Microsoft's gaming division getting desperate to gain back market share

Samarth 619

Modrator @ Xbhp Biking
They are the ones making games uncool. Instead of satisfying the end users, they droop down to this BS. You may say there's nothing wrong in using women, but the article says "schoolgirls".

They've gained rights in Windows 10 to reject any hardware they find unsuitable (not defined anywhere clearly). This means that while they've restricted our Rs. 250 gamepads any access to GTA IV and Games for Windows games, now they can legally outright ban it for any game whatsoever. Why? So that their Rs. 2000 Xbox PC Gamepad can sell.

Further the DRM encountered on these games was a crapload of glitchy software which corrupts our experience, including updating the same patch again and again infinite times, not clarifying the instructions clearly, installing alternative softwares, etc.

And Xbox... was proposed to have an "online once a day" system to enable it to play games. Wow! Before gamers objected so bad that they had to pull it off.

Microsoft destroyed Nokia as it was, the symbol of innovation, rather than blatant copying.

And while they did nothing for piracy in the 90's, suddenly they seem to have woken up when the entire academics, infrastructure, banks, business world, etc. runs on Windows! And suddenly, they have more versions and updates than you can count!

And then this... showing young girls barely out of school scantily clad. Of course, they're the money stars, right?

OP
chimera201

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
^ lol they aren't school girls, they are professional dancers for hire dressed in school uniforms. It isn't a problem in general but it was GDC - a professional game developers event not E3 or TGS. Add to it that Microsoft organized a "Women in Gaming" event just before that same day. Shows how much desperate MS has become.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well they can act as much desperate as they want but it won't land them anywhere. Business in gaming is a slow process which takes a lot of time to mature, MS is trying to speed up that process without having the infrastructure for it. Desperation won't give them market share only treating their customers right way will. I used MS windows for a long time, but on Laptop I uninstalled it, even when it came free because I wanted to use Linux on it. Much better and less resource hungry than MS product.
I proudly say that I pirate MS Windows and Office, because I hate that company and they have forced me to use their product if I want to play games. I am really glad that many games are now coming to linux as well but still that number is very low and I wish more would come this way.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Well they can act as much desperate as they want but it won't land them anywhere. Business in gaming is a slow process which takes a lot of time to mature, MS is trying to speed up that process without having the infrastructure for it. Desperation won't give them market share only treating their customers right way will. I used MS windows for a long time, but on Laptop I uninstalled it, even when it came free because I wanted to use Linux on it. Much better and less resource hungry than MS product.
I proudly say that I pirate MS Windows and Office, because I hate that company and they have forced me to use their product if I want to play games. I am really glad that many games are now coming to linux as well but still that number is very low and I wish more would come this way.

Pray that Vulkan becomes mainstream, I too wish for this.. Gaming (and Photoshop) is the only thing that makes me stay with Windows

gameranand

Living to Play
Pray that Vulkan becomes mainstream, I too wish for this.. Gaming (and Photoshop) is the only thing that makes me stay with Windows

The reason for Valve to make SteamOS is becoming more clearer day by day.
Yeah Valve coming to support Linux openly have certainly changed several things and attitude of developers towards this industry. Lets see what the future holds. I for one want to see DirectX gone like it eradicated OpenGL in 1990. It'll fitting to see MS bite dust inspite of everything and their recent decisions and fury of gamers is only going to flame it.

Top Bottom