reach 900/1400 on 1130 mv if I feel like it.

temps go up by around 10 degrees or so. on stock clocks and volts, my cards run at around 53 degrees on custom fan settings at full load. When I run my OC profile, it rises up to 64 degrees on full load.

as always, YMMV :)

Top Bottom