MSI or Sapphire ?

OP
ashis_lakra

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Does that mean if MSI is RMA'ed due to faulty VRAM, i will get full replacement ? (3 year warranty )

whereas, in case of Sapphire, they only replace the VRAM modules and send back the same card ? ( 2 yr parts warranty )

Please post your RMA experience, it would be great helpful.

OP
ashis_lakra

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
My first Sapphire 4670 bought from techshop.in ,card run good for 2months, then it gone completely kaput. No display on screen, checked on other computer too. I sent it for RMA, got 2nd card, it has faulty VRAM (started malfunctioning first day only).
In windows it run fine, but even games like Pocket Tanks couldnt run for more than 10 mins. then i sent it again for RMA, and got a OLD used model 4670 with faulty fan. I spent over Rs 600 ( 2 x RMA ) and still got bad GPU. Finally i gave up and used that card for 5-6 months and sold it at Rs 3000/- ( feb'11 ).

Perhaps i got good value, cuz I bought it at Rs 4875, and i spent 4 months for sending and receiving product by RMA.

OP
ashis_lakra

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
i recently purchased my computer peripherals from theitwares.com and they didnt dissapoint me in first place. Quick shipping. Let's see what happens if any of my hardware fails and what happens after RMA.

sukesh1090

Adam young
Guys btw i have small doubt about my msi card,in my dealer bill it is written that the warranty period is as given by msi and i searched in msi website but can't find the period.so please if any one know the warranty period just tell me guys.
Sorry ashish for using your thread.

tkin

Back to school!!
But Tkin, in all the web sites like lynx-india, smcinternational, anythinginit, theitwares, warranty of Sapphire cards are mentioned as 3 years...no mention of 2 years warranty and 1 year labor only warranty.
Also during the RMA process of my Sapphire card from M.D. computers, they also told me it contains warranty of three years.
Hmm, lets see.....
First hand experience from another forum:
Sapphire Warranty
Call up aditya, and ask if its 3 year full or 2yrs part and 1yrs labor.

And the official website says 2yrs, so I doubt they will give extra warranty for Indian users:
RMA/Warranty
Sapphire VGA products carry a 2 year warranty with all enquires carried out through your initial place of purchase. This can only be carried out by the original purchaser Please contact your Dealer/Reseller for Warranty / RMA service. They will require proof of purchase which includes the original invoice/documentation.
Product Warranty will not be valid even if returned after purchased for the following cases:
-Products that are defaced or physically damaged and modified by customer.
-Products that become non-functional due to customer improper use.
-Products that cannot be verified as Sapphire products.
-Products that do not have a matching serial number between the product
and the original receipt.
-Products not sold from our official distributors or resellers.

GPU or ASIC device (VGA) is sensitive to thermal (heat) issue. The heat sink or fan is designed to meet the requirements for reliability of the product and the warranty is rendered invalid if the product is dismantled or the heat sink or cooler fan are removed as this may causes damage to the GPU or ASIC device . Non-compliance will cause the warranty of the product to be void and repair will be at the users cost.

Currently Sapphire does not directly provide any warranty extensions. Please contact your reseller or distributor for any 3rd party warranty extensions that may be available through them. Any extensions provided by the reseller are independent of Sapphire.
All replacement product may include new, reworked or refurbished product and parts.

Any repaired, replaced or exchanged products will be covered for the remaining period of the original warranty.

Sapphire reserves the right to change this policy without advance notice.

General Card Specifications can vary due to component availability.
NB: Warranty may vary from Country/Region and the customer must verify directly with the Sapphire Authorised Dealer/Reseller from where the product was purchased..
For any overseas return on RMA outside their normal warranty with their local supplier, the local RMA centre will apply a basic administration fee to cover the logistics return of the RMA items back and forth from Hong Kong.
SAPPHIRE- HOME
No mention of 1 yrs labor, its something aditya cooked up I believe, to make people believe it has 3 yrs warranty, and when you take it to them after 2 yrs, they say 1 yr labor, so can't replace.

In my case I only got 1 year warranty for my 4670 :(
Did you go the Official service center of MSI? Or ask your dealer? Dealers cheat, in kolkata supreme gives 1 year warranty for cooler master extreme psu, official service center gives 2 yrs.

Does that mean if MSI is RMA'ed due to faulty VRAM, i will get full replacement ? (3 year warranty )

whereas, in case of Sapphire, they only replace the VRAM modules and send back the same card ? ( 2 yr parts warranty )

Please post your RMA experience, it would be great helpful.
You get replacement for both brands, unless it s an ancient card they do not manufacture any more, in that case either you get credit note or an equivalent gpu in return or a repaired one.

OP
ashis_lakra

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Ordered Sapphire HD 6850 and Belkin Surge protector from theitwares.com ..*www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-excited001.gif

Waiting for it to arrive at home ! *www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy112.gif

tkin

Back to school!!
Ordered Sapphire HD 6850 and Belkin Surge protector from theitwares.com ..*www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-excited001.gif

Waiting for it to arrive at home ! *www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy112.gif
Enjoy games and post pics.

tkin

Back to school!!
Sure.. but the game will not look as pretty as in FULL HD resolution..

I only have a 18.5" Monitor with 1366x768 resolution :(
(Going to upgrade to 24" Monitor within 3 months )
It will look good, the objects will be smaller but quality will remain same.

Post some screenshots of games and also post some pics of the card in "Post your latest purchase" thread.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Sapphire? I just had a Sapphire HD 5770 die on me. I'll probably go RMA it or something, but comparing to my older Asus and even GeCube cards, the Sapphire is definitely a notch down in terms of quality.

Flexing on the heatsink/fan mechanism, the card itself shaking slightly in the slot when pressure is applied - stuff like that really matters. the Asus cards I had sit rock tight in the PCIe slot, it's as if a metal is welded to the motherboard - no amount of pressure makes it flex.

As far as ATI go, I would really recommend Asus, MSI and Gigabyte. If you're on a budget, go for VTX3D or HIS. Sapphire is really more of a mid-range brand, probably on the same level as HIS.

tkin

Back to school!!
Sapphire? I just had a Sapphire HD 5770 die on me. I'll probably go RMA it or something, but comparing to my older Asus and even GeCube cards, the Sapphire is definitely a notch down in terms of quality.

Flexing on the heatsink/fan mechanism, the card itself shaking slightly in the slot when pressure is applied - stuff like that really matters. the Asus cards I had sit rock tight in the PCIe slot, it's as if a metal is welded to the motherboard - no amount of pressure makes it flex.

As far as ATI go, I would really recommend Asus, MSI and Gigabyte. If you're on a budget, go for VTX3D or HIS. Sapphire is really more of a mid-range brand, probably on the same level as HIS.
Every electronic component can fail, msi/asus have better build quality in general but sapphire is good too, nothing comes close to the cr@p xfx makes.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Every electronic component can fail, msi/asus have better build quality in general but sapphire is good too, nothing comes close to the cr@p xfx makes.

I will have to agree with you about XFX - really poor quality stuff given the price their cards retail at! Later revisions (newer stock) of most of their cards have a cheaper PCB with less voltage control over memory and core as well as cheaper, lower latency memory chips.

I've also heard stories about really poor capacitors used in XFX boards.

In my experience, some brands are definitely better than others. I had an Asus GeForce4 MX card which had just a little aluminium block as a cooler - the card still works on an old PC used for office work by my cousin (bought December 2002 - that's 8 years and counting!)

I had an Asus V9950 GeForce FX 5900 card - it tooks some serious stress from OCing, heck, load temps used to go as high as 90 degrees on that thing! It lasted till earlier this year, a very long time given the history of heat issues of the GeForce FX and the conditions it ran under (plus, it was bought in January 2004......). Even so, the card itself still works, it's just the thermal paste from the heatsink which was no longer able to hold the heatsink/fan combo.

My GeCube Radeon HD 3870 still works - all I need to do is plug it in and it boots right up. For a 3-year old card, I have no complaints either.

I also had an XFX GeForce 6800 GT card. Failed within 1.5 years. Any amount of dust accumulating in the closed metal HSF would cause it to overheat, so I had to specifically clean it's HSF by disassembling it every 1 or 2 months. I've never seen worse.

And now, this Sapphire.....I always thought Sapphire meant quality. But this too failed in 1.5 years. I can give it for RMA since it's still in warranty, but nevertheless, it is disappointing for me to accept the bitter pill that a relatively unknown brand like GeCube did better than the famous Sapphire......

Heck, the GeCube, the Asus - looking at them, you can tell they were built to last. Well-designed HSF, extremely solid PCB, no skimping on DVI slots either. Can't say the same about my Sapphire HD 5770 or any XFX card till date.

IMO, a better brand is always worth the extra money. If you cannot get a better brand due to budget problems or any other reason, it's better to go for a card based on the reference design PCB since those cards would likely be made by a contractor to NVIDIA/AMD's quality standards rather than the individual vendors (cooling systems, however, can still vary).

EDIT: For what it's worth, my GeCube HD 3870 was based on the AMD reference design PCB, and thus was probably made to AMD's quality control. The drivers even say "built by ATI". That's probably why it's still running great.....:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom