Motherboard, processor and PSU

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: My work does not require high computing power.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: my budget for the 3 components mentioned is 18,000. Can extend it to 20,000 at most.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: NO

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: WINDOWS 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I do not need a hard drive. I currently have 2 120 gb SSDs.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. Currently have an Asus 27".

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: All components except MB, processor and PSU.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Before feb 28 2018

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Have built one before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Online or SP road which ever is cheaper.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Need help/ advise. My motherboard and SMPS both ran their due course and are not working now. I think the motherboard stopped working as a result of the SMPS malfunctioning. The dilemma I face is whether to keep my existing processor AMD FX FD8350 (this was released in 2011 I believe, and we built the PC early 2012) or to buy a new processor and and a new mother board. I am not able to find too many motherboards that are compatible with this processor. I am also considering the processors age (6 + years) and if it is really worth while to get an expensive motherboard that is compatible or just go for a new set of MB and processor shelling about 15k +- 2k. What do you think? Would you guys be able to suggest a motherboard and a processor under 15k. I'm also looking to buy an smps. How is corsair 450. I see good reviews about it online.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -20.8K

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 -12600,
Asus Prime A320M-K -4800,
Corsair CX450 -3400.
Total -20,800.

All prices are taken from www.mdcomputers.in

Last edited:
OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
Budget -19K

AMD Ryzen 1200 -7600,
Asus Prime A320M-K -4800,
Adata 4GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -3200,
Corsair CX450 -3400.
Total -19,000.

All prices are taken from www.mdcomputers.in

Thanks for your suggestions. I did not mention that I already have 16 gigs of of RAM so we can exclude one of your suggestion "Adata 4GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -3200" and include the excess INR 3200 ~4000 to ramp up the processor?

(noobish) also does quad core/ octa core make a difference in how efficiently the RAM is used? Ideally i'd like all of my 16 GB to be used or a processor that can at some point use all available RAM if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Thanks for your suggestions. I did not mention that I already have 16 gigs of of RAM so we can exclude one of your suggestion "Adata 4GB 2400Mhz DDR4 -3200" and include the excess INR 3200 ~4000 to ramp up the processor?

(noobish) also does quad core/ octa core make a difference in how efficiently the RAM is used? Ideally i'd like all of my 16 GB to be used or a processor that can at some point use all available RAM if necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Made the necessary changes to the Config. Please check once.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Which PSU were you using till now ?

assuming your 16GB ram is DDR3 from FX 8350 setup, it will not work with new motherboard and processor , they require DDR4

any specific requirement for 16gb ram ? are you running VM or something ?

did you check your mobo+CPU with some other PSU to see if motherboard also has failed ?

and did you try getting your motherboard repair first locally ? if it is just a simple shorted MOSFET or failed capacitor on Motherboard , that can be easily repaired
even if you don't wanna use your existing setup , you can sell the motherboard after you get it repaired if it is repairable without costing much..

Most CPUs last very long

Last edited:
OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
Which PSU were you using till now ?

assuming your 16GB ram is DDR3 from FX 8350 setup, it will not work with new motherboard and processor , they require DDR4

any specific requirement for 16gb ram ? are you running VM or something ?

did you check your mobo+CPU with some other PSU to see if motherboard also has failed ?

and did you try getting your motherboard repair first locally ? if it is just a simple shorted MOSFET or failed capacitor on Motherboard , that can be easily repaired
even if you don't wanna use your existing setup , you can sell the motherboard after you get it repaired if it is repairable without costing much..

CPUs generally last very long

PSU - I was using seasonic ss-760km 760w

I have the image of the RAMs that I currently have.

*gyazo.com/acc46cb9913485fbff89137c185ea4a3 Gyazo - acc46cb9913485fbff89137c185ea4a3.png

There is no real requirement of 16gb of RAM. ITs just that I'd like a processor that can utilise it fully. I do some importing of handhistories (poker related stuff) and use a program called holdem manager. This is probably once a week and it goes on for about 6 hours. This stuff is a bit heavy but its probably less than 5% of my total computer usage time. I dont mind really giving up on that.

Yes, I have checked locally and my mother board has failed and the local guy said something about a chip replacement which seemed expensive and he suggested a new motherboard. I am not able to find a reliable repair services guy to accurately diagnose the issue. Do you have any recommendations in bangalore?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Processor has nothing to do with ram usage.You can install 32gb ram on intel pentium dual core processor system,launch google chrome & open 200 tabs & system will use all 32gb ram.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your ram is ddr3 so you have to buy ddr4 ram if decide to build a ryzen system.Have you seen my reply to your post on other thread? PC Buying Guide and Suggested Configs 2017 Q4

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz

*gyazo.com/acc46cb9913485fbff89137c185ea4a3 Gyazo - acc46cb9913485fbff89137c185ea4a3.png

There is no real requirement of 16gb of RAM. ITs just that I'd like a processor that can utilise it fully. I do some importing of handhistories (poker related stuff) and use a program called holdem manager. This is probably once a week and it goes on for about 6 hours. This stuff is a bit heavy but its probably less than 5% of my total computer usage time. I dont mind really giving up on that.

Yes, I have checked locally and my mother board has failed and the local guy said something about a chip replacement which seemed expensive and he suggested a new motherboard. I am not able to find a reliable repair services guy to accurately diagnose the issue. Do you have any recommendations in bangalore?

Your PSU is very high quality, did you have your PSU looked by technician as well ? if not try this first , if it is something simple that can be repaired , but see he doesn't mess with it too much as it may have effect on ripple .. i guess you were unlucky it didn't last very long..

your current ram won't work , you can sell your current setup .. you will get good price now for those rams , did you check in task manager how much ram is being used when that program is running ?
if you think 8gb is enough , go with single 8gb now and buy another 8gb stick later when ram prices are low next year or so

i don't have much idea of bangalore , i have seen SP road and MG road mentioned many times , so their will likely will be a lot of repair shops there.. but confirm from other members first ,

take your system there when you get some time and get your Mobo / PSU checked from 4-5 shops

if not repairable, build another system with Ryzen Raven ridge processors R3 2200G ( Rs 8000 approx ) or R5 2400G ( Rs 13000 approx ) launch expected by mid-end february , or if you can wait longer then Ryzen 2nd gen launch is in April . not sure if you are gaming or not

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect

Your PSU can be repaired in SP road Bangalore.

8GB is more than enough get a DDR4 RAM Older will not work with the newer processors.

Since you are not going to play any games you should be fine with Intel Pentium G4560 which is actually steal for the price.

Ryzen based CPU doesn't have onboard graphics so you have invest more for GPU so I am skipping Ryzen based config.

Intel Pentium G4560-5,100
ASRock B250M-HDV 4,900

Corsair Vengence 8GB 2400Mhz-6,400

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@op is planning on using windows 7 & performance impact of installing meltdown patch for intel processors is most on win 7/8.1.Before Feb end Ryzen G processors with integrated vega graphics are also expected to come in market so that would be a much better option.In either case going for intel processors currently with anything older than latest win 10 v1709 is a bad idea.

OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
@Minion I am likely making that trip to SP road tomorrow and see if that PSU can be repaired at all.

I have been using a Mac book air for more than a year now after the whole desktop crash and I haven't been up to date with windows and all I known at that time was windows 8 was really bad(at least I did not like the interface at all). After reading @whitestar_999 's response, led me to read about windows 10 and it does certainly seem worth it to make the switch. I still cant wrap my head around meltdown and spectre but it appears that the older versions of windows are likely more affected than the latest ones?

@Minion yes, I wont be playing any high end games (not even sure if thats a term) just the occasional aoe.

Now the options appear to be more now if I could get the PSU repaired and sell me existing setup (thanks @gta5 ) for this.
I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks guys. Learned quite a bit the past few days interacting in this forum.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Win 10 is better because it is least affected by the performance impact of installing meltdown & spectre patches.You can install meltdown & spectre patches on systems running win 7/8.1 too but those systems will slow down more because of how older windows version works.Win 10 system too will slow down after installing meltdown & spectre patches but the slowdown won't be much.If you can wait till feb end,AMD is going to launch Ryzen G processors with integrated graphics(just like intel core i series) which is the best option currently in my opinion.No need for buying a graphics card with Ryzen G processors unlike Ryzen processors that comes without integrated graphics & require purchase of graphics card.

If by any chance Ryzen G processors don't come into Indian markets by Feb end or early March then you can simply get cheapest Ryzen 3 processor & buy a cheap graphics card for around 2k to compensate for absence of integrated graphics.I think spending 2-3k more for getting a more secure system is worth it as AMD processors are not affected by meltdown & less affected by Spectre compared to Intel processors.

OP
S

Siddharth Seran

Broken In
So made that trip to SP road.

Found out a few things.

- PSU may/may not be repairable. No guarantee on longevity after repair. so decided to go for new one. Might repair it and resell.

Corsair CX550 4500/- (inclusive of all taxes)

- Mobo cant be repaired. And here's how things went down after that.

As I already have 2x 8 gb (ddr3) Ram. The shop owner Mr. Sumith suggested that either we go for a new processor + mobo which is ddr3 compatible. ( 12kish INR)

or

we go for a mobo that is compatible with the existing processor (amd fx8350) (about 5k)

went for the latter considering cost and all.

He had a mobo sent from another shop and we started testing it and NO it didnt work! that mobo was practiccally compatible with almost all fx8k series except 8350. He had another one sent and this time the mobo was compatible as per the website and while testing we found out that the processor wasnt working. (yet to confirm this for certain)

Due to time constraints we had to leave. Going to go again today. Gonna have the processor tested again but tbh I am not really optimistic.

Our options currently are to find another processor that is compatible with the mobo that we just opened.

Or to go for an entirely new setup (which is ddr 3 compatible/ and or maybe ddr4?)

thoughts?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
So made that trip to SP road.

Found out a few things.

- PSU may/may not be repairable. No guarantee on longevity after repair. so decided to go for new one. Might repair it and resell.

Corsair CX550 4500/- (inclusive of all taxes)

- Mobo cant be repaired. And here's how things went down after that.

As I already have 2x 8 gb (ddr3) Ram. The shop owner Mr. Sumith suggested that either we go for a new processor + mobo which is ddr3 compatible. ( 12kish INR)

or

we go for a mobo that is compatible with the existing processor (amd fx8350) (about 5k)

went for the latter considering cost and all.

He had a mobo sent from another shop and we started testing it and NO it didnt work! that mobo was practiccally compatible with almost all fx8k series except 8350. He had another one sent and this time the mobo was compatible as per the website and while testing we found out that the processor wasnt working. (yet to confirm this for certain)

Due to time constraints we had to leave. Going to go again today. Gonna have the processor tested again but tbh I am not really optimistic.

Our options currently are to find another processor that is compatible with the mobo that we just opened.

Or to go for an entirely new setup (which is ddr 3 compatible/ and or maybe ddr4?)

thoughts?
If you can bear the cost then go with the new setup including the ddr4 RAM and psu.

If you can't then keep the fx8350, buy a new compatible motherboard and use the existing ram.

But getting the latest ones is always better because AMD fx has reached eol means end of life.

They won't be supported with updated drivers and such.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Top Bottom