Mobo died, need recommendations for a replacement

rahulbasu

Broken In
My computer died yesterday. It was 3.5 years old. It had an Intel i5-2500k processor, Intel DH67CL mobo, & dual G-Skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT RAM (2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz).

I haven't checked it, but I'm guessing the mobo is fried. The keyboard was acting erratic the previous day, and now there's no input to the monitor or keyboard.

Please recommend a substitute processor / mobo combo, ideally that would use the RAM.

Thanks
Rahul

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Do you want to upgrade to Haswell or Skylake?

I think your present CPU Intel i5-2500k has still more juice in it if you want to use it.

Choose wisely...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Intel i5-2500k processor is still a pretty good processor. My system has it OCed at 4.5GHz.

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
Thanks Sunil / Faun.

I'm happy with the performance of the computer. The occasional enormous file works fine. I've got an SSD for all the programs and 8 GB RAM.

Do you recommend I simply get the same mobo again or a different one? The processor uses a LGA1155 socket.

- - - Updated - - -

Just searched on snapdeal/amazon/flipkart, seems like a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H would do the job. One 6 GBps SATA for the SSD, a few USB 3.0 ports.

Would you recommend any other ?

Thanks
Rahul

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=133811]rahulbasu[/MENTION],

As a techie, if you are planning for future proofing, then you must go for the latest ATX MOBO. The MOBO should have in built function of WiFi and audio feature with that, there is no need to add any other peripheral devices like WiFi and sound card, and it’s support the SLI and CrossFire technology that means in the future, you can add-on a second GPU card for performance, instead of buying a new MOBO or replacing a totally new GPU.

Just a suggestion, H97 chipset MOBO is intended for normal consumer use and Z97 chipset MOBO is intended for overclockers/enthusiasts. If you may plan on Overclocking your CPU in the future, you need a Z/X-series MOBO’S in the majority of cases.

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
Thanks.

H97 / Z97 seems to have a different socket, so will need to change the processor as well. I'd prefer to use my i5 a bit longer though.

My use is pretty basic. Its a ethernet wired desktop, so no need for wifi. I'm not into gaming. The heaviest load is with a 1.4GB photoshop file, and various large database sets with Qlik Sense. This config has worked well for me, I don't mind extending its life, and 3 years from now going for the next generation.

Rahul

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I have a Z68 V Pro motherboard. Overclocks well.

Get a motherboard which will help you overclock and a separate air cooler to keep the temp down. That will keep you system up with the coming years.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Its not easy to get any other Z/H77 Motherboards as they are EOL.

So its better to go with this : Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H -5850.

Link:Amazon.in: Buy Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboard Online at Low Prices in India | Gigabyte Reviews & Ratings

DK_WD

WD Official
Thanks.

H97 / Z97 seems to have a different socket, so will need to change the processor as well. I'd prefer to use my i5 a bit longer though.

My use is pretty basic. Its a ethernet wired desktop, so no need for wifi. I'm not into gaming. The heaviest load is with a 1.4GB photoshop file, and various large database sets with Qlik Sense. This config has worked well for me, I don't mind extending its life, and 3 years from now going for the next generation.

Rahul

Hi rahul,

If you have only basic requirement for system then just go with your last selected MOBO model.

Top Bottom