Mobile for dad

monkey

Padawan
I am looking for mobile as my dad's birthday gift and so need your help...

1. Budget: 25k
2. Display type and size: Size - preferred around 5". Type: not particular
3. Dual sim: Not needed
4. Preferred choice of brand: Samsung, Sony, Asus, LG, HTC
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera): Flash and front camera is a must.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc): Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready): 3G is required. 4G will be welcome.
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc): Multimedia and internet is gonna be used maximum. Games will be minimum.
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration: Samsung A5, HTC Desire 826, Asus ZenPhone 2 (will wait for its release)
10. Any other info that you want to share: I was bent towards Sony but I am not sure about Sony's mobile division future and so little reluctant. I am not sure about Asus's and HTC after-sale-service. Samsung has service center bang in front of my house but Samsung's quality is doubtful. Also I will not be going for Chinese brands (Xiomi, oneplus etc..).

I will be purchasing the phone by 23rd April so please help me out.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
You can start with these: Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

You can refine it further to suit your requirement.

If you want a good design Samsung phone, get Alpha.... Just check it out. It has an average battery life, which should be sufficient for your dad and should last 1- 1.5 days(considering he doesn't browse internet via data pack for 2-3hr daily)

Other options: Huawei Honor 6 & LG G2(32GB version available @ flipkart for 23k)
G2 is a great device, even though it has 5.2" display but it has slim bezels.....
Huawei Honor 6 H60-L04 vs LG G2 D802T vs Lenovo Vibe X2 4G vs Samsung Galaxy Alpha: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

Size comparison
Visual Phone Size Comparison

Also if someone says that Touchwiz lags, don't worry Lollipop will make it much faster (it isn't that laggy in 4.4 too)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Just saw that both these phones have 5.5" screen which is a bit larger than what my dad will be comfortable with. Any suggestions for 5" screen?

since its for your dad,check out Lumia 640 and Lumia 730 as well
really vfm and well made phones and windows phone is easier for older people to operate as well

if you are insistent on android,theres also the Samsung Galaxy S4 but im not a big fan of samsung,their after sales is poor,the display and camera is oversaturated and touchwiz will bog down after a while

id still say get the Desire 820 or one of the lumias even if display is a bit larger

- - - Updated - - -

Asus Zenfone 2 is also pretty good
after sales is decent as well,wayy better than samsung and sony for sure

- - - Updated - - -

Also if someone says that Touchwiz lags, don't worry Lollipop will make it much faster (it isn't that laggy in 4.4 too)

This I wouldnt agree with
my aunt bought an S4 even though I warned her,she naturally assumed an older flagship for 17k sounded great but touchwiz on 4.4 lags like crazy after 2 weeks
I will however say this,Touchwiz on Lollipop is faster than stock android 5.1 since you can disable the forced encryption on touchwiz but not on stock android 5.1
either way,it would be wrong to say touchwiz or lollipop doesnt lag

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
You can start with these: Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

You can refine it further to suit your requirement.

I will only get the list of phones based on specification but not on user experience. I have done it but it will take me days before I can decide using the list.

Samsung A5
Looks nice
Feels good
Light weight slim phone

I have seen it and found it to be good. I have shortlisted it.

Galaxy S5.

Done.

I have considered it too but most reviews are negative. Maybe it was because of starting asking price of 40k. Price of 26k is more justified I think.

If you want a good design Samsung phone, get Alpha.... Just check it out. It has an average battery life, which should be sufficient for your dad and should last 1- 1.5 days(considering he doesn't browse internet via data pack for 2-3hr daily)

Other options: Huawei Honor 6 & LG G2(32GB version available @ flipkart for 23k)
G2 is a great device, even though it has 5.2" display but it has slim bezels.....
Huawei Honor 6 H60-L04 vs LG G2 D802T vs Lenovo Vibe X2 4G vs Samsung Galaxy Alpha: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

Size comparison
Visual Phone Size Comparison

Galaxy Alpha seems expensive for what it offers. LG G2 is good but is now 2 generation old (with G4's launch). I don't know what support will receive in the near future. Also G2 might face further rate cut with launch of G4 later this month so buying it now may not be the best option. Also I am not opting for the Chinese brands

Zenphone 2 will be released in 5 inch version too.

Where did you get this info from? Asus is advertising it as 5.5" on Flipkart.

since its for your dad,check out Lumia 640 and Lumia 730 as well
really vfm and well made phones and windows phone is easier for older people to operate as well

if you are insistent on android,theres also the Samsung Galaxy S4 but im not a big fan of samsung,their after sales is poor,the display and camera is oversaturated and touchwiz will bog down after a while

id still say get the Desire 820 or one of the lumias even if display is a bit larger

I don't think my dad will appreciate learning new OS at the age of 70. Android is a safer bet as he has been using it for the past 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Asus Zenfone 2 is also pretty good
after sales is decent as well,wayy better than samsung and sony for sure

- - - Updated - - -

This I wouldnt agree with
my aunt bought an S4 even though I warned her,she naturally assumed an older flagship for 17k sounded great but touchwiz on 4.4 lags like crazy after 2 weeks
I will however say this,Touchwiz on Lollipop is faster than stock android 5.1 since you can disable the forced encryption on touchwiz but not on stock android 5.1
either way,it would be wrong to say touchwiz or lollipop doesnt lag[/QUOTE]

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I have considered it too but most reviews are negative. Maybe it was because of starting asking price of 40k. Price of 26k is more justified I think.
The only places where you should read reviews from are Anand and GSMArena, period. If you have read reviews on Flipkart then read them if you want to see a movie, a dumb movie, but don't have one. Those are renowned and establish trolls, most of them don't even have the phone, they just see the specification and have absolutely no life, so let's go Flipkart and write whatever the moods tell. A lot of them are existing here, in this very forum, those who often in Xiaomi and OneMinus One topics :lol:

Anyway, for 30k S5 is a worthy buy, even at 35k it is a worthy buy, and that's that. If someone's IQ is below 40 then he/she definitely wouldn't understand that launching price will always be higher, for anything.

I however am not a fan of S series, I chose Note 3 over S5, because of 1 gig extra RAM and a much larger screen and the S-Pen obviously.

In any case, at that budget S5 should be your pick. If not, then try to give a look at HTC E8.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Just saw the specs of Zenfone 2 which looks good. But providing all this at Rs. 15k is baffling. There must have been compromises made at many places. Is it worth waiting till May 4 for its delivery date?

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed - faster Z3580 processor + 4GB RAM version is not yet launched. What a waste!!!!

REDHOTIRON2004

Journeyman
Just saw the specs of Zenfone 2 which looks good. But providing all this at Rs. 15k is baffling. There must have been compromises made at many places. Is it worth waiting till May 4 for its delivery date?

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed - faster Z3580 processor + 4GB RAM version is not yet launched. What a waste!!!!

Gifting your dad a zenphone??
Think again buddy.
Give him a brand like Samsung, Sony or iPhone. Don't even consider anything else. Teenagers really don't mind much as they get good specs for lower price. But, for people like dad, mom etc. Give them a brand. Remember that at there age money is not a issue. Also, there own friends and relatives too would be well off and must be flaunting pricey phones.

At the purpose and price range you mentioned, you must stay clear of zenphone, lava micromax etc. Even if you get lesser specs from a brand mobile. Choose that for your dad.

As for the choicesTake a look at Sony z3 and z1 compact too. Else look at Samsung choices as mentioned before. If you can increase your budget than iPhone 5s too is a good choice.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Gifting your dad a zenphone??
Think again buddy.
Give him a brand like Samsung, Sony or iPhone. Don't even consider anything else. Teenagers really don't mind much as they get good specs for lower price. But, for people like dad, mom etc. Give them a brand. Remember that at there age money is not a issue. Also, there own friends and relatives too would be well off and must be flaunting pricey phones.

At the purpose and price range you mentioned, you must stay clear of zenphone, lava micromax etc. Even if you get lesser specs from a brand mobile. Choose that for your dad.

As for the choicesTake a look at Sony z3 and z1 compact too. Else look at Samsung choices as mentioned before. If you can increase your budget than iPhone 5s too is a good choice.

I would rather get him to a store and let him try my best selection.

My father liked my iP5 a lot.
But considering his requirement of Google Earth like software I chose Moto X for him.

Before that I took him to store and showed him z1 c , s4, etc.

After 1 and half year he is quite elated with the purchase.

It's not important how society thinks of your phone: It's just that how comfortable you are with it.

His friend's circle has iphones,etc.
But his Moto is way too superior because I have basically automated it.

Arrive at home and Switch off Data,Switch on Wifi

In a business meeting Moto Assist silences it.

While on bike handsfree is automatically activated

Battery less than 30% allow only calls.

Came to see a plot, get a aerial view from Google Earth.

Smartphones is to make our life simple.
I just did that for him.

I would rather get him to a store and let him try my best selection.

My father liked my iP5 a lot.
But considering his requirement of Google Earth like software I chose Moto X for him.

Before that I took him to store and showed him z1 c , s4, etc.

After 1 and half year he is quite elated with the purchase.

It's not important how society thinks of your phone: It's just that how comfortable you are with it.

His friend's circle has iphones,etc.
But his Moto is way too superior because I have basically automated it.

Arrive at home and Switch off Data,Switch on Wifi

In a business meeting Moto Assist silences it.

While on bike handsfree is automatically activated

Battery less than 30% allow only calls.

Came to see a plot, get a aerial view from Google Earth.

Smartphones is to make our life simple.
I just did that for him.

I agree with you...
iPhones just have a good design & a high price tag...... They are just good for flaunting..... Get an android, get better usability & also save some money

Good buy BTW

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I agree with you...
iPhones just have a good design & a high price tag...... They are just good for flaunting..... Get an android, get better usability & also save some money

Good buy BTW

Well, I have already said that I am going for Android. iPhone was never my consideration.

Anyways, there were some suggestions about going for Zenfone 2 while later discussions are suggesting against it. So I think HTC desire 826 and Samsung Galaxy Alpha/A5 are shortlisted. But still I have decided to wait for delivery of Zenfone 2 to begin. A phone with 5.5" screen in regular 5" screen body looks tempting. Other specs are good too so I think it should be worth a wait.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I agree with you...

Good buy BTW

arguable
My dad has a Nexus 5 as well as his 2nd phone
most unreliable phone ever!! he has faced soo many bugs with each update
once it got bricked,once it couldnt reload contacts and i was forced to reflash it
ive had the same issues on my own Nexus 5 and 7 as well

android is unreliable,i have a Z10,Lumia 720 and 820 as well and none of them have faced soo many issues as the 2 Nexus 5's in my house
iphones also are much more reliable and peace of mind in comparison,im not saying its perfect but theres more peace of mind and consistency compared to android

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I have already said that I am going for Android. iPhone was never my consideration.

Anyways, there were some suggestions about going for Zenfone 2 while later discussions are suggesting against it. So I think HTC desire 826 and Samsung Galaxy Alpha/A5 are shortlisted. But still I have decided to wait for delivery of Zenfone 2 to begin. A phone with 5.5" screen in regular 5" screen body looks tempting. Other specs are good too so I think it should be worth a wait.

stick to Zenfone 2 and HTC Desire 826
dont get samsung,youll regret it trust me,touchwiz is really bad

Top Bottom