Motherboard or power supply problem? Repair or buy new?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Yesterday computer just shut down without warning. Like someone suddenly removed power cord or switched of mains switch.
Happened same thing 2 times consecutive days. And now today computer not starting. No beep sound. No fan spinning. Nothing.
I am unable to find the culprit.
I think it is motherboard. As it is always giving problems for me. Gigabyte B250m d3h.

But I never had issue with power supply. Seasonic S12ii 520 watts.
I have seen very high-high power usage when computer starts.
Then consumption is very low after that. Power Consumption rise up again when started browser or any other apps. But after opening, consumption changes to very low. (Situation before computer was working).

Now, when I press power button, motherboard's in built LED (near ports) quickly turns on and off, 1 time, computer does not start. When I again try to power on, no LEDturns on and off, computer does not power on, nothing happens.

So any suggestions?
Please provide all alternative to b250m d3h with purchase links. (I'm not extending or adding anything to my existing configuration).
I don't want to spend more than 5k-10k for new motherboard.

Not in warranty, so where I can repair this motherboard in Mumbai?
Gigabyte service centre repair out of warranty products?
Or should i try local repairs.

@whitestar_999

Update :
I checked power supply. (green and black wire). It's working, fan is spinning.
I don't have working multimeter with me. So I can't check rail voltages 12v 24v. I will do that tomorrow.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do the usual stuffs like remove, clean and remount ram and ram slot.
Clear Cmos settings by removing and remounting the battery.
Run the system with minimal things attached / without graphic card and try open bench method
Try with a different PSU.

OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Do the usual stuffs like remove, clean and remount ram and ram slot.
Clear Cmos settings by removing and remounting the battery.
Run the system with minimal things attached / without graphic card and try open bench method
Try with a different PSU.

Ram cleaning was not needed. As computer turnd off like power cut, loadshedding. But still did the same.
Cleared CMOS.
Tried running computer with motherboard, CPU, ram and power supply.
Even tried without ram. No continuous beep sound. Nothing.
No beep sound. No fan spinning. Nothing.
Actually I don't have spare PSU. So I will pass this. But I will check PSU voltage using multimeter and will let you know.

Last edited:

billamama

In the zone
Yesterday computer just shut down without warning. Like someone suddenly removed power cord or switched of mains switch.
Happened same thing 2 times consecutive days. And now today computer not starting. No beep sound. No fan spinning. Nothing.
I am unable to find the culprit.
I think it is motherboard. As it is always giving problems for me. Gigabyte B250m d3h.

But I never had issue with power supply. Seasonic S12ii 520 watts.
I have seen very high-high power usage when computer starts.
Then consumption is very low after that. Power Consumption rise up again when started browser or any other apps. But after opening, consumption changes to very low. (Situation before computer was working).

Now, when I press power button, motherboard's in built LED (near ports) quickly turns on and off, 1 time, computer does not start. When I again try to power on, no LEDturns on and off, computer does not power on, nothing happens.

So any suggestions?
Please provide all alternative to b250m d3h with purchase links. (I'm not extending or adding anything to my existing configuration).
I don't want to spend more than 5k-10k for new motherboard.

Not in warranty, so where I can repair this motherboard in Mumbai?
Gigabyte service centre repair out of warranty products?
Or should i try local repairs.

@whitestar_999

Update :
I checked power supply. (green and black wire). It's working, fan is spinning.
I don't have working multimeter with me. So I can't check rail voltages 12v 24v. I will do that tomorrow.
I faced same problem with my System few months back in Summer

GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0)
Phenom II X4 810
32gb DDR3 Ram ( 8gb x 4 )
GT-710 2gb DDR5
2 HDDs
2 SSDs
CORSAIR CV650

I occasionally getting Continuous Beeping, Sudden system Hang.
So I removed & Cleaned GPU / RAM sticks & even the CPU, but the problem never gone permanently, then one day suddenly there was no booting / POST, though the PSU & GPU fans were working, somehow there was utter silence, After Sometime it suddenly started working but the PC operation became extremely slow.
one day after days work ( preparing a YouTube promo video) I shutdown the pc after rendering, when I tried to turn on the PC by evening it again kept absolute silent, Tried some more time and suddenly the Mobo caught fire and there was smoke everywhere. Later I find the fire caught near the North bridge Heat Sink.

Actually Northbridge was getting extremely hot through out which I couldn't find out then, My Wall Power Socket & Wiring was the main culprit, at the same time it just ruined my Printers Power adapter

and one thing more as the system became extremely sluggish I tried to overclock the CPU within this period with AMD Overdrive Utility on Cooler Master Hyper H410R
(RR-H410-20PK-R1) 120mm
and i had corsair vs450 before which I thought may be the culprit so I installed CV650

& right now I'm searching for a am3+ mobo that can house my 4 8gb ram sticks & Phenom CPU :(

Last edited:
OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I faced same problem with my System few months back in Summer

GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0)
Phenom II X4 810
32gb DDR3 Ram ( 8gb x 4 )
GT-710 2gb DDR5
2 HDDs
2 SSDs
CORSAIR CV650

I occasionally getting Continuous Beeping, Sudden system Hang.
So I removed & Cleaned GPU / RAM sticks & even the CPU, but the problem never gone permanently, then one day suddenly there was no booting / POST, though the PSU & GPU fans were working, somehow there was utter silence, After Sometime it suddenly started working but the PC operation became extremely slow.
one day after days work ( preparing a YouTube promo video) I shutdown the pc after rendering, when I tried to turn on the PC by evening it again kept absolute silent, Tried some more time and suddenly the Mobo caught fire and there was smoke everywhere. Later I find the fire caught near the North bridge Heat Sink.

Actually Northbridge was getting extremely hot through out which I couldn't find out then, My Wall Power Socket & Wiring was the main culprit, at the same time it just ruined my Printers Power adapter

and one thing more as the system became extremely sluggish I tried to overclock the CPU within this period with AMD Overdrive Utility on Cooler Master Hyper H410R
(RR-H410-20PK-R1) 120mm
and i had corsair vs450 before which I thought may be the culprit so I installed CV650

& right now I'm searching for a am3+ mobo that can house my 4 8gb ram sticks & Phenom CPU :(

In my case, system not even starting.
Continuous beeps is for the fan failure.
In my case motherboard giving this continuous beeps but all fans were spinning. It was false alarm. I was suggested to update bios by forum friends. But beeps never stopped. I manual turned them off.
I think problem started after purchase of this gigabyte motherboard.
This motherboard damaged zotac 1060 amp edition GPU after 1st year. It was replaced earlier as it is within warranty.
It is ridiculous that laptops lasts long without maintenance (including cleaning) compared to desktop (at least in my house). I changed 3 motherboards (2 Asus, 1 gigabyte) earlier back in 2010, for Intel D820 CPU. And I have old laptop Dell Pentium d530 which is still working without any maintenance.

Last edited:

billamama

In the zone
In my case, system not even starting.
Continuous beeps is for the fan failure.
In my case motherboard giving this continuous beeps but all fans were spinning. It was false alarm. I was suggested to update bios by forum friends. But beeps never stopped. I manual turned them off.
I think problem started after purchase of this gigabyte motherboard.
This motherboard damaged zotac 1060 amp edition GPU after 1st year. It was replaced earlier as it is within warranty.
It is ridiculous that laptops lasts long without maintenance (including cleaning) compared to desktop (at least in my house). I changed 3 motherboards (2 Asus, 1 gigabyte) earlier back in 2010, for Intel D820 CPU. And I have old laptop Dell Pentium d530 which is still working without any maintenance.
I've faced them all but one after another :)
& In my case My previous gpu gt-610 got damaged also :(
In my case I find out later it is a common problem for this Gigabyte Mother board series ( Over Heating north bridge )
if it is possible take the system to service centre check mobo and other components as well
and may be you could call electrician to check your power outlets and lines as well as earthing conditions.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I need some suggestion for buying new motherboard, anyone?
Before buying, confirm if the problem actually is with the motherboard.
If you can't find it in local stores or any popular online store, give this one a call and confirm before placing the order.
*deltapage.com/content/price.php

OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Before buying, confirm if the problem actually is with the motherboard.
If you can't find it in local stores or any popular online store, give this one a call and confirm before placing the order.
*deltapage.com/content/price.php
How do I confirm?
I tried the above methods. One by 9ne component removed and checked computer.
Also checked power supply voltages with new multimeter.
Anything else should i consider.
Authorised service center (lamington road Mumbai) told they don't do repairing of b250m d3h.
Please suggest lga1151 and i5 7500 CPU compatible and available motherboards in India.
Other than gigabyte ga b250m d3h.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Also checked power supply voltages with new multimeter.

Please suggest lga1151 and i5 7500 CPU compatible and available motherboards in India.
Since you're sure about that your PSU is good, I don't think not a lot you can do now to confirm other than taking the whole PC to the nearest computer shop and check.

The link I posted above have H110 and B250 chipset boards. Both are compatible with the CPU you have.

billamama

In the zone
Since you're sure about that your PSU is good, I don't think not a lot you can do now to confirm other than taking the whole PC to the nearest computer shop and check.

The link I posted above have H110 and B250 chipset boards. Both are compatible with the CPU you have
Is there any Am3+ Mobo with 4 x 8gb memory support available in India? if not AMD then any intel board with 4 x 8gb memory support would be good.

Last edited:
OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl

The link I posted above have H110 and B250 chipset boards. Both are compatible with the CPU you have.
Link shows only 3 models.
There are many available in lamington road.
I am confused which one to buy.

OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl

Total 2 capacitor damaged.
Multilayer ceramic capacitor.
*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211126/f19a6d81910d7c5bdd8fc403ca49e434.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211126/44d73f5203c0e240f2c11a9125c44370.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211126/64ff28ea755161a0bc3854a8c53ca084.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211126/62026319ae4e7589c465ffc520eab3a3.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211126/f6962f7df6d0913e608afc4f85272c62.jpg

Last edited:
OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl

Hope this helps
Actually no bios problem as it seems.
I don't have tools + bios recovery feature or any bios adapter or any bios specific USB.
Seems component damaged when physical inspected. Don't know how.

I have seen MSI h110, h170 motherboard have built in LEDs which provides over voltage and other diagnosis info. Like high end ones.

I'm confused, which one to purchase.
H110, H170, B150, B250 and from which brand?

Cabinet - Antec Mid Tower ATX GX200 Blue PCI Window
CPU - Intel Core i5 7500 3.4GHz
Case Fans - Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120mm Air Flow Fan + 2 with cabinet.
GPU - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition (ZT-P10600B-10M)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB (ST1000DM010)
SSD - Support needed for future.
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM SKU CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R 16-16-16-39
+ 8GB RAM in near future = total 16gb max
Monitor - LG 22MP68VQ-P LED Monitor
PSU - Seasonic S12II 520 Bronze (SS-520GB Active PFC F3)
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive

Damaged Motherboard - Gigabyte B250M-D3H Motherboard

What will be warranty for the motherboard? Is it from the date of purchase or the manufacturer date?
Because I will purchase new motherboard but with old chipset. So this 3 years warranty will be applied or not?

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Is there any Am3+ Mobo with 4 x 8gb memory support available in India? if not AMD then any intel board with 4 x 8gb memory support would be good.
I don't know about AM3+, if I come to know of any board new/used I will let you know.
But any Intel, there are plenty available. ;) I hope you are not looking for "any" Intel board. :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Total 2 diodes damaged*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211124/f71d45e9df5c35c2c1682f5018915433.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211124/106532101f2314ca5ecab8907b82c25f.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211124/c53edc14c6d7335f84a271babe7b94fa.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211124/aaf2cfda3b854a28f92ee7146364735e.jpg
:( That's a bummer.
If there are any features you need, look for them among the choice you have. You don't have a lot of choice, do you? Then decide.

billamama

In the zone
I don't know about AM3+, if I come to know of any board new/used I will let you know.
But any Intel, there are plenty available. ;) I hope you are not looking for "any" Intel board

But any Intel, there are plenty available. ;) I hope you are not looking for "any" Intel board. :)
If not AM3+, atleast A Mother-Board that supports 4 x 8 gb DDR3 memory.

OP
TigerKing

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
:( That's a bummer.
If there are any features you need, look for them among the choice you have. You don't have a lot of choice, do you? Then decide.
Yes it's sad that I'm unable to get motherboard working for more than 3 years.
I will visit market and let you all know available motherboards and prices. And after that help me decide.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If not AM3+, atleast A Mother-Board that supports 4 x 8 gb DDR3 memory.
Hey! You can't get a motherboard just because it supports 4 x 8GB DDR3 and pair it with your other components. You should get a compatible motherboard. What's your system configuration, esp. the processor you have? Without knowing that, can't suggest "a" board for you.

Top Bottom