Microsoft Vista X86 or X64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

Whats the difference between Microsoft Vista X86 & X64 version. Moreover, which is better. I have a Intel C2Q 6600. Will my processor support both versions.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
The X86 one is the 32 bit version. The X64 one is the 64 bit version. Your processor doesn't matter here. If you have more than 3 GB of RAM, then you'll need the 64 bit version to fully utilize all that memory. And applications that make use of 64 bit computing will offer better performance than that of their 32 bit counterparts.

axxo

99.9% Idle
x64 is better provided if you have 4+gb of RAM for ur pc.
In few cases 32 bit apps runs better on 64 bit oses, more specifically where the image handling and large file video editing comes into picture.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
the X86 one is the 32 bit version. The X64 one is the 64 bit version. Your processor doesn't matter here.

Your processor DOES matter. You cant run a x64 xp in pentium 4 for example. C2D and Q are IA64 architecture, which is x86, plus a semi x64 architecture. It has x64 addressing, but with x86 instructions. Look it up on google, but its quite confusing, really, even after reading it a couple of times.

@go4saket
Yes, your proccy will support both versions.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
aai?
The instruction set will be the same, running 32 bits of datda max unless the software is 64bit optimized dude!

Your processor DOES matter. You cant run a x64 xp in pentium 4 for example. C2D and Q are IA64 architecture, which is x86, plus a semi x64 architecture. It has x64 addressing, but with x86 instructions. Look it up on google, but its quite confusing, really, even after reading it a couple of times.

@go4saket
Yes, your proccy will support both versions.

Think again

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Okay... apparently there are x64 versions of P4, didnt know that. I stand corrected, though. You cant run a x64 OS on a proccy that doesnt support x64.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

I have 2 GB RAM with a C2Q 6600. I know both versions are supported by my processor but with 2 GB RAM, which will perform better.

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame
I definitely recommend Vista X64 even if u have 2 GB ram cause I have used vista x64 with my C2d E6600 and 2 gb kingston ram and found it far ahead in terms of performance than vista x86(32 bit).
Almost all games will run on vista x64 and some will perform better than the 32 bit counterpart.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Okay... apparently there are x64 versions of P4, didnt know that. I stand corrected, though. You cant run a x64 OS on a proccy that doesnt support x64.

Very true

I definitely recommend Vista X64 even if u have 2 GB ram cause I have used vista x64 with my C2d E6600 and 2 gb kingston ram and found it far ahead in terms of performance than vista x86(32 bit).
Almost all games will run on vista x64 and some will perform better than the 32 bit counterpart.

ABS olutely

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom