Microsoft Plans To Grab Suse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Microsoft follows Oracle into Linux market.
Moves are big trouble for Red Hat.

Here is the full story...

*www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Story.aspx?guid={EEF34C41-480F-4ABC-9D0F-E5BC53E5C552}&siteid=

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I haven't read the article but it's a good try at scaring people. It's just that Novell will be collabrating with MS on a few things. There's just no way MS will ever enter into Open Source market. They never will show the code of their work. That's their work culture, and it's difficult to change one's work culture.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
This is Microsoft's way to apply divide and rule formula...
Supporting SuSE will definitely harm RedHat...

anandk

Distinguished Member
y not !? quite posbl !

putting a finger in every pie could be a part of ms long-term lateral expansion strategy !

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
anandk said:
y not !? quite posbl !

putting a finger in every pie could be a part of ms long-term lateral expansion strategy !

Jack of all trades..

Master of none?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
master of none possible ....

they came up with zune entered apples fortune turning forte of portable players
they came up with xbox 360 harming sony's domination of the console world
now entering the open surce world .... these guys know how to ensure the company's future .... they are everywhere .... good going balmer and billy

mehulved

mAV3 said:
master of none possible ....
now entering the open surce world .... these guys know how to ensure the company's future .... they are everywhere .... good going balmer and billy
They aren't entering Open Source world at all. They are just having a pact with Novell so the custiomers(read enterprises) who have to access both Novell's products as well as those from MS can get some integrated solutions making life easier for them at a huge cost. There is absolutely no talk in the article that MS is sharing any kind of code under and FLOSS license with anyone. So, in short they are just doing it for their underline.
I am not saying it's wrong, it is perfectly all right. But, MS is in no way enter the world of Open Source.
And there's too much opposition in the Open Source world for them to succeed. If you don't know, open source culture cannot thrive without it's community and MS won't have a community bigger then a handful, so their success in Open Source world remains just a dream.
If they are to ever succeed in Open Source arena, one of the main things they gotta learn is respect the community and other is openness. I don't see that coming from 'Steve Ballmer' and Bill Gates is as good as retired in public image. In open source world the leader works along with the public not hidden from them.
Big shots in the open source world care about their users and community. Common people have written mails to RMS on some doubts reguarding stand GPL V3 and he's replied to it. Mark Shuttleworth, in his seminar sits and talks with independent OSS developers. Will Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer do that?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You never know what M$ is upto!! They may even start selling Soaps, Coffee, clothes etc.,!!
It makes Windows users feel good if they use M$'s products!! M$ won't develop Open
Source O.S. They may develop a proprietary Linux, if Linux captures more market share. Only time will tell!!

mehulved

One thing I am sure. Linux is nothing without it's community. And it's a limping horse without GNU. And we the person who called Windows spyware won't let MS use GNU software nor will FSF comply. So, if linux goes proprietory we will see the rise of GNU/Hurd and crash of linux. And very soon I expect BSD to catch up. Just look at what PC-BSD and DesktopBSD teams have achieved in such a short period. In the world of Open Source it's community that matters not the company. Just look at Debian, suse can't even think of matching it in any way.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Mehul, I fully agree. "Linux is nothing without it's community" Look at Ubuntu, they
have a very strong community. And that's what makes it the top distro. The same is
true with Debian also.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
JGuru said:
You never know what M$ is upto!! They may develop a proprietary Linux, if Linux captures more market share.
thats what i meant ....wen i said theyv enterd the open source world .... and besides if MS decides to come in the open which certainly wont be in the case of Windows but possibly another OS developed not fully but along with MS

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
At a press conference in San Francisco, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is expected to announce a new partnership between Microsoft and Novell. The unprecedented deal will have Microsoft offering a degree of sales support for Novell's SUSE Linux while both companies work towards better interoperability between Windows and SUSE Enterprise Linux Server (SLES) on virtualization, Microsoft's Active Directory and Novell's eDirectory, and Microsoft Office and OpenOffice XML formats on the desktop.

Microsoft will also promote SLES where customers pick Linux over Windows or decide to run Linux alongside Windows. Microsoft sales staff will distribute 70,000 coupons for SLES.

As part of the agreement, Microsoft also promises not to wield its patent portfolio against SUSE Linux. Novell has put up a detailed FAQ about the deal here.
source:bitsofnews.com

I tried the link to the news posted above but it just loads and loads (MTNL capped BW here gotta save BW) so dunno if the higlighted part is in that news article.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Microsoft is now even offering freeware
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40313

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@AnandK, More freewares are in the pipeline for Windows users. With Linux you get
a whole lot of applications including a very good Image editor (GIMP), OpenOffice.org
Office suite, etc., With Windows what do you get? Nothing other than bare-bone O.S
& Media player!!! This should change. Since Windows is proprietary O.S, and MS should
definitely provide more applications for the Windows users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom