Monitor shutting off automatically

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Hi All,

I am facing a weird problem of monitor going off automatically. The monitor shuts off (as if I have pressed the monitor off button) randomly while I am using the pc and I will have to press the power button of the monitor to switch it on again.
There is no sound or any freeze experienced in the process and everything looks very normal. its just that I have to switch back the monitor on. :S :(

My rig -
PSU:: Corsair Tx650 (6 months old)
CPU:: i5 2500K/2 x 4GB vengeance Ram/ Biostar TZ68+ board (6 months old)
GPU:: Sapphire 7870 2GB (5 days old)
UPS:: 1KV APC (1 year old)
HDD:: WD green 1 TB (1 year old), Seagate Barracuda 500GB (2 years old)
SDD:: Corsair Force 3 120 GB (5 days old)
Monitor :: Samsung P2350 (2.5 years old)

I thought the issue was with my new GPU and so gave it for RMA already :( and when I returned back home and switched the pc on I faced the issue again.

Now what might be the culprit -

1) Motherboard ?? (but there is no freeze or any other symptoms)
2) Ram ?? (can this cause monitor switch off)
3) GPU?? (No way - ruled out)
4) UPS to monitor power chord ?? (can be - but I checked by pulling off the power chord and placing it back while the sys is on. when I plugged the power back to the monitor, it auto powered on without me switching on the monitor using power on. So this may not be the issue)
5) Any driver related issues ??
6) Power management settings?? (changed it to never sleep/turnoff)
7) Windows 8 update issues?? :)S)
8) Any others??

Please suggest me something.. I am in desperate need of ideas.

note:: While I typed all these my monitor never switched off.
Regards,
Rakesh

update 1:: bump.. the monitor went off randomly four times after my post so far.. Is it the PSU??? :( any ideas?? some suggestions??? please guys

update 2:: does wrong bios settings cause such issues?? I have defaulted it all again now.. will update if I find the issue again

Last edited:

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
It looks the problem is in the monitor itself, considering the fix is that you have to power on the monitor.
How old is the monitor, and which model is it ?

OP
R

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
the monitor is 2.5 years old and its Samsung P2350 LCD.

But apart from this there isn't anything that the monitor is throwing at me.. no a single symptom. I am thinking it can be the power chord to the monitor.. or the plug on my ups?

Update:: looks like the monitor issue as u suggested. I was browsing for solutions in similar lines. Thanks for the heads up.

Lets see if monitor is the culprit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom