Mouse/device for the differently-abled.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone!

recently an acquaintance of mine, after seeing my Cyborg R.A.T. 3 mouse, posed an interesting query to me. he told me about a friend of his, who is handicapped, and can't move (moves on wheelchair). he works on high-end softwares from adobe (photo works & graphical editing), and uses a simple mouse for that. he has only one hand, hence he uses the on-screen keyboard. i was told that he has seen his friend clicking the mouse-buttons so quickly that for we people it is unfathomable to understand what's he doing. i was requested to suggest something to him that could ease his work.

i explained to him that the R.A.T. 3 is a gaming mouse, and such peripheral devices meant for gaming have certain buttons that can replicate keyboard-actions if recorded to them as 'macros'. i told him about a few such devices like the Razer Naga & Belkin Nostromo, as well about 'autohotkey' script. beyond that, i didn't know what to suggest to him, and thought of seeking suggestions from our members here, on what could facilitate my acquaintance's friend in his work, and/or how.

thanks!

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
what type of functionality is he looking for?
fast mouse?
mouse which can replicate some functions of keyboard?
is he left/right handed? there are left handed mouse available from some vendors

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
1. suggest him mouse gestures , they would be PERFECT for him.

Here is a link for the windows software (strokeit ) that I use: StrokeIt - Mouse Gestures for Windows . Trust me he WILL LOVE THEM! As I do. I am kind of obsessed with mouse gestures. They are a must for everyone!
Combine this with a tool like autohotkey and a 5 button mouse and you have SUPER POWERS.
How you may ask?
autohotkey/strokeit can be setup to do any action (typing letters, sending command, max/min windows, open apps etc)
So you can do things like hold 4th mouse button & click 5th mouse button to execute a particular action. Note autohotkey also has its own mouse gestures scripts , which can also be combined with strokeit! Ex: use strokeit with the right mouse button and autohotkey mouse gestures with the middle mouse button.
This all can get very very powerful and is super configurable!

2. *www.google.co.in/search?q=one+hand...rceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest
3. Powerpro - overwhelmingly powerful, loaded with features , prolly not necessary with something like autohotkey, But another option that can be explored.

hth

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
what type of functionality is he looking for?
fast mouse?
mouse which can replicate some functions of keyboard?
is he left/right handed? there are left handed mouse available from some vendors

actually, he didn't 'ask' first-person to my acquaintance about assistance. it is just that my acquaintance thought of asking me about it due to his concern for his friend.

yes, he should be better off with a mouse that can replicate a few of the keyboard-actions which he may be frequently using.

1. suggest him mouse gestures , they would be PERFECT for him.

Here is a link for the windows software (strokeit ) that I use: StrokeIt - Mouse Gestures for Windows . Trust me he WILL LOVE THEM! As I do. I am kind of obsessed with mouse gestures. They are a must for everyone!
Combine this with a tool like autohotkey and a 5 button mouse and you have SUPER POWERS.
How you may ask?
autohotkey/strokeit can be setup to do any action (typing letters, sending command, max/min windows, open apps etc)
So you can do things like hold 4th mouse button & click 5th mouse button to execute a particular action. Note autohotkey also has its own mouse gestures scripts , which can also be combined with strokeit! Ex: use strokeit with the right mouse button and autohotkey mouse gestures with the middle mouse button.
This all can get very very powerful and is super configurable!

2. *www.google.co.in/search?q=one+hand...rceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest
3. Powerpro - overwhelmingly powerful, loaded with features , prolly not necessary with something like autohotkey, But another option that can be explored.

hth

Thanks a lot CB! you write with such conviction & elation that i myself got excited & bound to suggest these options to him. :)
i will write here what actually transpired after suggesting this to him.

Top Bottom