Microsoft has decided to stick with the 'Hotmail' name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
"When we launch the mail service worldwide, it will be named Windows Live Hotmail...you will soon begin to see the Windows Live Hotmail brand show up in the beta ..."

Source

Ankur Mittal

Journeyman
Introducing Windows Live Hotmail

Microsoft and the Windows Live Mail folks today have announced they are renaming Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Hotmail - keeping the name “Hotmail” in the brand of their upcoming platform update to their online email system. Basically the thoughts make sense regarding this branding name change: users are very familiar with the name “Hotmail” and Microsoft sees this. Moving away from the Hotmail name could be alienate current Hotmail users etc. Some beta testers are expected to see the name change.
So to explain what will eventually happen: the current platform consumers use today (who are not in the Windows Live Mail beta) use MSN Hotmail. Microsoft is intending to a huge (and very much needed) upgrade to the Hotmail system. That upgrade with have MSN Hotmail transition into Windows Live Hotmail. But its still Hotmail and it will be even better after the update.
I think this branding change for Windows Live Mail to Windows Live Hotmail is a smart move and I am glad Microsoft has chosen to do this.
Also, the Hotmail Team posted a update on M9 and talked about changes and performance improvements users are seeing with M9.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
Re: Introducing Windows Live Hotmail

posted here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48952 ;-)

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
anandk said:
^ au contraire, i think he shud ne 'repped' for choosing such a fine name :D
:p:p:p
Stop putting my as* on fire.
Btw. He told on discovery that his pals thought he was in some kind of gay business when he
founded "hotmale":D:D

pushkar

Journeyman
nishant_nms said:
this step was needed as the email addresses still where @hotmail.com

I have an @live.com email address. There was a method posted on neowin on how to register @live.com address. I got it because of that.

But that method doesn't work anymore. :(

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
pushkar said:
I have an @live.com email address. There was a method posted on neowin on how to register @live.com address. I got it because of that.

But only a few people like u have such ids

Ankur Mittal

Journeyman
pushkar said:

I have three of them.They are really cool and also work with Windows Live Mail Desktop
Just on the heels of another great release for the beta (M9), I’d like to share some interesting news to our loyal users. When we launch the mail service worldwide, it will be named Windows Live Hotmail. That’s right! And for starters, some of you will begin to see the Windows Live Hotmail brand show up in the beta – first in our Microsoft internal version (dogfood) and eventually in the public version in the coming weeks.

We've had incredible success with the beta so far and learned tons from our millions of users. THANK YOU! We have used your input to make many feature and timing decisions, and now we’re announcing a naming decision based on your feedback!

Here is some background… When we decided to build a new web mail service several years ago, we had two major goals:
  1. Build a faster, simpler and safer mail service for our Hotmail customers
  2. Create a service powerful enough to meet the needs of a broader set of customers (for instance, did you know our mail is also the mail behind the new Office Live service?)
To do this, we started from scratch and built a whole new service from the ground up – and we called this Windows Live Mail. As we brought users onboard to this new service and had them kick the tires, we learned quickly that users loved it. We knew we were onto a good thing. We also found that many users were extremely loyal to the Hotmail brand and perceived the beta as an upgrade to Hotmail. In fact, our most loyal users have been very happy with Hotmail for years and while they loved the improvements in the beta, some were a bit confused by name change.

As we prepare to launch the final version of our new web mail service, we recognize the importance of ensuring that our 260+ million existing customers come over to the new service smoothly and without confusion. By adopting the name “Windows Live Hotmail”, we believe we’re bringing together the best of both worlds – new and old. We’re able to offer the great new technology that Windows Live has to offer while also bringing the emotional connection many existing and loyal users have with Hotmail.

*bink.nu/Themes/default/images/NewsSource.gif News Source: mailcall.spaces.live.com

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Some guys are too fashionable here. I love Hotmail's beautiful Interface. Excellent work done by them. Anyways, thanks for the info anand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom