Motherboard, processor and PSU

OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
Also to add, the RAMs we had were not in pristine condition (the technician said a couple of the chips of the RAM were burnt and maynot work or last long even if they do). Whats the life for a RAM?

So a little confused now as to whether to invest on a ddr3 mobo because I have these RAMs or to go for an entirely new setup ddr 4 and all?

OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
If you can bear the cost then go with the new setup including the ddr4 RAM and psu.

If you can't then keep the fx8350, buy a new compatible motherboard and use the existing ram.

But getting the latest ones is always better because AMD fx has reached eol means end of life.

I am leaning towards this option now.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If you are going to use your old ddr3 ram, better to look into used PC parts with warranty instead of buying new ones.
That is a risk. We can't know for sure if the used parts are already rmaed ones or refurbished ones.

It's always better to go with new ones.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Except that OP doesn't have the budget for even G4560 + B250 mobo + 8 GB DDR4 ram + CX 450.
Budget -22.5K

AMD Ryzen 3 1200 -8500,
Asus Prime A320M-K -5000,
Corsair Value Series 8GB 2133Mhz DDR4 -5500,
Corsair CX450 -3500.
Total -22,500

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryzen 3 1200 setup will cost extra 2k for graphics card too because unlike intel processors Ryzen has no integrated graphics.I will not advice you to go for pentium G4560 system because of meltdown & spectre bug issues with Intel processors.Best option for you would be to wait till feb end & get Ryzen 2200G processor which is basically ryzen 1200+integrated vega graphics so just like intel setup you won't need to buy a graphics card with Ryzen G processors.
AMD Ryzen is much powerful than G4560 in terms of raw performance.

Per core performance of ryzen 3 1200 is slower than G4560 at stock speeds which is the norm(in last 10 or so years,no AMD processor has faster per core speed than similar intel processor).Of course multi core performance of Ryzen 3 1200 is better than G4560 by virtue of being a 4core processor vs 2core processor with hyper-threading.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Ryzen 3 1200 setup will cost extra 2k for graphics card too because unlike intel processors Ryzen has no integrated graphics.I will not advice you to go for pentium G4560 system because of meltdown & spectre bug issues with Intel processors.Best option for you would be to wait till feb end & get Ryzen 2200G processor which is basically ryzen 1200+integrated vega graphics so just like intel setup you won't need to buy a graphics card with Ryzen G processors.

Per core performance of ryzen 3 1200 is slower than G4560 at stock speeds which is the norm(in last 10 or so years,no AMD processor has faster per core speed than similar intel processor).Of course multi core performance of Ryzen 3 1200 is better than G4560 by virtue of being a 4core processor vs 2core processor with hyper-threading.
+1 to this

OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
AMD Ryzen is much powerful than G4560 in terms of raw performance.

How would rate an i3 vs ryzen?
(this might be redundant as there have been many replies after this)
Think there has to be some amount of leeway in terms of the budget now, as because when I started this thread I was under the assumption that I wont be spending towards RAM.

I have always used AMDs back since 1999 starting with amd k6.

I am so tempted to go for an intel processor this time around. Just for the heck of change.

Just so tempted to go for an i3 8100, as my friend has been raving about it. Gotta cut the wife's allowance this month I suppose then.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Why even mention R3 1200 now ?

R3 2200G not only has a good integrated Graphics , but it is also higher clocked , It should have same performance as R3 1300X and it is cheaper .. and some minor improvements like it is a singe CCX die , latency improvements etc..

single thread performance should be roughly equal to G4560 and not much slower like R3 1200 was because of low clocks, and multi thread this is Core i5 7400 level

going by previous Ryzen launches , i expect it to launch in india by 15 feb , you can see some countries have received it already

you have ample budget , sell your RAM , 16GB ddr3 should sell for about Rs 7000

R3 2200G - Rs 8000
Gigabyte A320M HD2 - Rs 4500
8GB ram - Rs 6500

19,000 approx

Only problem is you will need to update the BIOS before you can use this CPU , so get this from a big PC seller, that can update the BIOS for you with older Ryzen processor

i3 8100 , some performance hit due to meltdown patches , plus there are no budget boards available right now , and "rumour" has it their launch has been pushed back slightly due to spectre and meltdown incident , not sure how much truth does the rumour have , there is hardly any info about budget boards

Last edited:
OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
@gta5 Thanks. I am kind of strapped for time and looking to assemble one real quick.

i3 8100 , some performance hit due to meltdown patches , plus there are no budget boards available right now , and "rumour" has it their launch has been pushed back slightly due to spectre and meltdown incident , not sure how much truth does the rumour have , there is hardly any info about budget boards

Can you put these performance hit in numbers? Just wanna get an idea.
Like lets say ideal performance- 100
spectre and meltdown in action which gets Performance to - ??
Performance after patch - ??

It is super likely that I will be buying the parts today. If not 13 8th gen then prolly i3 6th/7th gen. Just cant wait till mid feb now.

16GB ddr3 should sell for about Rs 7000
Yayy!!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
core i 7th/8th gen+win 10 latest version(aka 1709/fall creators update)+meltdown/spectre patch=single digit % performance loss for typical home user
core i 7th/8th gen+win 7/8.1+meltdown/spectre patch=double digit % performance loss for typical home user

Still 8th gen is preferable if you have to choose Intel.

OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
core i 7th/8th gen+win 10 latest version(aka 1709/fall creators update)+meltdown/spectre patch=single digit % performance loss for typical home user
core i 7th/8th gen+win 7/8.1+meltdown/spectre patch=double digit % performance loss for typical home user

Still 8th gen is preferable if you have to choose Intel.
Thanks @whitestar_999 .. These numbers are after the patch ?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
@gta5 Thanks. I am kind of strapped for time and looking to assemble one real quick.

Can you put these performance hit in numbers? Just wanna get an idea.
Like lets say ideal performance- 100
spectre and meltdown in action which gets Performance to - ??
Performance after patch - ??

It is super likely that I will be buying the parts today. If not 13 8th gen then prolly i3 6th/7th gen. Just cant wait till mid feb now.

Yayy!!

Hold on , if you absolutely can't wait then Don't go for Core i3 6th or 7th generation...

going for i3 8100 is pointless , as cheapest motherboard is like Rs 10,500- 11,000

Then go for G4560 ( it is only 5-6 % slower than Core i3 6100 ) for Rs 5400 + a good H110 motherboard like Gigabyte H110 DS2 ( avoid H110-S2 or H110-H ) , or Asus H110 D ( if you need HDMI ) for 4000-4500 , if you want good after sale service stick to gigabyte or Asus

H110 requires bios update before you can use this CPU , so make sure to ask seller to do the same before buying and if the board is recently imported it likely should have it , but test it there first otherwise it won't work

otherwise you have some MSI and Asrock B250 boards starting Rs 4500-5000 , that should work out of the box

Last edited:
Top Bottom