Microsoft Plans To Grab Suse!

Discussion in 'Random News' started by subratabera, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subratabera

subratabera Just another linux lover.

2. Vyasram

Vyasram The pWnster

if that's real , i can safely forget suse forever

3. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

I haven't read the article but it's a good try at scaring people. It's just that Novell will be collabrating with MS on a few things. There's just no way MS will ever enter into Open Source market. They never will show the code of their work. That's their work culture, and it's difficult to change one's work culture.

4. OP
    OP
    subratabera

subratabera Just another linux lover.

This is Microsoft's way to apply divide and rule formula...
    Supporting SuSE will definitely harm RedHat...

5. anandk

anandk Distinguished Member

y not !? quite posbl !

putting a finger in every pie could be a part of ms long-term lateral expansion strategy !

6. mail2and

mail2and Walking, since 2004.

Jack of all trades..

Master of none?

7. iMav

iMav The Devil's Advocate

master of none possible ....

they came up with zune entered apples fortune turning forte of portable players
    they came up with xbox 360 harming sony's domination of the console world
    now entering the open surce world .... these guys know how to ensure the company's future .... they are everywhere .... good going balmer and billy

8. mehulved

They aren't entering Open Source world at all. They are just having a pact with Novell so the custiomers(read enterprises) who have to access both Novell's products as well as those from MS can get some integrated solutions making life easier for them at a huge cost. There is absolutely no talk in the article that MS is sharing any kind of code under and FLOSS license with anyone. So, in short they are just doing it for their underline.
    I am not saying it's wrong, it is perfectly all right. But, MS is in no way enter the world of Open Source.
    And there's too much opposition in the Open Source world for them to succeed. If you don't know, open source culture cannot thrive without it's community and MS won't have a community bigger then a handful, so their success in Open Source world remains just a dream.
    If they are to ever succeed in Open Source arena, one of the main things they gotta learn is respect the community and other is openness. I don't see that coming from 'Steve Ballmer' and Bill Gates is as good as retired in public image. In open source world the leader works along with the public not hidden from them.
    Big shots in the open source world care about their users and community. Common people have written mails to RMS on some doubts reguarding stand GPL V3 and he's replied to it. Mark Shuttleworth, in his seminar sits and talks with independent OSS developers. Will Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer do that?

9. JGuru

JGuru Well-Known Member

You never know what M$ is upto!! They may even start selling Soaps, Coffee, clothes etc.,!!
    It makes Windows users feel good if they use M$'s products!! M$ won't develop Open
    Source O.S. They may develop a proprietary Linux, if Linux captures more market share. Only time will tell!!

10. mehulved

One thing I am sure. Linux is nothing without it's community. And it's a limping horse without GNU. And we the person who called Windows spyware won't let MS use GNU software nor will FSF comply. So, if linux goes proprietory we will see the rise of GNU/Hurd and crash of linux. And very soon I expect BSD to catch up. Just look at what PC-BSD and DesktopBSD teams have achieved in such a short period. In the world of Open Source it's community that matters not the company. Just look at Debian, suse can't even think of matching it in any way.

11. JGuru

JGuru Well-Known Member

@Mehul, I fully agree. "Linux is nothing without it's community" Look at Ubuntu, they
    have a very strong community. And that's what makes it the top distro. The same is
    true with Debian also.

12. iMav

iMav The Devil's Advocate

thats what i meant ....wen i said theyv enterd the open source world .... and besides if MS decides to come in the open which certainly wont be in the case of Windows but possibly another OS developed not fully but along with MS

13. techno_funky

techno_funky da' Ťurntable ruleth

source:bitsofnews.com

I tried the link to the news posted above but it just loads and loads (MTNL capped BW here gotta save BW) so dunno if the higlighted part is in that news article.

14. anandk

anandk Distinguished Member

15. praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

end for Novell RIP

16. JGuru

JGuru Well-Known Member

@AnandK, More freewares are in the pipeline for Windows users. With Linux you get
    a whole lot of applications including a very good Image editor (GIMP), OpenOffice.org
    Office suite, etc., With Windows what do you get? Nothing other than bare-bone O.S
    & Media player!!! This should change. Since Windows is proprietary O.S, and MS should
    definitely provide more applications for the Windows users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.