Moving to OpenSuse !

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Am using ubuntu, but am bored of it.
Thinking of opensuse !! am just worried about yast and repos available ! does it also have all software easily available just like ubuntu's synaptic ???????

Does the DVD Provide an out of the box experience ??
unlike ubuntu needed ATI graphics and ALSA Driver Install and also of course the multimedia plugins and codecs.

and guys any fast servers from where i can download opensuse ?? at full 2Mbps ;):)

I basically want to spend least time on Sys Admin task and save my precious time and be more productive and get the job done....!! hence looking for an out of the box linux !
Compiling software for install is a big over head.

Last edited:

damked

Broken In
Good Decision. The Open SUSE DVD provided by Digit is really great. You may have some issues while playing Videos since all codecs are not supplied. But that can be easily rectified by installing mplayer and its GUI kmplayer.

Yast by default has good collection of repositiries. But I will suggest you to add repository from www.packman.org also.

drsethi

Journeyman
Opensuse is great for new and experienced users alike. Easy to install and upgrade. Multimedia support comes handy at *opensuse-community.org/Multimedia

OP
a_k_s_h_a_y

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
really >? that's good news.
something wrong on my end then.
will try again today night at 2AM ;)
the download speed that i get is very slow. as slow as 8KBps... today morning...!!

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I am on 256kbps connection and downloaded SUSE at the day of release. I was getting ~28kBps constant... the servers are fast. My experience, use Australia mirrors... they are fast.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Am using ubuntu, but am bored of it.
Thinking of opensuse !! am just worried about yast and repos available ! does it also have all software easily available just like ubuntu's synaptic ???????

I feel software selection is less than Ubuntu's, but good.

You will need these repositories
*en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories
OSS
Non-OSS
Update

*en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories
Packman
VLC

If you install KDE
*en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories

If you install GNOME
*en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories

If you want Virtualisation
*download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/

Other Repos in the links mentioned above for special needs. In all the above repos click on mirrors, and in that look for the mirror with the score 100 or above. I usually use the unixheads mirror or mirrorservice.org mirror (UK mirror service).

Also refer, for offline mass installs
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91169

And this, for information on SUSE rpm installs, written for 10.3 but it's similar for 11.0
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87650

Does the DVD Provide an out of the box experience ??

NO

unlike ubuntu needed ATI graphics

*en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories#ATI_Video_drivers

But refer Ati How to in that and they say that the official site has better drivers??

and guys any fast servers from where i can download opensuse ?? at full 2Mbps ;):)

Use Bittorent

I basically want to spend least time on Sys Admin task and save my precious time and be more productive and get the job done....!! hence looking for an out of the box linux !
Compiling software for install is a big over head.

Out of the box?? OpenSUSE comes with SUN JRE, acrobat reader (acroread), and flash plugin. I do not know if any other out of th ebox features are bundled, certainly not NVidia or ATi drivers, or codecs. You'll have to install them from the repos above

Last edited:
OP
a_k_s_h_a_y

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
thanks man for that...!!
doing the opensuse hopefully tomorrow or day after as soon as am done with the download...!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom