Mom... I magnetized the screen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan

In the zone
Well... this time I have messed up real big and am in for some real trouble. I was playing with a magnet and tried to see it's effect on cathode ray particles. Now what I did was, i tried to rub the magnet across my T.V's screen and saw some cool observations. So much for the fun part of it, the problem is that a big line has become permanently maganetized. It shows a fuzzy thick slash (about 1/5th the thickness of the screen) which can easily be demarcated from the rest of the picture as it shows a different color tone...

please help me out.. i'm really stuck up here... HELP b4 my parents discover it out... thanks in advance.

Venom

Journeyman
On monitors there is a Degauss utility, but I dont know what the equivalent is for TV. I remember doing this too but after it left a big blotch of purple/etc on the screen, in about a week it faded away. I dont own a tv anymore though. :p

Sykora

I see right through you.
For weaker magnetizations, just keep the magnet away and it will go away slowly. If you've done something really bad though, I have absolutely no idea. However, I do strongly recommend that you _do not_ rub again.

iinfi

mekalodu
wat u need to do is call a good TV mechanic fomr the TV company. he will take the TV to his workshop and using a coil will try to reverse the effect of the magnet on the TV screen. it may not bee 100% effective but how effective it is lies on the technician's ability to degauss it using the coil.
inefficient technicians mite also worsen the situation. so try to get one from the company and if the TV is within the warranty period jus shout @ the company's customer care and tell them the TV is dead ...
they will send a person immediately to your house.

i did jus that when i screwed my UPS. i called the company n shouted "its gone dead... there is no power output ... its jus gone dead ...."

and they sent a replacement within 24 hours :)
gud luck dude

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I used to play with my OLD Jolly Color TV using a magnet, coz the color of my TV got damaged. Touching magnet on the TV screen here & there (with care) can adjust the color. :D

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Yes,,,,,I had also done the same thing....but I kept everyone away from the TV for about 1 night and in the morning everything went fine.....All u have to do is keep them away from the TV for some time

Pathik

Google Bot
hey nothin is goin to work....
either call a technician or act dumb that u donno wat happened......
or try using a magnet again :)) :p

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
1. can't act dumb coz i was doing the experiment right in front of them.
2. it is showing some signs of fading away as the line has faded away little.
3. i am NOT rubbing it again at any cost.
4. There is no 'degaussing' option on my TV. (I don't think there is one on other TVs as well)
5. My parents have come to know of it and nothing much has happened as my dad said that it will demagnetize itself pretty soon if left alone.

Everything's fine till now... thanks a lot guys.. will report as soon as everythning gets fine.

BTW.. the effect is damn kool ;) and next time i'll do on my computer monitor ;)

Whew... it's finally allright... no patches seen... everything's fine as of now... thanks 2 everyone out there ;)

Last edited:

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
rohan said:
next time i'll do on my computer monitor ;)

And I hope that your monitor will damaged beyond repair. I think you still haven't learnt your lesson. All the best for that though ;)

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
nope.. i did it with my computer monitor, this time with a bar magnet.. the images are way too cool... but the deformed area still shows... unfortunately :(... hopefully it'll get corrected soon ;)

d

Journeyman
hahaha.... no degaussing option for tv screens y'all.. its only the default deguassing that takes place when you power it on.. like on the monitor.. automatically degausses when you power it on.

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
take a look at tvs mannual if any solution is given, in my tvs mannual they told to

1. start the tv
2. swicth it off from main connection (not from the tvs button)
3. start after 1/2-1 hr. the colour will be normal.

i have tried this on my tv it worked
try it

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You guys do what you shouldn't be doing!!
@Rohan , this is not Fun & Games stuff, be serious otherwise your CRT monitor will
be permanently damaged!!
Better call a Service engineer & tell him what you did & have it fixed.

eddie

El mooooo
Dude show some respect for your parents' hard work. That stuff you are playing with (without knowing repercussions of) comes from hard earned money and that hard work was done by your parents. If you want to do such silly experiments then go out and earn...then buy stuff and do stupid things with it.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
That stuff you are playing with (without knowing repercussions of) comes from hard earned money and that hard work was done by your parents. If you want to do such silly experiments then go out and earn...then buy stuff and do stupid things with it.
'experiment?? You call bringing a magnet near a monitor an experiment?? with serious 'repurcussions'???
eddie were you born with this knowledge that bringing a magnet near a monitor could harm it??
Sorry but you are a 0 IQ person with zero imagination , and you are gonna have a very sad and boring life.

There is another solution btw using a drill and more magnets: *woil.ws/fixmonitor/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom