mobile phone for internet usage..

spm

Journeyman
My father needs a moblie phone mainly for internet usage (not social networking but usual browsing). He would like a large screen and i think a touchscreen would be apt.(suggestions please)
Please suggest estalished brands only as he would buy from them only.
the camera is not important and he does not send much SMSs. Good battery back up and a good display with nice call clarity would be preferred. Please suggest a phone. The budget is around 8-10k.thanks in advance for the suggestions.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
I think typing on touchscreen phones is bit irritating. Atleast in the beginning. :)
And a big screen is necessary for better web experience.
So i think you shud go with SAMSUNG WAVE 533
Its comes with: big 3.2 inches responsive capacitive screen, a slider qwerty keypad and wifi
Sadly it dont hav 3G :-(

Gollum

Collector
Get samsung galaxy 5. Very good for internet and other functionality.

The default android browser is the best when it comes to mobile devices.
Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5 - Full phone specifications
the capacitive touch screen is the best when it comes to touch screen phones.
At a price of 8.5k this phone is better than any nokia phone of the same price category.

Last edited:
OP
S

spm

Journeyman
is the samsung galaxy 5 3G enabled.
and whats the opinion about Blackberry 8800, HTC Smart, HTC Touch Viva and nokia C3. Also is are there any options from sony ericsson in this range.
The thing i don't know if a touch screen or qwerty would be better for my father. So please include qwerty phones as well as touchscreens.
thanku for the help guys.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Galaxy 3 do hav a good android browser.
But wave533 too hav famous DOLPHIN web browser.
Its a qwerty keypad plus 3.2 inches screen vs 2.8 inches screen :)
And price is not bad either just 9k...

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
so whats ur opinion on blackberry 8800, HTC Smart , HTC Touch Viva..
do sony ericsson have any worthy offering in this range..
i also want to know about the xperia x10 mini and x8.
are they worthy of the xtra money.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
I cannot comment on blackberry 8800, HTC
Smart , HTC Touch Viva, but they sure are elderly phones...
As your main concern is surfing web only, x10 mini and x8 price doesnt justify well.

Another phone from SE is ZYLO.
Its basically a music oriented slider phone with 3.2MP camera and good music output(both in loadspeakers and earphones).
But to fullfill browsing expirience it has- good 2.6" screen, 3G 7.2Mbps and yeah physical buttons to type... at 8k...
Take a look at this phone too...

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
so whats ur opinion on blackberry 8800, HTC Smart , HTC Touch Viva..
do sony ericsson have any worthy offering in this range..
i also want to know about the xperia x10 mini and x8.
are they worthy of the xtra money.

x10 mini display is too tiny and the phone too feels tiny. X8 is one of the few good phones inside 15k. The UI is much better than that on competing androids and the standard resolution make the UI look good (unlike galaxy 3, 5, wildfire etc that has shoddy resolution resulting in shoddy looking UI).

If you can pay up to 15k, I don't think there is any phone that can beat Nokia C6-01 in features and functionality. If you can try, look for the first Samsung Wave.

allenmobis

Broken In
hi spm

It sounds you need a cell phone having touchpad and good battery time. Nokia cell phones are greatly reliable and have long battery time. Moreover, Nokia phones have good resale value and user friendly apps. I am pretty sure, your father could easily operate and use it for internet purpose. Nevertheless, Smartphones are comparatively expensive and not easy to operate. I'd suggest Nokia 5530 express music with 3 inches display.

Let me know if you need more info''

Best of luck!

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
actually i saw in univercell an offer for HTC smart for 7k.
and its 3G and my father liked it very much. and by the user experience of it i think he would be able to use it comfortably. so whats ur opinion of the phone.is it good. i think its a bargain for 7k.(ur valuable opinions please).He also liked the samsung galaxy 5 but he does not like the samsung brand much..

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I never liked HTC Smart. It's severely limited phone in terms of features. Also, Brew OS is not among the best. If you have wifi at your house, why not get something like Nokia C3 or Samsung Wave 533 or SE Hazel

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
we considered all those phone and the wave 533 was great and its only downside was that it was not 3g enabled. the c3 had small screen and the hazel have only alphanumeric keypad.
anyway thanku for ur comments

TechGuru

Broken In
Well I am not sure but ill suggest you to with Nokia 5230 or Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic Phone they are really good with large screens.

allenmobis

Broken In
the c3 had small screen and the hazel have only alphanumeric keypad.

Nokia 5800 express music is also a fine mobile with extra functionality. In your requirements, you don't need to spend much more than that.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom