Microsoft makes a u-turn, Windows 7 testers to get free copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
In a shock turn around, Microsoft announced today that Windows 7 technical testers will be receiving a free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

In recent weeks Microsoft has faced angry reactions from bloggers and beta testers when they originally announced the testers "thanks" was the discounted pre-order offer. Blogger Paul Thurrot claimed: "the painful thing here, for beta testers, is that they've been screwed" which demonstrated the reaction to the previous announcements.

In a blog posting at Microsoft's Windows Team Blog, Brandon LeBlanc confirmed: "to show our appreciation, members of the invitation-only Windows 7 Technical Beta Program will be eligible for a free, final copy of Windows 7 Ultimate." All current members of the English technical and international mini-beta programs are eligible for a full non-upgrade copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition. Testers can get access to their copy in one of two ways:

* Download a copy and product key via Microsoft connect, English downloads will be available August 6th and other languages will follow as they become available.
* Boxed retail copies are available in a limited amount and are being offered on a first come, first served basis. These copies will not be ready until October 22nd or later.

ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley recently highlighted the testing process and how the focus has been taken away from Microsoft's beta testers. Testers are no longer held in such high esteem it seems as Microsoft only supplied the same 2 public beta builds this time around. However, it's good to see Microsoft making a u-turn and admitting they were wrong to not provide a thank you to beta testers. Hopefully with Windows 8 Microsoft will focus on beta testers once again.

neowin

kuki_295

Journeyman
Who are the official tester?
are they one who have signed for the beta program and have received beta keys?

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
It refers to beta-testers who got invited by Microsoft to test Windows 7, and not the general public who downloaded the beta.

Zeppelin

Right off the assembly line
I bought a laptop a week or so ago and I'm supposed to get a free copy of it when it comes out, so that's pretty cool.

I've switched from XP to Vista and I've been tearing my hair out after just a week. My old XP machine with 512MB ram actually runs faster than a vista machine with 4GB ram. I know I know, I can probably speed my machine up but I want to whine about vista a bit :p

/endrant

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You're daft to buy a laptop with Vista. You should have bought later, or if a laptop was so urgent, bought a "naked" system and installed your XP in it for the time being. Now when windows 7 comes out all you'll get is an upgrade disc. From that I understand that when ever you format your PC to reinstall the OS (by the way that is the Windows usp, cure all), you'll have to first install Vista, activate and then upgrade to Windows 7. Correct me if I am wrong.

Zeppelin

Right off the assembly line
I know, I probably was. The thing is, when I said I bought it I didn't really mean that I bought it myself :p It was a gift from my mum. I had also never used vista before and a few friends of mine had talked me into it by saying that it wasn't all that bad, so what the hell, I might as well buy it.

And yes, it IS just an upgrade disc. I will have to do it like you said I will. I'm starting to have a horrible feeling about this. Is my laptop life as screwed up as you make it sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom