Motherboard upgrade ... need experts suggestion!

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

still find time for games
Else, get a decent P45/P35 board, mount an excellent HSF OC that CPU and you should be fine for 2 years. End of this year, slip in a refreshed line GPU.

This is the way I'll be going.

Now, is suggested G41 motherboard enough? or should I really go for P43/45 motherboard? I do have PCIex 2.0 graphics card.

I'll buying CM Hyper 212 cooler, how much I can safely OC the e8400? 3.5 GHz?

ajai5777

Youngling
Ajai, just a request buddy.. don't use these kinda word, it may hurt other feeling. Look, people can make mistakes (althogh Jaskanwaris right here), but using this kind of comment will just discourage them or start a fighting.
what we can do is just show them their mistakes with valid points, not using harsh language.

Sorry to jaskanwar sing n all.I wont repeat it.

But still E8400 cant be compared to X6 1055

Guys, it has got Turboboost so in less threaded applications (up to 3)
the cores will work @ 3.3ghz.In highly threaded applications, core number wins.

3 cores @ 3.3 ghz will beat 2 cores @ 3ghz any day...

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Yep just wait for the new proccy's
even i was supposed to get a new rig but i've now delayed it to next year

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

8400s not at all that outdated

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
This is the way I'll be going.

Now, is suggested G41 motherboard enough? or should I really go for P43/45 motherboard? I do have PCIex 2.0 graphics card.

I'll buying CM Hyper 212 cooler, how much I can safely OC the e8400? 3.5 GHz?
Sorry meant P35/P45. No use of G31, since the PCI.E version is outdated now. Rest is your choice. If you want to retain what you have or go for a ful fledged system change.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

I'll go for P45 mobo but this time I'll stick to Gigabyte. Along with I'll buy CM Hyper 212 to do some over clocking.

Can you give some suggestions regarding Gigabyte P45 mobo?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Sorry to jaskanwar singh n all.I wont repeat it.

But still E8400 cant be compared to X6 1055

Guys, it has got Turboboost so in less threaded applications (up to 3)
the cores will work @ 3.3ghz.In highly threaded applications, core number wins.

3 cores @ 3.3 ghz will beat 2 cores @ 3ghz any day...

its okay AJAI....i would like to say a thing that if i give some suggestion to op i have a proof for it okay...games are not so developed to use 6 cores...u can see that athlon x3 better than athlon x4 in gaming...most of them favour clock speeds more..e8400 clocked at 3ghz is a good proccy for gaming...considering turbo core it only increases the performance by 2-8%

here is the proof from toms hardware....

gaming cpu chart
Core 2 Extreme QX6700
Core 2 Quad Q6700, Q9300, Q8400, Q6600, Q8300
Core 2 Duo E8600, E8500, E8400, E7600
Core i3 -530, -540

equals

Phenom II X6 1055T
Phenom II X4 945, 940, 920, 910, 910e, 810
Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
Athlon II X4 640, 635, 630
Athlon II X3 445, 440, 435

this chart means to say that if you want to upgrade from a processor to another one in the same block (the above shown is 1 block only) then its not worth because the performance will not take a huge jump in gaming

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@arijit_2404, now you got to find a P45 or P35 mobo. but take little time & find the total pricing of Athlon II X4 630 + Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H. than check what will be the total value of E8400+ any good P35/P45 mobo. if you X4 630 + the giggy mobo comes out cheap, make the switch. else stick to asigh's recommendation. both way you'll get good result. but yes. if you apply good cooling like Hyper 212, 4Ghz possible. but will require tweaking bios a lot & also fiddle with voltage. same true for the Athlon II X4 chips. so conclusion: get one which is cheaper.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

Thanks Sam.
If I stick to E8400 now, I'll have to buy only a good P35/45 mobo.
If I switch to AMD, then I've to buy PCU + mobo (minus money from E8400 sale).

Anyway, I have few weeks on my hand, because my PC is still working fine if I use it extensively not more than 5/6 hours stretch while gaming.
So, I still have some times to decide and buy either a new mobo or AMD cpu + mobo combination.

But thanks to all of you for your inputs.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks Sam.
If I stick to E8400 now, I'll have to buy only a good P35/45 mobo.
If I switch to AMD, then I've to buy PCU + mobo (minus money from E8400 sale).

Anyway, I have few weeks on my hand, because my PC is still working fine if I use it extensively not more than 5/6 hours stretch while gaming.
So, I still have some times to decide and buy either a new mobo or AMD cpu + mobo combination.

But thanks to all of you for your inputs.

so check price & availability. but one thing sure, in future (1-2yrs) if you want upgrade, you'll have to sell the Intel kit. & so is AMD. cause till than 32-22nm processors will be out along with maybe 8cores for 10k (who knows?). and maybe AMD will discontinue support for Athlon II processors on their motherboard.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
IMO there is no need to spend on a 9k combo now for gaming that will just equal the gaming performance of your current system.
Better get a 3k board and wait for next year.

Top Bottom