Microsoft about to debut antivirus tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Microsoft about to debut antivirus tools?

Speculation among security industry sources suggests that Microsoft may be preparing to introduce its standalone antivirus software next week.

Industry watchers said Thursday that the software giant very well could take the wraps off its emerging security product plans in a scheduled announcement on Monday, although the sources indicated their belief that the applications themselves may not reach the market for several more months. Microsoft representatives did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the rumor.

Read More: News.com

busyanuj

In the zone
seems like everyone should welcome another buggy software code from the Micro$oft stable.

Rather than releasing Anti-virus and Antispyware, Microsoft needs to concentrate more on improving their OS and Internet Explorer so that it is less vulnerabe to viruses, internet based attacks & other cr@p.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
busyanuj said:
seems like everyone should welcome another buggy software code from the Micro$oft stable.

Rather than releasing Anti-virus and Antispyware, Microsoft needs to concentrate more on improving their OS and Internet Explorer so that it is less vulnerabe to viruses, internet based attacks & other cr@p.

Good thought.

Gaurav

In the zone
I fully agree with busyanuj. The should improve their OS first and then change their software line.

rohanbee

Padawan
busyanuj said:

Well put !! :)
If microsoft comes out with an a/v be rest assured there will be as many hackers and virus creators trying to find solutions to bypass their software first. :wink:
Might release some pressure off norton and macafee though.

Sometimes i have this really controversial thought that says that these a/v creators have a hand in creating these viruses them selves. After all where would their billion dollar industry be if there were no VIRUS CREATERS!!!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
busyanuj said:

No Sir .. Thats business .. Just create the problem and then sell its solution .. As easy as that ..

rajas

In the zone
MS is causing a lot of speculation introducing lots of software. Office 12, LongHorn, Might be a full version of Antispyware. and now the Antivirus. Hope it would be a good 1 and would sit in the crown of MS.

I too agree with it_waaznt_me stated a good thought, that its pure business that way.

Hope you guys visit bink.nu. It posted an article in December '04 What's to come from Microsoft in 2005

Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows 2003 Storage Server R2
Windows 2003 Small Business Server Service Pack 1
Windows 2003 Small Business Server R2
Biztalk 2006 + 64 edition
Commerce Server 200x 64
Windows XP x64
Windows Server 2003 x64
SQL 2000 Service Pack 4
Virtual Server 2005 Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Encarta 2006
Money 2006
Longhorn Beta (client)
Longhorn Server Beta 1
Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 (includes some elements of Edge Services like Sender ID)
Monthly IMF (spam filter) updates for Exchange 2003
MSN Messenger 7
MSN Search web
MSN Search desktop
Corperate Error Reporting 3.0
Automated Deployment Services 1.1
ISA 2004 Service Pack 1
Office 12 Beta
Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Windows Update Services (SUS 2.0)
Sharepoint Portal Server 2005
ISA 2004 Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Data Protection Server (DPS)
Windows PE 2005
Windows 2000 "Security Rollup Pack 2"
ADAM 2.0
System Center 2005 (SMS 2003 sp1, MOM 2005, SQL reporting)
Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio 2005 express editions (C#, VB, ...)
Visual Studio 2005 Team System
SQL Server 2005
SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
AntiVirus
Antivirus Removal Tool (Titan)
AntiSpyware
Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Edition
Hot Patch Technology Support (part of common engineering initiative)
.NET Framework 2.0
Commerce Server 2006 beta
ASP.net 2.0
Network Access Protection (NAP)
Windows Update (support for more MS products)
"Instanbul" Windows Messenger (Voip client for LCS 2005)
Xbox 2 US release ?
Fingeprint reader in Intellimouse Explorer
Windows Mobile 2005 (3G [UMTS] , Wifi, VGA)
ActiveSync 4.0
Live Meeting 2005
Office for Small Business Management
Office 2003 sp2 ?
CRM 2005
Mappoint 2005/2006 ?
Windows XP Reduced Media Edition(Without Media Player, Europe Edition)
Digital Image Suite 11 ?
Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer Tool 2.0
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2006 update
Xbox: Kameo: Elements of Power
Xbox: BC
Xbox: Jade Empire
Xbox: Conker: Live & Reloaded
Xbox: Forza Motorsport
PC Game: Vanguardâ„¢ - Saga of Heroes
PC Game: Dungeon Siege® 2
ACS (Audit Collection System)
Microsoft Axapta 4.0
PCGAME:Microsoft Age of Empires III
iSCSI Initiator 2.0 (Osaka)

and many of them are released for public and many more to come.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
oh cmon ppl. u guys say that MS should improve its OS. they might already be doing it. they have an anti-spyware application and they're about to release an AV s/w. why dont u try putting two and two together? cant MS use these technologies and integrate some of them into the core of the OS and take preventive measures? when security is a concern, they'll definitely work toward it, coz they wouldnt want ppl not buying their OS and lose money, and the only way to make sure of that is increased security.
maybe we can expect a lot in longhorn.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
No Corny .. Microsoft is facing one of those Antitrust for that too ..Remember Netscape sued MS for integrating IE in the OS itself .. Its like killing your competition .. Security firms will get a big impact if MS starts integrating Antivirus in the operating system itself .. They are on pressure to remove WMP and IE from Windows already ..

digen

Youngling
Whats with software being buggy in the first place may I ask?
Its code after all & it cant be 100% perfect !
Well I'm no MS fanboy nor a MS haters club lifetime gold member but think logically,
Flashback: when firefox was making news "the most secure browser" rounds on the internet how many vulnerabilities existed then?
Fast Forward May 16, 2005 1:09 am go to any security website like secunia & catch up with the stats & count how many have emerged after that,the results are there too see.
Its the law of the internet after all.MS Windows is a leading product used in the world today.Admit it or hate it for being there but thats reality.Naturally all the exploits,vulnerabilities will be aimed at that OS aint it? or will people waste their time in finding vulnerabilities for a lesser known OS such as BeOS?What will they gain in return if a lesser audience is using it?
Where as the returns are massive if they do the same with something like MS Windows.
IE isnt secure for the exact same reason.Ofcourse I do agree response time is where they can improve.The time between the vulnerability comes out & a patch is released.
But coming to the conclusion that the code is buggy doesnt do justice.I'm mightly impressed with their Anti-spyware solution but maybe thats just me.
Just my 0.02$.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Batty said:
No Corny .. Microsoft is facing one of those Antitrust for that too ..Remember Netscape sued MS for integrating IE in the OS itself .. Its like killing your competition .. Security firms will get a big impact if MS starts integrating Antivirus in the operating system itself .. They are on pressure to remove WMP and IE from Windows already ..
well, i wasnt talking about MS integrating the entire AV software into the OS(heck they'll never do that, the chance of cashing in on it would be in jeopardy then), i meant just using some of those as first aid measures or warning systems.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
or maybe billy shud stop playing spoil-sport and release his source code :p we all know how firefox is being supported by the community, how linux is supported and how mac is supported. Just release the damn source code to the community and let them solve the problems...

i know people may try to copy windows... but err.... who the F wants to copy windows when its a rip-off from other operating systems.... here is a quote from billy boy himself....

Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's store before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and steal the stereo."
-- Bill Gates, Microsoft, 3/14/89--as quoted in MacWEEK, 1/9/90 p. 23
:shock: :shock:

windows is popular.. we need to give credit to billy for that... but he needs to be a little less mean... why can't he atleast reveal the portions of his OS which are vlunerable.. i mean IE and Outlook... that may solve most of the probz...

as for longhorn... errr... nothing is permanent in life, except for the longhorn development program :p

[flAsh]

In the zone
I had a terrible experience with MS antispyware
So i am never ever going to get a MS antivirus ever untill it matures and gets a good rating from u ppl

OP
Sourabh

Sourabh

Laptoping
well they have been outta bizness from my end coz i aint using any av/firewall/spyware blocking tool past 2 yrs

its just my unlimited dialup connection, Firefox with adblock, default windows xp sp2 firewall and thats it

no other protection from viruses, trojans and spywares and still whenever u run a spyware proggie once in a fortnight i din get more than 2-3 bugs

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
See everybody talks bad about MS.

But we must not forget
MS is the one which provided World's first user friendly OS in DOS.
They pioneered in SOftware Tech. and Windows is still used on almost 90-95% pcs in the world. We can't criticize them because we still need them.

Think if in 1 night MS bankrupts and shutdown. Whole Software and IT industry will be shunned.

Lakhs and lakhs will be jobless.

So we can't run after MS everytime. Give them another chance as they have done a very good job with MS antispyware and hoping for more good work on Antivirus and Longhorn.

Charley

Just Do It
Guys, I read this in some magazine not long ago, that the people who create viruses are the Antivirus software manufacturers. Lol, but I really dont how true it is. I will search for that link and put it up here, later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom