Moto Droid-X on indian network?

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Guys

I need to know if Droid-X can be made to work on Indiannetwroks?
Is anyone of you using Droid-x?

*forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/images/thumb/b/b0/Motorola_Droid_X.jpg/128px-Motorola_Droid_X.jpg

regards
mg

k4ce

Youngling
Re: Moto Droid-X on indian netwrok?

nope ... droid X was made for Verizon (a CDMA carrier) ...

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

Nope. IT's locked. Not possible unless some one finds a way to unlock or the company release a unlocked version.

pauldmps

Banned

If it has sim card slot, can be unlocked & supports quad-band, then you may tru using a CDMA sim (or ruim or whatever it is called)

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah Its a good phone, It has good specs and beats major best sellers. Specs: *is.gd/YK27eF (Link)

Its too bad Moto didn't released it India. But the problem is its CMDA and if it doesn't have the Sim-Card slot
I have to give a try at making it work. There are a few geeks who are using it in India, I want to give it a try.
Whats Say Guyz ! Shall I give a Try!

Regards
mg

pauldmps

Banned
^^ I confirmed that it does not have a sim-slot. So unless there is a way to reflash it with other network's firmware, it won't work.

Does the Motorola Droid X have a sim card slot? - Yahoo! Answers

k4ce

Youngling
@mobilegeek It just cannot be done ... You could however use it like a PMP ... Nothing more ...

aakashdave11

Gadget gyan dispenser
by all means go ahead.....do post the full review of how u got about it.....maybe helpful for other locked CDMA devices...
But the most important part is that the frquencies used in india for CDMA are different from that in US.....so how will the matching be done is a big ques?
Also as it does not have a swappable sim don't know what could be done of that?

p>S: ping if u make progress

Last edited:

pauldmps

Banned
by all means go ahead.....do post the full review of how u got about it.....maybe helpful for other locked CDMA devices...
But the most important part is that the frquencies used in india for CDMA are different from that in US.....so how will the matching be done is a big ques?
Also as it does not have a swappable sim don't know what could be done of that?

p>S: ping if u make progress

You came in this thread too for your nonsense advices ?

So what should I make out of your reply: "by all means go ahead", when you know it won't work here ?

And CDMA frequencies are same everywhere CDMA 800/1900 so that is not an issue.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@mobilegeek It just cannot be done ... You could however use it like a PMP ... Nothing more ...

Samsung Epic 4G, a Sim-less CDMA device, is available on ebay India. If you have Reliance CDMA, the headset can be programmed to your nuimber. There is some simple number to dial... and Reliance guys port your number to that phone.

Sadly, other CDMA carriers in India don't have that facility.

See new Samsung Epic 4G for only 20k... eBay India: NEW SAMSUNG EPIC 4G +BODY COVER for TATA,Reliance & MTS

*i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqYOKkIE1q2cgf!-BNkZsKLz,g~~_12.JPG

and HTC Evo 4G used to be there... but I checked... and now its not...

aakashdave11

Gadget gyan dispenser
You came in this thread too for your nonsense advices ?

So what should I make out of your reply: "by all means go ahead", when you know it won't work here ?

And CDMA frequencies are same everywhere CDMA 800/1900 so that is not an issue.

Better get a grip on yourself while commenting on others....[i think you need to refer forum rules again... ]
If someone is talking nonsense it's definitely not me....i know what i am talking about.....

Here,to shatter your dreams and maybe an already enlarged ego

THINK BEFORE YOU COMMENT.....
XDA discussion

could have bought one here
Motorola Droid X For Sale ! Fully On Reliance - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

i was not talking about the band.....if the band was different then it could not be done...as it would require h/w changes.....whereas i was pointing to specific ranges that countries even carriers in the same countries use...understand :duh2:

Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes it can be done mind you......although no step by step tutorial is available
Some pointers here
[Q] unlock droid x for another network - xda-developers

I have not personally done the unlocking..just had some info from XDA that it is not impossible......so searched and found out......don't pester me for this...

p>S: piss off .....wasted my time....m not the one doing the port......

Soumik

Padawan
i have also heard that we can get any cdma phone to work with reliance. I have changed my mom's reliance set many times.. none so grandeour, but the second set that i got was an LG one which did not have nay sim card slot. They just programmed it in. The next phone was samsung guru, with sim card slot, they just took a new sim card, put it in, and did something to work with same number and all. So, i also believe that if you cna get a droid x, it will work in relaince networks.
Mind you, i myself wouldnt take the risk of trying on such a costly handset unless i get formal confirmation from reliance themselves.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
have also heard that we can get any cdma phone to work with reliance. I have changed my mom's reliance set many times.. none so grandeour, but the second set that i got was an LG one which did not have nay sim card slot. They just programmed it in. The next phone was samsung guru, with sim card slot, they just took a new sim card, put it in, and did something to work with same number and all. So, i also believe that if you cna get a droid x, it will work in relaince networks.
Mind you, i myself wouldnt take the risk of trying on such a costly handset unless i get formal confirmation from reliance themselves

Way too risky to try in a costly phone.

pauldmps

Banned
Better get a grip on yourself while commenting on others....[i think you need to refer forum rules again... ]
If someone is talking nonsense it's definitely not me....i know what i am talking about.....

Here,to shatter your dreams and maybe an already enlarged ego

THINK BEFORE YOU COMMENT.....
XDA discussion

No steps mentioned. Only some people claiming that they've done it.

could have bought one here
Motorola Droid X For Sale ! Fully On Reliance - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums
Handset sold but no reply from the buyer.

And yes it can be done mind you......although no step by step tutorial is available
Some pointers here
[Q] unlock droid x for another network - xda-developers

No info available. Only a guy asking for it & no answer given yet.

p>S: piss off .....wasted my time....m not the one doing the port......

I advice you not to waste your precious time on the forums. Please dispense your gadget gyaan somewhere else.

k4ce

Youngling
Samsung Epic 4G, a Sim-less CDMA device, is available on ebay India. If you have Reliance CDMA, the headset can be programmed to your nuimber. There is some simple number to dial... and Reliance guys port your number to that phone.

Sadly, other CDMA carriers in India don't have that facility.

See new Samsung Epic 4G for only 20k... eBay India: NEW SAMSUNG EPIC 4G +BODY COVER for TATA,Reliance & MTS

and HTC Evo 4G used to be there... but I checked... and now its not...

But these are unlocked fones ... you need some way to unlock em ... and I don't think you will find any help on that ... SIM slot is not the issue ....

How many Droid X have you seen running on Sprint or Cricket ...

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks all for Replying .. and Sorry for delayed reply I have been busy taking a lot of time thinking. You Guys have made me think that maybe what I decided is for the better. I love you guys.

For now, I just bought myself Nintendo Wii Black Console just for less than Ten Grand (incl.shipping)
awesome purchase I am glad...the gadget I have been thinking about for a year now.

There are two things,
It can be done but difficult, and its CMDA without Sim Card that's troubling me. Since I don't use CMDA .. yet. My primary Mobile No is permanent and is GSM. I also had a discussion with a dear friend working in Ericsson on technology and a friend who has a big time hardware guy in Gaffar as well. They both said no first and then they agreed but I said no to myself just before pressing Buy button, bcoz it was cmda :( I just love the phone too much. Its 4.3" with Android and on the move 8MB cam with Flash. what else do I need. Second, I am hearing rumors that a GSM Model is on the way. and even if that's not true soon there will be a phone that has similar features market is filling with androids now. I wish its Motorola bcoz I dont want to buy HTC again, and I don't like Sony or Samsung Much. My next phone is 4.3" inch Android running 2.3 Gingerbread with good camera with flash and which i can use as ipod or something as well with GPS ofcourse (cant drive my SUV without it lol). or If I cant find it soon, my second choice is Unbreakable Amazing Rough Rigid Phone Motorola Defy (which I wanted to buy as my second phone if I had some money .. I checked somewhere it is retailing at Rs.16.9k only) ;) So, If you find out the GSM Alternative to Droid X ..then letme know ASAP. I would buy it in a flash. On second that if its not too expensive hehe.

@aakashdave11
Brother .. you are saying it right that its not impossible but be generous when you talk and just be generous with the life you live, It makes us a better person. You can become a better person by saying things right way doesn't mean we have to be right but we have to try that. Like if you are confident, then try some things out show us how things are done rather than saying PEOPLE are doing it. Finding out how exactly it is done is the tricky part. that's the difficult part of life we live-in on this planet earth. Be Generous to yourself and Be Generous to All. Live And Proper .. Om Shanti!! ;-)

^^ I confirmed that it does not have a sim-slot. So unless there is a way to reflash it with other network's firmware, it won't work.
yes I know .. but its not that its not possible. Though I dont change sim-cards often...it is that I dont want to stick one carrier forever. That scares me :x

Way too risky to try in a costly phone.
yeah I know .. thats why I didn't get NOD from elder brother. Call it old fashion but we respect.

No steps mentioned. Only some people claiming that they've done it.
Handset sold but no reply from the buyer.
No info available. Only a guy asking for it & no answer given yet.
yeah man.. that what sucks. i am sorry to say but some stupid desi are like that. We want thing our way we want fast and we dont want to share them. Very few people have said that they have done it and they just run off after wards... like they are AOWL now.. WTF .. rather than showing off to girls in college to get laid. Why cant they just come back share it .. Sharing is Caring. That is why I actually wanted to give it a try and just solve this mystery.
SIM slot is not the issue ....
How many Droid X have you seen running on Sprint or Cricket ...
Exactly My Point

Regards
mobilegeek

Last edited:

pauldmps

Banned
@OP
First of all, CDMA is a better technology than GSM. You might know that there are no network congestion or dropped calls possible on CDMA like GSM. Most of the carriers in US are CDMA. Unfortunately, CDMA could not become popular in India due to lack of handset choices.

About the buying advice, it seems that Motorola Milestone 2 is available in India for 21k. See if you are ready to get that instead.

OP
mobilegeek

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah I know CDMA is good .. but In India we are going nowhere near that. So, What to do. Sometimes we dont have a network at places then forget about dropping calls. I have to go off-city at times.

Milestone 2 is Qwerty *dl.dropbox.com/u/1871343/Smiley/banghead.gif and its only 3.7".

Is there any news about Milestone X ??