Modified GPU Driver for Laptops

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
I am currently using Sony Vaio CB45 laptop for nearly 1 year. But the weired thing I am facing now is , it is using the old ATI 8.85 driver(latest Driver version is 13.2 beta ). Sony(I think some other brands also) doesn't provide update for Graphics Driver, and they have some kind of agreement with AMD, so that when we try to install driver from AMD site, it ask you to use only sony provided drivers or wait till sony release a new driver(Thats never gonna happen). This way they make users to buy new products. Anyway that is not my concern.

So from one of my friend I came to know a website, which provide modified graphics driver for AMD Laptops.

Are any of you using any kind of modified driver. Please share the info.

Is there any risk of using this kind of modified graphics driver? Any effect on Warrenty or impact on GPU crashes.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sony and some other brands provide their own graphics driver based on the official driver. Have you checked the website for downloads?

OP
A

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Yes. Sony never release graphics driver update, rather they keep releasing updates for the rubbish products like VAIO Gate,PMB dot dot.
In the download section the driver version is 8.85, and my Graphics card is 6630 , I think this card is eligible for update to 13.2.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Driver version and Catalyst version are different. Driver version 8.85 means Catalyst 11.05. Anyway, you may look for modified drivers but usability is not guaranteed.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try Leshcat's AMD drivers. I'm using this on my HP laptop.

Leshcat - Catalyst 13.1

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
See 1st post. OP has already searched Leshcat. He wants other sites. ;)

OP
A

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Hmm.. I want the most popular one, whose driver will be stable. I dont want to end up formatting Windows.
Will try leshcat. I want to update my graphics driver after reading this.

Catalyst 13.2 beta brings 15% boost in Crysis 3, latency improvements - TechSpot

I tried Crysis 3 Beta, but it was not playable in my laptop.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt it will be very playable even after the update, but no harm trying.

Top Bottom