Monitor gone kaput.. want to transfer data from old hard disk.. any workaround ?

rish1

Cyborg Agent
hello guys i have an old computer that has IDE hard disk which contains some data..
it has nvidia 5200 fx which supports TV out as well...

now my monitor is not working it doesn't display any picture ( turns on , goes green when input is attached )

i don't want to spend any money on that pc..

the old hard disk has some data which i want to copy to portable hard disk

things i have
- laptop
- portable hard disk

i tried yesterday attaching my pc with tv out cable which came with my card.. that goes into av port of tv..

now when i turn on the pc a white flash occurs on tv ( i googled it i think some changes have to be done to settings first)
but to change settings i need display .. is there any solution to this problem besides getting any other monitor ?
i can take the hard disk to computer repairing shop but they are very far from my area.. only cyber cafes available those don't have ide port .. ?
is there any workaround available ? just want to transfer the data ...otherwise going to computer repair shop is only option

thanks

> Try running your C without a graphic card and attaching monitor cable to motherboard's port.

> You can use a IDE to SATA converter to connect your HDD in some other desktop.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
> Try running your C without a graphic card and attaching monitor cable to motherboard's port.

> You can use a IDE to SATA converter to connect your HDD in some other desktop.

1. what difference will that make ? monitor is faulty i checked it by connecting monitor to lappy

2. that's the thing even for that i will have to go very far to a computer market .. these cables are not available at cyber cafes , its better to take hard disk to the market then i can get the data copied without buying that cable as i won't be needing it afterwords but thats the last option..

i was hoping for a solution like connecting hard disk to laptop somehow ide to usb converter or
somehow using a usb male to usb male and plugging in my cpu with laptop lol.. if thats possible

what happens if i plug one usb in computer and other in laptop .. can laptop recognise it as external storage device ?

ain't there no way to get tv out working ? without changing settings ?

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
You can do something similar only if your computer and laptop were both from Apple using a firewire cable (I guess). In short, you cannot connect two PCs using USB.

To connect your TV, try hitting F8 while booting up, you may get the bootscreen on you TV (keep your monitor disconnected). Select OS is XP select VGA option (For Vista/7, select 640x480 mode). But I am not sure you will get the boot screen, do try your luck :)

You could connect your Hard Disk to any of your friend's PC and backup there (or in a cyber cafe also).

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
You can do something similar only if your computer and laptop were both from Apple using a firewire cable (I guess). In short, you cannot connect two PCs using USB.

To connect your TV, try hitting F8 while booting up, you may get the bootscreen on you TV (keep your monitor disconnected). Select OS is XP select VGA option (For Vista/7, select 640x480 mode). But I am not sure you will get the boot screen, do try your luck :)

You could connect your Hard Disk to any of your friend's PC and backup there (or in a cyber cafe also).
i tried that ...
the thing is i think my windows xp have got corrupted ( .. the pc is restarting when i press ctrl+alt+delete..

that is why it is not showing that safe mode vga options..

now i still have xp and vista cd.. i was wondering if i could boot it from cd then i can install windows xp .. as it will be in 640x480 resolution it will show up on tv..

but i have to change the boot first device from bios i guess how to do that without a display ?

friends pc does not support ide .. i'll have to get the converter which i am keeping as the last option..

so any help how to boot from cd without a display ?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't waste your money on sata/ide converters as they usually don't work.it is better to get usb enclosure which will work.

OP
R

rish1

Cyborg Agent
don't waste your money on sata/ide converters as they usually don't work.it is better to get usb enclosure which will work.

what is that usb enclosure hearing it for the first time, any online link ? .. i also heard about the ide sata converter not good from the computer shop wala when i bought the ide hard disk..

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Here is a link for your reference: PORTABLE EXTERNAL 3.5 INCH USB TO IDE HDD HARD DISK DRIVE CASE CASING ENCLOSURE | eBay

You can get one locally.

Top Bottom