Motherboard upgrade ... need experts suggestion!

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

still find time for games
OK, Jas - I got the point.

It seems, Phenom II X6 1055t + TA785GE 128M + my current setup = decent gaming for next few years.

I will also buy an cooling solution, CM Hyper 212.

One more question: This biostar motherboard has 128MB Radeon HD4200 Graphics Sideport memory. Can I use this memory along with my hd4850 card?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
no you cant use sideport memory with dicrete graphics card....
biostar is fine although i would say get the gigabyte one...worth it...

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

are you going to oc also?

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

no you cant use sideport memory with dicrete graphics card....
biostar is fine although i would say get the gigabyte one...worth it...

are you going to oc also?

Sure, I'll look into that Gigabyte model.

I won't do OC at first, but I'll start doing it few months later.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, I think you forget one thing. In the next quarter, both AMD and Intel are going to lunch their new generation pf processors and their is a little chance that (even for AMD) that these chip-set will be backward compatible with any of the current gen processors (for new mobo) or Motherboards (for future processors).
So just going for a completely new rig is not a very good idea at that time. Even if the Op goes for say Athlon II 630, it needs him a complete system change and there is a good possibility that within 1 year after the release of new gen AMD processors, these will be obsolete.
So getting a LGA 775 based board is a better option.
And my suggestion is even a C2Q is not required. C2D e8400 is a very good processor for normal work and gaming. I'll suggest with a new LGA 775 mobo, wait for few months for the new technologies to be emerged in the market.
What you can do is upgrading your CPU.

Last edited:

ajai5777

Youngling
Biostar mobo is gr8 at OCing and cheaper. 4.4k on a AM2+ DDR2 board isnt worth to spend.
The biostar board has got HT3 5.2GTs and 8GB max memory and support for latest X6 proccies.What else you need? Its very much future proof.X6 itself is future proof also some future proccies in AM3 may support AM2+.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

Hi Cilus,

I don't follow hardware techs so closely, you may be right.
But here's my point of view.

If I get Gigabyte/Biostar & X6 1055t combo, my current setup will look like somewhat this:

An AM2+ motherboard with two free slots to add more RAM.
Phenom II X6 CPU.
An HD4850 card.

So for getting good gaming experience (apart from regular work I do) at 1440x900 resolution, this is enough. I can replace my graphics card and add more RAM to this setup at any point of time in future. So it'll keep up gaming performance very well.

So isn't this setup is going to be a 'great value for money' setup for few years more?

Just a thought!

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
giga mobo costs 4200 INR

nicely pointed out by cilus:)
your current processor is good. better wait for new processors to arrive next year..till then save up some more dude...go for a 4k mobo now

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

ajai gigabyte one costs 4.2k and not 4.4k

ajai5777

Youngling
Hi Cilus,

If I get Gigabyte/Biostar & X6 1055t combo, my current setup will look like somewhat this:

Phenom II X6 CPU.
An HD4850 card.

So for getting good gaming experience (apart from regular work I do) at 1440x900 resolution, this is enough. I can replace my graphics card and add more RAM to this setup at any point of time in future. So it'll keep up gaming performance very well.

So isn't this setup is going to be a 'great value for money' setup for few years more?

Just a thought!

This is very much future proof.We cant change our rig every time when Intel or AMD launches a new series proccies.

If you need complete futureproofness, sell off your DDR2 and get a AM3 DDR3 mobo.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AJAI
it will not do not do any harm waiting for new proccys to arrive....
if in gaming it is not worth spending on x6 1055t over e8400 as their gaming porformance is same...

ajai5777

Youngling
There is an opposite side that cilus pointed out.

E8400,4GB DDR2,HD 4850 its still good at high end gaming.In short, no need to change the proccy now.

You can go for a G41 board @ 2.5k with 2 DDR2 slots and a PCIex 16 slot.Then your problem solved @ 2.5k and you can save the rest of money for a mass future upgrade.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

There is an opposite side that cilus pointed out.

E8400,4GB DDR2,HD 4850 its still good at high end gaming.In short, no need to change the proccy now.

You can go for a G41 board @ 2.5k with 2 DDR2 slots and a PCIex 16 slot.Then your problem solved @ 2.5k and you can save the rest of money for a mass future upgrade.

You've made a good point. Do you care to explain which G41 you're referring to? :?:

ajai5777

Youngling
in gaming it is not worth spending on x6 1055t over e8400 as their gaming porformance is same...[/B]

Who told you that..? at any thread level E 8400 is no match for X6 1055.It should be compared to core i5 n i7 not E 8400:razz:

E 8400 got 2 cores @ 3Ghz
X6 1055 got 6 cores of 2.8Ghz 3 of them @ 3.3Ghz in less threaded apps.

For multi threaded games like BFBC2 X6 wins in core number
For less threaded games X6 runs @ 3.3Ghz of 3 cores so again wins

Never ever make such pathetic comments.

You've made a good point. Do you care to explain which G41 you're referring to? :?:

Asus P5QPL-AM @ 2.5k

It fits your needs.You can add your 4GB DDR2 in it and E8400.HD 4850 in PCIex 16.

Then you can sell this whole setup in future when you need the mass upgrade.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Ajai
first check toms hardware cpu chart and then comment on my post
i am talking of gaming

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

X6 is made for multitasking and it excels in that

Cilus

laborare est orare
WTH ? man..he has got corsair TX 750.

Thanks for pointing it out. I was trying to say CPU, but sleep of hand.:-o
Updated my post.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Hi Cilus,

Phenom II X6 CPU.
An HD4850 card.

Just a thought!

For playing games in 1440X900 (19" LCD resolution), even your current config is good enough.
And about your new configuration:
The motherboard you suggested is based on AM2+ platform and just supports new AM3 processors (a lot of advance features like HT 3.0, ACC or advance clock calibration) will be disabled.
For even AMD standard, AM2+ is older platform and AM3 is the current platform. Now very soon, when AMD and Intel going to release their next gen processors and new chip-set based for their motherborad, them your motherboard may face a grave support problem as these kind of motherboards will be phased out. So don't just jump for a premium level upgrade, when your current system is good enough for now.
A good example is DDR2 and DDR3 ram. The performance difference between a DDR2 800 and DDR3 1333 is negligible, but people are going for DDR3 just because, it is a future-proof solution as DDR2 is phasing out.
I will suggest you to get a BIOSTAR TP43E Combo @ 4.2k or Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L @ 3k motherboard for now

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Ajai
first check toms hardware cpu chart and then comment on my post
i am talking of gaming

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

X6 is made for multitasking and it excels in that

Ajai, Jaskanwar is right about the gaming. In gaming, although some multi threaded games are released, till we actually don't need more than 2 cores for gaming. In fact Tom's Hardware has an article "Do we need anything above Athlon II X3 430 for gaming?"
E8400 with 3 GHz and a huge L2 cache can perform very good in gaming, compared to some of the entry level quad cores and 6 cores.

Never ever make such pathetic comments.

Ajai, just a request buddy.. don't use these kinda word, it may hurt other feeling. Look, people can make mistakes (althogh Jaskanwaris right here), but using this kind of comment will just discourage them or start a fighting.
what we can do is just show them their mistakes with valid points, not using harsh language.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

For playing games in 1440X900 (19" LCD resolution), even your current config is good enough.
And about your new configuration:
The motherboard you suggested is based on AM2+ platform and just supports new AM3 processors (a lot of advance features like HT 3.0, ACC or advance clock calibration) will be disabled.
For even AMD standard, AM2+ is older platform and AM3 is the current platform. Now very soon, when AMD and Intel going to release their next gen processors and new chip-set based for their motherborad, them your motherboard may face a grave support problem as these kind of motherboards will be phased out. So don't just jump for a premium level upgrade, when your current system is good enough for now.
A good example is DDR2 and DDR3 ram. The performance difference between a DDR2 800 and DDR3 1333 is negligible, but people are going for DDR3 just because, it is a future-proof solution as DDR2 is phasing out.
I will suggest you to get a BIOSTAR TP43E Combo @ 4.2k or Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L @ 3k motherboard for now
thanks for your suggestion.

I was bit confused after getting plenty of options in various posts. I had to rethink my own view too!

So, just a new G41 motherboard will be suffice to stay with my current platform and enjoy decent gaming. I think I'd rather add a better cooler and overclock e8400. Ideas are welcome.

I'll later change to new premium platform in due time.:razz:

EDIT: By the way which one of the above mobo is better?

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
See if you can manage a 2nd Quad. The Q9550 is still retailing at 14K. Its the best in line quad available for the LGA775.

Else, get a decent P45/P35 board, mount an excellent HSF OC that CPU and you should be fine for 2 years. End of this year, slip in a refreshed line GPU. This should be fine if you do not move to HD or greater resolutions. I think it is quite pointless to throw out everything for AMD at the moment. You are just changing sockets of the same era and marginal performance levels.

Top Bottom