Microsoft disables Windows Sidebar and Gadgets

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
Microsoft has recently announced-an automated fix which disables Windows Sidebar and Gadgets:-x on all supported versions of Windows Vista and 7. Basically running Windows Sidebar or Gadgets can allow hackers to exploit recently discovered vulnerabilities, allowing them to run malicious code in the background.:-?

*tbreak.com/tech/files/gadgets-600x305.png

"Disabling the Windows Sidebar and Gadgets can help protect customers from vulnerabilities that involve the execution of arbitrary code by the Windows Sidebar when running insecure Gadgets. In addition, Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and can access your computer’s files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time. An attacker who successfully exploited a Gadget vulnerability could run arbitrary code in the context of the current user. If the current user is logged on with administrative user rights, an attacker could take complete control of the affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights. ”

For the time being, and for the foreseeable future, at the very least, it seems like watching pictures on the side along with big calendars, system and other “fun” gadgets will no longer be the case.

This will only Affects this OS(s)
  • Windows Vista Service Pack 2
  • Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 2
  • Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems
  • Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 1
  • Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
  • Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1
Those who are using Windows XP SP3,Professional,And all The Windows Server Operating System will not be affected with this change:-D

Source

OP
101gamzer

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
its not disabled in my windows 7 till now.

Mine too:) I dont know if the fix will be in update form that's why i edited thread Its not sure It will be in a Update form,Most probably it will be in Update Form:-D

EDIT Its in an installer package for more info go-to Microsoft Security Advisory: Vulnerabilities in Gadgets could allow remote code execution

Last edited:

spitfire

Gizmo Freak !
Its likely more of a microsoft ploy to lure people to Windows 8 metro ..since after the update, only win 8 will be having gadger/widget like thibg on desktop

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Is Microsoft insane! They can't just disable something even if it's a vulnerable point instead of "fixing" it! :|

I like the gadgets of Windows 7.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
That's insane!
Microsoft should have fixed it instead.. :-/

Offtopic: Ico will come now and say "Use linux!" :))

Tech&ME

Banned
Oh ! well, in my case, its not disabled till now. I like to see the weather update on my desktop......... oooops !!!

Note : Windows Server does not allow gadgets at all.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
That is stupid of them. I use gadgets big time. Any idea of the KB number. I will disable it.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
meh. Use Linux.

The only gadget I use is the Daemon Tools gadget to mount/unmount images. It's a good gadget.

Top Bottom