modem hangup??? in RHEL 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusvidania

Right off the assembly line
i got the following error messages while trying to connect to the net using "rp-pppoe" type connection for BSNL broadband.

[root@localhost /]# adsl-connect
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
CHAP authentication succeeded: Authentication success,Welcome!
local IP address 59.94.179.136
remote IP address 59.94.176.1
primary DNS address 218.248.255.193
secondary DNS address 218.248.255.145
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.
Connect time 0.1 minutes.
Sent 54 bytes, received 54 bytes.
Connect time 0.1 minutes.
Sent 54 bytes, received 54 bytes.
Using interface ppp0
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.
Using interface ppp0
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.
Using interface ppp0
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.

help me to fix this problem. i am using RHEL 4. i don't understand y it got hangup.

martian

Broken In
Since you're getting Authenticated before getting hung-up, I think there probably is a problem with your Modem. Try with 'minicom' to see if you your Modem is actually working. Minicom is something like PROCOMM for Linux. It should be present on your system if you chose to install it during your RedHat initial setup.

Using minicom to connect to your ISP. If your ISP doesn't allow a manual logon then you might be in trouble. In that case Start minicom, dial your ISP and Log in. After your ISP starts PPP, quit minicom with ALT-Q (or whatever the sequence is to 'quit without reset') and start pppd:

pppd -d -detach /dev/modem 115200 &

PPP will be running. Try pinging your ISP or another known IP address. That will test everything is OK. If you can get PPP running this way, then you have a scripting problem. If PPP doesn't work, you have a PPP configuration problem.

Source: *linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie4_5_3.htm

OP
D

Dusvidania

Right off the assembly line
thnx buddy. let me do all this stuff in linux. modem has no problem as it is working fine in windows and in linux too when using a IP based broadband of airtel, but with bsnl's username and passwd based broadband it is showing these probs.

thnx dear

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Maybe there is authentication problem with the BSNL Server. Contact BSNL
customer support and tell them your problem. Are you able to connect to the Net
from Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom