[Modding] Scratch Build: Project Lambda

OP
xanan

xanan

Broken In
Okay. How much are you willing to shell out on this? I'd say use aluminium, but you'd need atleast 3mm thick sheets. If you go the acrylic way, then you'll be spending close to 4-5k on laser cutting, and say about 1200-1500 more on material. Work out a budget for yourself, make a design, calculate the amount of material required. And most importantly, how you will join everything together vis a vis, how the HDDs will be screwed in, how you'll fix the PSU..and any problems. It is important to figure out the problems first, and then begin working as later on they might mess up the design. Pay close attention to how cables will be routed, and incorporate measures to stealth them if possible.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I can spend 4k every month. At max it should be ready by end of this year.

Shall I work out on a design. How do I do that ? Need inputs and suggestions.

D

Deleted member 26636

I can spend 4k every month. At max it should be ready by end of this year.

Shall I work out on a design. How do I do that ? Need inputs and suggestions.

you could use Google sketchup... its pretty good for fast 3d concepts..but first you should at least have a few 2d drawings/sketches of your concept...look at others mods for inspiration & reference, then come up with something of your own..

OP
xanan

xanan

Broken In
keep saving cash...don't attempt to start buying anything before you have 8 k...you probably don't need so much, but its always better to have some cash in reserve for emergencies.

Do you have any tools with you, or can you get them if required?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Okay, I will sve upto 8k.

I have a power drill, jigsaw (circular blade to cut marbles) and what else do I require ?

I will be designing the case in Google sketchup as pointed by himadri_sm.

OP
xanan

xanan

Broken In
You'll require a set of screwdrivers, Soldering iron, solder wire, flux. The jigsaw you have has a very high tolerance- as in, it takes out a considerable amount of material while cutting, so whatever you design, make sure you take that into account. You are set otherwise.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
You'll require a set of screwdrivers, Soldering iron, solder wire, flux. The jigsaw you have has a very high tolerance- as in, it takes out a considerable amount of material while cutting, so whatever you design, make sure you take that into account. You are set otherwise.
I will post the pic of tools soon. If necessary, I will buy the required tools.
I already have screwdrivers, soldering iron, solder wire and flux.

OP
xanan

xanan

Broken In
then you are pretty much set...just design something and post here. If you need help, i'd be glad to offer whatever help i can.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Hey, thats great. I will need your help for sure. Let me try first and put it to scrutiny and practicability tests.

OP
xanan

xanan

Broken In
This is a completed worklog. The mod was completed months ago, and has in fact been dismantled to make way for my next mod, which has already started.

OP
xanan

xanan

Broken In
Dunno about Faun's mod- To be honest, I haven't been online in quite a while as I have been too busy with work.

Top Bottom