Moto G 3rd Generation Discussion

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If there is another thread I will merge this thread into it.

So, Motorola is back with 3rd gen of Moto G and Moto X, though this thread is only for Moto G 3rd gen.

*cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/motorola/motorola-moto-g-3rd-gen-1.jpg

The specs:

NetworkTechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
LaunchAnnounced2015, July
StatusAvailable. Released 2015, July
BodyDimensions142.1 x 72.4 x 11.6 mm (5.59 x 2.85 x 0.46 in)
Weight155 g (5.47 oz)
SIMOptional Dual SIM (Micro-SIM, dual stand-by)
- IPX7 certified - water resistant up to 1 meter and 30 minutes
DisplayTypeIPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size5.0 inches (~67.0% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution720 x 1280 pixels (~294 ppi pixel density)
MultitouchYes
ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass 3
PlatformOSAndroid OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop)
ChipsetQualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410
CPUQuad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A53
GPUAdreno 306
MemoryCard slotmicroSD, up to 32 GB
Internal8 GB, 1 GB RAM
16 GB, 2 GB RAM
CameraPrimary13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash
FeaturesGeo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, auto-HDR
Video1080p@30fps, HDR
Secondary5 MP, auto-HDR
SoundAlert typesVibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
LoudspeakerYes
3.5mm jackYes
CommsWLANWi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
Bluetoothv4.0, A2DP, LE
GPSYes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
RadioFM radio
USBmicroUSB v2.0, USB Host
FeaturesSensorsAccelerometer, proximity
MessagingSMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
BrowserHTML
JavaNo
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- MP3/AAC+/WAV/Flac player
- MP4/H.264 player
- Photo/video editor
- Document viewer
BatteryNon-removable Li-Ion 2470 mAh battery
MiscColorsBlack, White
PriceRs
Spec source: Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) - Full phone specifications

The Ad:

Product Link and Price:

1. Moto G 3rd Gen 8 GB Storage 1 GB RAM model: Moto G (3rd Generation) Price in India - Buy Moto G (3rd Generation) Black 8 Online - Motorola : Flipkart.com
Price: Rs 11,999

2. Moto G 3rd Gen 16 GB Storage 2 GB RAM model: Moto G (3rd Generation) Price in India - Buy Moto G (3rd Generation) Black 16 Online - Motorola : Flipkart.com
Price: Rs 12,999

Some notable features:

1. Water Proof : The original Moto G was the first budget phone which was also tested to be water proof for 30 min under fresh water, but this time company is really acknowledging it publicly. Looks like they are finally confident to say it really is waterproof (to most extent).

2. Moto Display : It's an essential part of Moto X. Pick up the phone, and phone will automatically wake up and show you notifications right on lock screen. I can't imagine a phone without this feature. So it's really a nice addition.

3. MicroSD: So 16 Gigs + SD Card option upto 32 more GB. It's a feature since high end phones like Moto X don't have SD Card option. And sometimes I miss it. :p

I have really fall in love with the back of the phone. Starting with Moto X, this phone (Moto G 3rd gen) the back is really good! And Motorola have a knack for making superb adverts! Really outdone this time.

Btw, seriously who will buy the 8 GB version for just 1K less?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Even Moto X have active display. And everyone thought it have no LED. Turns out it had but was disabled. But custom ROM enables this feature.
I am hoping there would be similar thing with Moto G 3rd gen. Let's see.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Even Moto X have active display. And everyone thought it have no LED. Turns out it had but was disabled. But custom ROM enables this feature.
I am hoping there would be similar thing with Moto G 3rd gen. Let's see.

Moto X has an AMOLED display so no problem but on a lcd display the active display would be more power consuming right ?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Moto X has an AMOLED display so no problem but on a lcd display the active display would be more power consuming right ?

Well, yea, it would definitely be more power consuming then Moto X, but that's why maybe it is used in other ways. Instead of displaying the notifications at regular intervals (called breathing notifications) , Moto G 3rd gen might only activate it if the phone is picked up. Reviews and first hand experience is required here.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, yea, it would definitely be more power consuming then Moto X, but that's why maybe it is used in other ways. Instead of displaying the notifications at regular intervals (called breathing notifications) , Moto G 3rd gen might only activate it if the phone is picked up. Reviews and first hand experience is required here.

Hopefully a forum member will post a review if buys it :)

Flash

Lost in speed
Only 1000/- is the difference between the 2 models?
Why would anyone would go for lower one, then?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Only 1000/- is the difference between the 2 models?
Why would anyone would go for lower one, then?

Exactly my sentiment in the last line of original post.
That's some business strategy. You keep the lower end price difference more, and everyone would buy the lower end model. You keep the price difference less, everyone would buy the larger model.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Just checked it out.My colleague bought the 2gb ram version.Physically it felt slimmer than the Moto G2. Rear Camera looked good(Indoor under artificial lights).Front camera is okish. Build quality feels solid and looks a bit premium compared other phones in the same range.No LED notification.There were a bunch of sensors near the camera not sure if there is a disabled led among them. Moto Display is a bit wonky.

ubergeek

Journeyman
Just checked it out.My colleague bought the 2gb ram version.Physically it felt slimmer than the Moto G2. Rear Camera looked good(Indoor under artificial lights).Front camera is okish. Build quality feels solid and looks a bit premium compared other phones in the same range.No LED notification.There were a bunch of sensors near the camera not sure if there is a disabled led among them. Moto Display is a bit wonky.
Does the active display light up the whole display or certain parts alone

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The phone doesn't have a gyroscope?? No photospheres? Can anyone confirm?

It seems to be a rumour. The CPUZ Spec sheet does say it have an Orientation sensor.
Plus to rest all rumours, checkout this spec page: Motorola Moto G (Gen 3) price, specifications, features, comparison
It says it have Gyroscope.

Now, the question is... does it NOT have a compass (magnetic sensor)? :shock:

Techguy

In the zone
The CPUZ page shows the orientation sensor + magnetic sensor.. so both seem to be present..

XDA user has confirmed that Google Photosphere does not work (no option).. which is prob due to lack of gyroscope..
Any other app for similar functionality? Will panoramas work?

NDTV gadgets? Very unreliable... Seriously.. Just read their review.. horrible review..
Even good sites tend to overlook small features like this.

Top Bottom