Moto G 2014 @ flipkart

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
This week, Flipkart is offering 2k for my 3-year-old Samsung Galaxy Y.
There will be a charge for collecting old phone. Not sure how much.
Can i get more than 2k for my old phone elsewhere? A quick check on olx reveals similar range of 1.5 to 2.5k.

The offer is on buying Moto G 2014. Price: 13 - 2 = 11k.

Should i go for this offer or wait a few weeks say until Jan 2015?
Are prices expected to drop by then?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
new mobiles (moto e 2nd gen, Asus Zenfone 2nd gen) are suppose to be unveiled at CES2015 (January 6-9). add another month (february) before retail availability is there. try to sell your mobile locally or through olx though really doubt you'll get more than 2k for such a old and weak phone.

OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
Need help choosing between Asus Zenfone 5 and Moto G 2nd gen.
A price difference of 4k on flipkart ... what advantages does moto g have?

Ronnie012

Earthling
Moto G has better battery and faster upgrade to Android Lollpop. Zenfone 5 has better camera, 2 gb ram but bit lesser battery and slower upgrade to Android lollypop (april 2015)

OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
Moto G has better battery and faster upgrade to Android Lollpop. Zenfone 5 has better camera, 2 gb ram but bit lesser battery and slower upgrade to Android lollypop (april 2015)

Can you explain about the battery as i see that zenfone has Li-Po 2110 mAh battery while moto g has Li-Ion 2070 mAh battery. Doesn't it mean almost same power output by both? Am i mistaken here?

Ronnie012

Earthling
Can you explain about the battery as i see that zenfone has Li-Po 2110 mAh battery while moto g has Li-Ion 2070 mAh battery. Doesn't it mean almost same power output by both? Am i mistaken here?

Well I'm not a battery expert but I did some reading in some forums. Don't bother too much. Both batteries are almost similiar.LiPO batteries are Li-Ion batteries with a polymer casing. (True LiPO batteries are somewhat different than LiION batteries and are costlier than Liion, uncommon and have a grater life span and I'm not sure whether Zf5 has a true LiPO or a Li-Ion in polymer casing.)

Also Iphone 5c uses Lipo.

P.s - Again I'm not a battery expert. Better read about it in google instead.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Well I'm not a battery expert but I did some reading in some forums. Don't bother too much. Both batteries are almost similiar.LiPO batteries are Li-Ion batteries with a polymer casing. (True LiPO batteries are somewhat different than LiION batteries and are costlier than Liion, uncommon and have a grater life span and I'm not sure whether Zf5 has a true LiPO or a Li-Ion in polymer casing.)

Also Iphone 5c uses Lipo.

P.s - Again I'm not a battery expert. Better read about it in google instead.

I am no battery / mobile expert either. Buy as far as I understand the Intel processor used in the Zenphone is not as power efficient as the ones in Moto (Qualcomm). I may be wrong, but do wait for other members' replies also.

Ronnie012

Earthling
Another point I'm not quite sure of. Apparently Intel was somewhat incompatible with jellybean's arm infrastructure. Apparently Kitkat update with Art infrastructure has solved this compatibility issue. With kitkat update i'm getting much better battery backup in my zf5 (though another cause behind this increased battery backup could be using a normal micro sim instead of a cut micro sim)

Last edited:
OP
V

vivek.virgo

Journeyman
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like i'll pass the flipkart offer to exchange my old smartphone as even after the offer i will be paying 2k extra for moto g.

Also as someone pointed out the camera of zenfone being better, it appeals to me as i'm looking for a decent camera instead of buying a separate digital camera.

The only sore spot is internal memory is only 8 GB in zenfone (the one that sells for 9k).

Thinking whether it will impact future usage as in reducing the apps that can be installed? as is the case with my current phone(samsung galxy y). I have not much idea how much space smartphone OS's and apps occupy though 8 GB looks enough (i'm not into serious gaming). A google search shows people running out of space even on phones having 16GB.

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
hold on your purchase for 2 months if you can , you will have 4-5 different and newer choices.. not worth buying old models at this point of time..

i am pretty sure moto g's price is going to drop as well ..

$hadow

Geek in making
I think there is lesser chances of price dropping in a near future. CES will be going to bring some new mid to low rangers.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like i'll pass the flipkart offer to exchange my old smartphone as even after the offer i will be paying 2k extra for moto g.

Also as someone pointed out the camera of zenfone being better, it appeals to me as i'm looking for a decent camera instead of buying a separate digital camera.

The only sore spot is internal memory is only 8 GB in zenfone (the one that sells for 9k).

Thinking whether it will impact future usage as in reducing the apps that can be installed? as is the case with my current phone(samsung galxy y). I have not much idea how much space smartphone OS's and apps occupy though 8 GB looks enough (i'm not into serious gaming). A google search shows people running out of space even on phones having 16GB.

I would say wait for Zenphone 5 2nd Gen it will be available for 10k with 4G and better chipset.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I would say wait for Zenphone 5 2nd Gen it will be available for 10k with 4G and better chipset.

it ships with MTK cpu apparently,wouldnt suggest that over the Moto G 2014s SD400 imho
MTK has worse dev support,roms etc and has lesser battery life than even Intel

Top Bottom