missing bytes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemanth85

Broken In
i seem to have this problem of missing precious space on my drive.im using windws xp and its on the D drive of my hard disk which has a capacity of 6.97 GB.all files included in the drive have occupy a space of 5.60 GB(including all hidden files).yet i seem to have a free space of 0nly 300 MB.what could be hte problem?and what are all the files that could be safely deleted from your windows folder to free some space?

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
there mi8 be invsible files....go to tools >>folder options>> show hidden files...and now check for total space of the files

assasin

Banned
Its not a prob dude.Space dat u call missing is actually allocated for use as 'pagefile space' and reserved for other system use.If u wanna confirm dis just see how much free scape u have before enabling Hibernation after enabling it.Den u'll get the hang of things

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
You might wanna decrease the space used by Recycle Bin on your drive. Right click on the Recycly Bin and select the option of Configure drives independently ..
Now on the partition you want to recover space, move the slider to left ..

To decrease the amount of space used by System Restore, do this :
Start > Run > sysdm.cpl
Click on System Restore tab and select the drive and click on settings.
You can customize the settings here ...

Check the screeny ..

*img353.imageshack.us/img353/2853/sysdmes5.th.jpg

OP
H

hemanth85

Broken In
i tried changing the volume of the recycle bin.but it doesnt seem to show any change in drive free space

Last edited:

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
hemanth85 said:
wats the actual use of the space in system restore?
The system restore space is used to store the state of your computer at some intervals, known as system restore points.These points can be used to restore your computer to a healthy state in case something goes wrong.When a rollback is performed, files with certain executable extensions are restored and newly-created folders are removed, but items in the My Documents folders are always left untouched.

If you want to know more about System Restore, read this. ;-)

hemanth85 said:
i tried changing the volume of the recycle bin.but it doesnt seem to show any change in drive free space

The change is never reflected in free space.But the files you delete from now on will take less space.So the number of files you can keep in Recycle Bin will decrease.

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
hemanth85 said:
does minimising the size of system restore increase the size of free space?

If you don't use System Restore, you can disable it... :p It saves a lot of resources.

OP
H

hemanth85

Broken In
actually my system restore seems to be suspended.these are the files i found were hidden and occupied large space-PAGEFILE,HIBERFIL,FOUND.014.wat are these files for.wat does virtual memory do?can i bring down the hibernation file?wat does the found.014 file mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom